Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: asians in australia: cause for concern?

Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

Quote Originally Posted by donkuok View Post
    To me, there is not much different. But I find NZ is more friendly than OZ. May be I stayed there quite long. I hanged out together with kiwis, HK, TW, malaysian and even cambodian. You know wat I didnt hang out with singaporeans coz they just too arrogant and ignorant.
    Was just talking about this with a friend yesterday, we agree that many are arrogant. Just a generalisation - because we also know many nice and not-arrogant, but the bad seem to stand out more than the good
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

You know wat I didnt hang out with singaporeans coz they just too arrogant and ignorant.
    second that. met a group of singaporean girls at a hostel in Tasmania, even though i was talking to my friend (also singaporean) in english, they started to talk some nonsense in singlish and seem to poke fun about our (and their) own country...

To me, there is not much different. But I find NZ is more friendly than OZ. May be I stayed there quite long. I hanged out together with kiwis, HK, TW, malaysian and even cambodian. You know wat I didnt hang out with singaporeans coz they just too arrogant and ignorant.

Been in Australia for work instead of studies, but generally, here are some things that you should think about:

- You cannot change the world but yourself.
    - Be friendly to everyone.
    - Don't have to be defensive about being Asian/Singaporean.
    - Learn about their culture and don't behave as if every country you go to has to be the next Singapore. You will love it. Don't impose your own culture onto others when you are a guest in their home country.
    - Have an open mind.
    - Smile more. Smiles neutralize a lot of negatives aimed at you.
    - Don't be an ugly Singaporean. We have enough bad image overseas.

Enjoy your time in Australia. I spent a lot of time in Melbourne and Sydney, but not in Perth (only a week there). What I have seen and experienced, I like. There was this one time when I was the only Asian in Esplanade in Melbourne, but everyone was nice to me, when I thought "shiat! This is it, they are going to chew me up and spit me out of their mouth" but that did not happen. If you scare yourself silly before heading there, you will always be on the negative when things happen, and that really will work against you when you interact with people. So throw all these negative things out of your head and simply go there and experience things and be nice.
    Last edited by microcosm; 30th January 2008 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by microcosm View Post
    Been in Australia for work instead of studies, but generally, here are some things that you should think about:

- Learn about their culture and don't behave as if every country you go to has to be the next Singapore. You will love it. Don't impose your own culture onto others when you are a guest in their home country.
    - Have an open mind.

Enjoy your time in Australia. I spent a lot of time in Melbourne and Sydney, but not in Perth (only a week there). What I have seen and experienced, I like. There was this one time when I was the only Asian in Esplanade in Melbourne, but everyone was nice to me, when I thought "shiat! This is it, they are going to chew me up and spit me out of their mouth" but that did not happen. If you scare yourself silly before heading there, you will always be on the negative when things happen, and that really will work against you when you interact with people. So throw all these negative things out of your head and simply go there and experience things and be nice.
    well said.

My sister works in NZ for more than 10 years and she never encounters racism whatsoever. In fact, all her bosses are very nice to her and encouraging. What's more, her hubby works with NZ govt. Big house big car and no worries. I wish I'll be there.
    Canon EOS 70D + 40D

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    that is a very good point - i think the ts should listen to those who have been living in australia as asians - they would know best, no?

anyone else - well, it's your guess how accurate they are.
    That is very true.

It is difficult for someone to give you an advice about this subject.

When I wanted to come to Australia some 20 odd years ago, my grandfather told me that the Ang Mohs would cut off my 12" long braided pigtail before they let into the country.

Last edited by Sion; 30th January 2008 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    That is very true.

When I wanted to come to Australia some 20 odd years ago, my grandfather told me that the Ang Mohs would cut of my 12" long braided pigtail before they let into the country.

you manchu is it?!

This is also what they said to Kitaro when he wanted to come and do a concert here some years ago !

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showpost....39&postcount=5

That is very true.

When I wanted to come to Australia some 20 odd years ago, my grandfather told me that the Ang Mohs would cut off my 12" long braided pigtail before they let into the country.

Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    This is also what they said to Kitaro when he wanted to come and do a concert here some years ago !

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showpost....39&postcount=5
    omfg!!! but i do remember when i came back from overseas with long hair even though i didn't get stopped i would get stares on the street and even had an ah peh point at me and say gangster in dialect!

Quote Originally Posted by microcosm View Post

- Have an open mind.

Learn to drink XXXX Beer.
    Learn to drink Fosters Beer.
    Eat Red Rooster.
    Aussie Rules is a game.
    Cricket is a religion.
    Barbie is food.
    Last edited by aryanto; 30th January 2008 at 05:06 PM. Reason: got 1 too many X in my original post

but if you had worn your beautiful, beautiful afghan girl shawl

nothing of that sort would have happened, and your 12" pigtail can set guiness world record already!

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    Learn to drink XXXX Beer.
    Learn to drink Fosters Beer.
    Eat Red Rooster.
    Aussie Rules is a game.
    Cricket is a religion.
    Barbie is food.
    mate, Fosters is an urban legend in Australia. I've yet to see it being dispensed or sold in any of the watering holes I frequent in Melbourne.

and Aussie Rules aka AFL is the religion. in Melbourne at least. till summer comes, then cricket takes over. (=

I agree about the Fosters. It's like non existent in OZ.

I think its mainly XXXX (for the uninitiated, this is a beer and not a certain kind of publication... and is pronounced 4eks) and maybe VB in Melbourne as well... at least while I was there some time back...

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    and Aussie Rules aka AFL is the religion. in Melbourne at least.
    was once, on my sojourns in Melbourne, I bumped into a bunch of football hooligan looking types running down the street, and what they they do?... they good naturedly tossed the ball to me... of course I tossed it back...

for beers.. i believe different states have different 'following' for beers..

from where i am staying at the moment, its definitely Tooheys and perhaps.. VB (aka Victoria Bitter)
    heard of XXXX but Foster? nah.

Don't worry too much really..... Aussies are generally nice people. You will get one or two sods who are racists but just walk away.

I've encountered many nice people down under. Once a guy went out of his way to walk my wife and me to a certain location (we lost our way) even though it was 20 mins away and even gave us his mobile number just in case we needed more help.

Trust me, you will meet more nice people then nasty ones!

Favourite Aussie beer for me...... Toohey's Old for sure.... Crown Lager is good as well.

omg Tooheys adverts are superb. heh. Crown Draught ads are equally as hilarious at times, especially the Big Ad one.

anyway, hope all this light banter has showed the OP that Australia is filled with so many light hearted, good natured blokes and sheilas that you'll fall in love with. keep an open mind, and enjoy/soak in the experiences that come along with the journey. afterall, not many people get the opportunity of being exposed to a foreign culture for an extended period of time.

just remember to use sunscreen... its easy to get sunburnt when the weather is cool even when the sun is shining brightly... you don't feel the effect on the skin till its too late...

OT... never been impressed with Oz beers... Theakston Old Peculiar old English Ale for me

HOHO PRO http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23147671-2,00.html so PRO
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23147995-2,00.html

The Australians also can be very friendly when drunk!
    I don't know any of them in this photograph except the other guy with black hair.
    Notice how my 70-200 is being washed with beer, and also that I look a little bit asian.
    Last edited by adamadam; 2nd February 2008 at 10:16 AM.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast