Thread: yellow flower from balcony..

Default yellow flower from balcony..

i took this flower macro some time back.. with a fuji s5700 in macro mode.. dug it up coz there was another thread discussing the use of a "black card" as background.. will like to seek some feedback..

shot was a typical flower growing in my mother's "garden" in the balcony.. which was growing amongst other plants like chili padis.. cactuses.. and some others that i dunno the names..

the "original" background behind this shot were the leaves of other plants.. then the window grill.. then behind those were the hdb blocks opposite.. i somewhat thought that i couldn't avoid these "ugly looking" backgrounds under that circumstances and so used my ring binder as the background..

was it a good idea? or should i have tried other angles or positions to isolate the flower from the background? does the black seem very "unnatural" for a background?

please advise.. =)

Default Re: yellow flower from balcony..

no feedback? :S

For me i would prefer to have a nice clean uniformed colored (usually black or green) back ground so that it would make the subject stands out and provide no distraction. On the subject of the black card, i find it unnecessary to use it as the blacking out the BG can be done out of camera.

Composition wise, i find that there are quite a fair bit of empty space, maybe you could have place your flower at the upper left "thirds" of the frame and is a pity that the flower behind got blocked by the leaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
    For me i would prefer to have a nice clean uniformed colored (usually black or green) back ground so that it would make the subject stands out and provide no distraction. On the subject of the black card, i find it unnecessary to use it as the blacking out the BG can be done out of camera.

Composition wise, i find that there are quite a fair bit of empty space, maybe you could have place your flower at the upper left "thirds" of the frame and is a pity that the flower behind got blocked by the leaf.
    hi how do you "black out the background out of camera"?

oh.. as for the placement of the flower.. the pic was meant to be used as a wallpaper.. so the left corners were deliberately left empty (for the icons on my xp).. sorry for not mentioning.. yah think the flower behind could do better if not blocked too.. =)

Use a very small aperture and flash as the main light for the subject. The light falloff will make the BG black.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Use a very small aperture and flash as the main light for the subject. The light falloff will make the BG black.
    the on-board flash will be sufficient for this?

shall experiment these few days.. =P

thanks~!

i think this is a shot rather well done. i like the clean bg and the way the flower stands out.

Select your back ground with care (ie. least messy BG, uniform colored), the subject to background distance also plays a part. Using flash also helps, can be done without flash too, i under expose my pics when i shoot then later brighten up the pics during PP.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
    Select your back ground with care (ie. least messy BG, uniform colored), the subject to background distance also plays a part. Using flash also helps, can be done without flash too, i under expose my pics when i shoot then later brighten up the pics during PP.
    hmm.. shall try with changing the background.. (though the balcony is not offering much alternatives haha).. thanks for the advice.. btw.. the underexposing then brighten up method is really new.. =)

Quote Originally Posted by schon View Post
    i think this is a shot rather well done. i like the clean bg and the way the flower stands out.
    thanks schon..

Deregistered

Composition-wise, I'd dump the shot, with the dead space and the overblown flower and the weak use of DOF. Execution-wise, well, I think others have commented about the use of black cloth/board/etc.

Personally, I'd always prefer to get it right straight out from the camera. In which case, you'd want to start by thinking and working along the advice offered by Taurean and Zac08. Like I mentioned to yourself and a couple of others before, the really good folks don't use such nonsense. They get their basics right - composition, exposure, compensation.

Background
    Personally I agree with having the dark background out from the camera. Even if it's not totally dark, a little leaves green is making the photo more natural. Not to mention saving the time for setting up the manual background. Some macro expert can even set the background effect with 2nd flash.

Flash
    I still do not know what should be the ideal setting and effect for shooting flower. But if flash is used, having diffuser is almost a must. Details have to be shown yet not blown out.

Composition
    Personally I still do not like the idea of having the object almost right at the middle. And the focusing object should be bigger and not wasting spaces.

Just my little opinion.
    Sony Alpha

hi azure and yannh.. thanks for the critique.. (btw how come clubsnap server like problematic lately ah? -.-)

Quote Originally Posted by ssping83 View Post
    hi how do you "black out the background out of camera"?

oh.. as for the placement of the flower.. the pic was meant to be used as a wallpaper.. so the left corners were deliberately left empty (for the icons on my xp).. sorry for not mentioning.. yah think the flower behind could do better if not blocked too.. =)

Me don't like the overexposed flower, and the composition. The leaves are a major distration. If you want to use it as a wallpaper, too subject is too deadcenter.

you want it give it empty space for wallpaper purpose, then maybe can try a bolder approach like placing the subject at the right-bottom third.

Don't think this is a macro shot. Placing the flower right at the centre does not work for me as well. If place at the lower right thirds, you can even place captions to your shot.
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|