Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More ERP gantries, higher ERP rates to ease congestion!!!

Default Re: More ERP gantries, higher ERP rates to ease congestion!!!

I will remember this worst 2 years of rising cost for time to come, as it really affects my decision to...

1. sell the car (ERP/petrol hike)
    2. use candles (Electricity hike)
    3. grow my own potatoes (Flour hike)
    4. Rent DVDs (cinema price hike)
    5. have anymore kids (overall cost of living)
    6. Migrate

Quote Originally Posted by Sjourn View Post
    I will remember this worst 2 years of rising cost for time to come, as it really affects my decision to...

But there was an ABC News webcast video that said we are the happiest in Asia.
    happy to pay more for ERP
    Last edited by ricohflex; 31st January 2008 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    But there was an ABC News webcast video that said we are the happiest in Asia.
    happy to pay more for ERP

We Singaporean are ERP mah. Enjoy Rising Prices.

Now I'm seriously considering to migrate!!!

hopefully not migrate to London... if you think the road pricing in Singapore is bad look at those charges...

Pay And Pay...

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    why an ERP at Commonwealth Ave?!?! there is no jam here aT ALL!
    same thoughts.. i cannot comprehend also.. commonwealth what the... I travel there every single day, on and off work.. what jam?! probably only a small stretch of bottle neck before BV MRT but that's also cleared in like 5 mins or so...

the road tax reduction will only benefit the rich with the big cars.. worst hit will be those in the middle class who needs their cars for work.

imagine a person who must get thru a gantry at 50c every day, 20 work days a month for 12 months is $120
    a 2800cc car road tax of $2438 per year, 15% road tax reduction is $365.7 savings. Saves $245 yearly
    a 1500cc car road tax of $808 per year, 15% road tax reduction is $120.9 savings. Saves $0.9 yearly
    van, $500 per year regardless of cc. 15% road tax reduction is $75. Needs to fork out $45 more yearly

knowing that the gantry will very unlikely to cost $0.5 each pass.. it's better to buy bigger cars so the impact of ERP will not affect you so much.. anything smaller than 1500cc sorry mates.. you gonna be paying more.

*road tax worked based on cars <10years old.

just for the fun of it.. a 4500cc car pays $5566 yearly, saves $834.9! that's some food for thought.. ERP gantry for better road planning in future?
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    imagine a person who must get thru a gantry at 50c every day, 20 work days a month for 12 months is $120
    a 2800cc car road tax of $2438 per year, 15% road tax reduction is $365.7 savings. Saves $245 yearly
    a 1500cc car road tax of $808 per year, 15% road tax reduction is $120.9 savings. Saves $0.9 yearly
    van, $500 per year regardless of cc. 15% road tax reduction is $75. Needs to fork out $45 more yearly

knowing that the gantry will very unlikely to cost $0.5 each pass.. it's better to buy bigger cars so the impact of ERP will not affect you so much.. anything smaller than 1500cc sorry mates.. you gonna be paying more.
    i am laughing when i read this

flintstones car isit, 2800cc car petrol consumption pwn 1500cc car petrol consumption

and petrol prices are only going to go up, up and away

same thoughts.. i cannot comprehend also.. commonwealth what the... I travel there every single day, on and off work.. what jam?! probably only a small stretch of bottle neck before BV MRT but that's also cleared in like 5 mins or so...

the road tax reduction will only benefit the rich with the big cars.. worst hit will be those in the middle class who needs their cars for work.

just for the fun of it.. a 4500cc car pays $5566 yearly, saves $834.9! that's some food for thought.. ERP gantry for better road planning in future?
    Difficult to compare. There are the very rich and the very poor.

They pay more GST and they pay zero income tax.

Do your know that if your family gross income is less than $1500, you qualify to receive all financial assistance offered by all the organisations.

Now thay are looking at how to help those income between $1500 and $4000. A poor and not so rich group.

Do your know that if your family gross income is less than $1500, you qualify to receive all financial assistance offered by all the organisations.

Now thay are looking at how to help those income between $1500 and $4000. A poor and not so rich group.

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    north south highway 20 billion dollars

now who will pay for this
    Better road also complaint. No road also complaint. Traffic jam also complaint.

........ complaint....... also complaint.... also complaint... also complaint.... tell you more also complaint.. don't tell also complaint..

Any solution? Offer some.....

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i am laughing when i read this

flintstones car isit, 2800cc car petrol consumption pwn 1500cc car petrol consumption

and petrol prices are only going to go up, up and away
    i am comparing based on current cost of ownership,

eg:
    a Lexus LS450 owner can spend $2K on petrol every month and a Chery QQ spend $700 on petrol. This is the lifestyle their current income can afford.
    However, because of a change in gov't policy, the rich Lexus owner sees himself saving $800+ a year. While the Chery QQ (road tax $418) will have to pay $57.3 more every year (based on earlier $0.5 per day).

I'm not comparing FC or how much a Lexus cost compared to a QQ. If you think it rationaly instead of replying for the sake of replying. Why should a rich Lexus owner save $834 while a not as rich man who needs a Chery QQ to ferry this son to the in-laws in the morning and wife to work pay $57.3 more every year? Is there no logic in my calculation?

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post

How is this related to the ERP?

Govt to spend S$14b to improve Singapore's road infrastructure
    By Chio Su-Mei, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 30 January 2008 2251 hrs

SINGAPORE : The government will spend S$14 billion to improve Singapore's road infrastructure over the coming years.

The money will go towards building the new North-South Expressway, the earlier announced Marina Coastal Expressway, widening the Central and Tampines Expressways, and improving various interchanges.

The Transport Ministry is optimistic the changes will soften the traffic gridlock.

The go-ahead has been given for the new North-South Expressway, which will cost some S$7 billion to S$8 billion and be ready by 2020.

The 21-kilometre expressway will link Woodlands and Yishun in the north to the East Coast Parkway.

It will run somewhat parallel to the Central Expressway, thereby relieving traffic from the heavily-used CTE.

The S$2.5 billion Marina Coastal Expressway, linking the eastern and western parts to Marina Bay, will be ready by 2013.

Then there is the widening of the Central and Tampines Expressways, which will be completed by 2011.

When completed, the CTE will have four lanes on either side.

The Ministry is confident these changes will make road travel more efficient.

But Singaporeans are mixed in their views.

One person said, "I'm actually looking forward to all the new highways, because just by coming out of the new KPE, it's improving traffic a lot. I've used it, and I'm very happy with it."

Another noted, "There will always be people wanting to buy cars. So long as the government allows that, I think this thing (congestion) will still keep on continuing."

A third added, "The government wants to have 6 million people. There's no way it can stop."

Others offered alternatives which they think will work.

One person suggested, "They have to make more roads underground."

Another commented, "If you can get from Point A to Point B very conveniently on public transport, then I think I wouldn't be driving a car."

A third added, "Staggering working hours is a good idea."

Whatever the view, it will take some time for the initiatives to settle in, and the authorities are hoping more people will switch to public transport to ensure Singapore does not end up in a gridlock. - CNA/ms

more roads means more erp gantries......

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    Better road also complaint. No road also complaint. Traffic jam also complaint.

........ complaint....... also complaint.... also complaint... also complaint.... tell you more also complaint.. don't tell also complaint..

Any solution? Offer some.....
    none... coz we are living in singapore. didn't you hear the song from the Complaint Choir?

Whatever the view, it will take some time for the initiatives to settle in, and the authorities are hoping more people will switch to public transport to ensure Singapore does not end up in a gridlock.

right... so long as the public transport do not improve in their service, i wonder who will switch over.

My bigger fear is the changes and improvements to the public transport system is presently only on paper. Nothing implemented yet and even if the infrastructure has been laid, it takes time to iron out any chinks. With the taxi price hike, we saw a public transport system being stretched to the brim. Trains packed and buses late etc etc. Now with the ERP rise and opening of gantries everywhere even in HDB areas like Bukit Merah??? Yes more people might decide to take public transport but are the public transport providers going to put more vehicles on the road? Or are they going to try packing everyone tighter than before? Presently the new buses and MRT trains launched have their seats reduced to enable more standing room. Are we going to one day see standing room only trains and buses with perhaps selected seats allocated only to elderly and infirm?

Sigh I fear taking MRT in the next few months.

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    My bigger fear is the changes and improvements to the public transport system is presently only on paper. Nothing implemented yet and even if the infrastructure has been laid, it takes time to iron out any chinks. With the taxi price hike, we saw a public transport system being stretched to the brim. Trains packed and buses late etc etc. Now with the ERP rise and opening of gantries everywhere even in HDB areas like Bukit Merah??? Yes more people might decide to take public transport but are the public transport providers going to put more vehicles on the road? Or are they going to try packing everyone tighter than before? Presently the new buses and MRT trains launched have their seats reduced to enable more standing room. Are we going to one day see standing room only trains and buses with perhaps selected seats allocated only to elderly and infirm?

Sigh I fear taking MRT in the next few months.
    bring and wear gas mask soon! smelly!

those stay in north and work in CBD pay a lot. Eg if you stay in TPY, morning 2 ERP - CTE & CBD, evening 3 ERP - 2 x CTE & TPY

1 day already $4 to $7 gone, might as well take mrt, but then again challeging to squeeze with so many people...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast