Thread: Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly Sensor Brush

Default Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly Sensor Brush

wondering anyone here using the above mentioned product?

in particular either of the following..
    Arctic Butterfly 724 http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=3
    Arctic Butterfly SL700 http://www.visibledust.com/products3.php?pid=1

is it useful / effective as well as pricing and availability in Singapore?
    any comments are welcomed.

Default Re: Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly Sensor Brush

wondering if its worth buying these products too

from wat i hear, its a reputable brand, and the products really do work

as for availability in s'pore, i doubt any shops sell it. if u wanna buy, u have to ship directly from their site (not advisable - shipping over $60), or buy from online cam stores (eg bhphoto, adorama etc)

cathay photo carries visible dust products, when i was last in singapore, got my arctic butterfly from them, don't know which model though, too lazy to find out

if you google for reviews on their products, more often than not people give a glowing glossover and praise it. the only problem (and fact) is that their products are exorbitantly priced. so learn how to save on what you can, for example, the eclipse solution is not really that expensive (although ppcp does have a cheap alternative), but the sensor swabs are sickening in price for a little stick with some cloth around it. you can easily replace those with pec pads (not cheap either, but significantly cheaper while giving you peace of mind) wrapped around the swab sticks.

the brush itself - well i have the product, to me, it seems ridiculous now to pay more than $100 (yes, it costs that much) for a brush which is spun by some cheapo mini-fan lookalike gadget where you just stick the brush in.. but i don't really have the time to slowly make one out and buy proper brush.

it works, but like i've told 2.8 it only works for UNWELDED dust, welded dust is another thing altogether, which requires wet cleaning (i.e. sensor swab/pec-pad + solution)

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    cathay photo carries visible dust products, when i was last in singapore, got my arctic butterfly from them, don't know which model though, too lazy to find out
    does ur artic butterfly have a detachable brush? if so i believe its the 1 in the middle range. the smaller 1 withouth detachable brush is the entry level 1

Quote Originally Posted by 2.8photography View Post
    does ur artic butterfly have a detachable brush? if so i believe its the 1 in the middle range. the smaller 1 withouth detachable brush is the entry level 1
    yes, the brush can be detatched

pardon me, but whats 'unwelded' dust?

i was thinking of getting 1 of these brushes.. yea the price is but CNY is coming and i am lazy too..
    a side noob question, can the brush be washed/cleaned in anyway ?

Quote Originally Posted by FilterFunk View Post
    pardon me, but whats 'unwelded' dust?

i was thinking of getting 1 of these brushes.. yea the price is but CNY is coming and i am lazy too..
    a side noob question, can the brush be washed/cleaned in anyway ?
    yes, there are cleaning instructions - i can't remember exactly what to be used because i have not done it yet, too lazy. i'm quite sure you can google it somewhere though, i think some form of alcohol which you can get from pharmacies? was mentioned somewhere before, only need to clean once in a blue moon.

unwelded dust and welded dust - the former is simply, dust which can actually be blown away with your blower, but of course the arctic butterfly would use its new-fangled technology thing (actually static electricity, if i'm not wrong) to lift it off, if you blow might still remain inside, etc, or even introduce new dust. welded dust is dust which is "welded" or attached to a surface with moisture. cannot be removed by arctic butterfly OR blower. need wet cleaning to remove.

ah.. thanks for the enlightenment..

any other users to share experience?

Got it from Cathay Photo 1 month ago. Very good and effective for cleaning dust on CMOS sensor
    Buying a DSLR/SLR does'nt make you a photographer, It makes you a DSLR/SLR owner :)

Yeah it works very well... Got one and never failed me before.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    yes, the brush can be detatched
    then i guess its the mid-range model - artic butterfly 724 i think

Quote Originally Posted by Chrislim View Post
    Got it from Cathay Photo 1 month ago. Very good and effective for cleaning dust on CMOS sensor
    how much did u pay for ur artic butterfly?

it's about $180 from cathay.