Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 111

Thread: asians in australia: cause for concern?

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    TS is going overseas for long term, obviously his first to Perth. he has some concerns, raised them here and asked about the situation. i don't see the need for name callings and any other sarcasms against him.

  2. #42
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    You're going to meet some nasty people and at the same time good people in Australia.

    Just keep an open mind and beware of the environment where you're at and you'll be just find.

    Quote Originally Posted by Murcielago View Post
    i just read the news report about a malaysian man stabbing ppl in australia and honestly i am afraid for myself when I go there to perth in the coming weeks for studies. the fact that the man murdered some locals doesnt bode well for those going there or currently still there.

    i feel aussies aren't very friendly and sometimes hostile/violent towards asians. doesnt matter whether chinese, malay, etc. See first, whack. they dont really care whether u are from malaysia or indonesia, china or whatever.


    any current students in perth can comment?

    seriously, i am asking for everyone's advice here.

  3. #43
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    for ts since he's so concerned about aussie.
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...6-2862,00.html
    We tend to read more news like this now than when I arrived in Sydney 20 years ago.

    But then you could say the same thing about Malaysia.

    Better to be safe than sorry.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    This is my tragic story. I came to Singapore six years ago. Everything was fine until .........I ate BAH KWA ! Now I cannot live without my daily dose. I am stranded here and I am living now next to a Bee Cheng Hiang store.
    You holding a Bee Cheng Hiang Gold Card?

  5. #45

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    guess i started the thread in the wrong forums...


    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    TS is going overseas for long term, obviously his first to Perth. he has some concerns, raised them here and asked about the situation. i don't see the need for name callings and any other sarcasms against him.
    thanks,
    Last edited by Murcielago; 29th January 2008 at 01:49 PM.
    [QUOTE=dan_1337;2947523]if it was painted white, it would cost twice as much as Sigma =P[QUOTE]

  6. #46

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Murcielago View Post
    i just read the news report about a malaysian man stabbing ppl in australia and honestly i am afraid for myself when I go there to perth in the coming weeks for studies. the fact that the man murdered some locals doesnt bode well for those going there or currently still there.

    i feel aussies aren't very friendly and sometimes hostile/violent towards asians. doesnt matter whether chinese, malay, etc. See first, whack. they dont really care whether u are from malaysia or indonesia, china or whatever.


    any current students in perth can comment?

    seriously, i am asking for everyone's advice here.
    I was a student there a few years back . Aussies are generally warm and nice people , however there are black sheeps . There were once while I was jogging , I encounter 3 kids cycling , pointing an aggressive middle finger at me ! Till the moment they shouted : "You bloody asians ! " Then I realized they were resentful towards asian .

    Except for the above exceptional case, the aussies i met are real nice . There was once we lose our way, an Aussie driver directed us all the way by his car to our destination . Not to forget those drivers on the road who will gracefully wait for your turning without horning at you.

    Just keep an open mind, be mutually polite I am sure you will be well .

  7. #47

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Murcielago View Post
    guess i started the thread in the wrong forums...




    thanks,
    why? you asked for input and we gave it to you without any sugar coating the impression i got from reading your post is that you're having 2nd thoughts because of all the racist and violent rumors you've been hearing...
    Last edited by garou12; 29th January 2008 at 01:56 PM.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Murcielago View Post
    guess i started the thread in the wrong forums...




    thanks,
    your concerns are not invalid, though a little sensitive. as long as the discussion remains sensible, there's nothing wrong with posting it here. i'm sure there're always helpful souls willing to offer good advices in the forum.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    If you have such concerns, do not get out of SG!

    If you stay too long, when you come back, you may find yourself a stranger in your own country.

    Your country will change and so will you far away from it.

    When you come back, your criterias may have changed so much that you may not fit back with the reality of your starting point.

    People will find you pretentious because you have different stories to tell, boring because different point of views.....

    This may be dangerous. Dun do it.

    Stay home and always read the same news paper, always listen to the same radio, take the same way home everyday, stick to one friend only and do no try new things as it may change you with irreversible consequences.

    This is my tragic story. I came to Singapore six years ago. Everything was fine until .........I ate BAH KWA ! Now I cannot live without my daily dose. I am stranded here and I am living now next to a Bee Cheng Hiang store.

    hung:

    you always crack me up Loupisk.... very funny.


    Murcielago,

    Seriously... I fail to see how a news story about a Malaysian man stabbing another foreign worker would be a cause for concern regarding Asians in Australia in general. Most rational people will view it as an isolated incident. Only racists/bigots and the ignorant will generalise this to the wider Asian community. So, I seriously question your line of thought on this - let's say a foreign worker from country X comes to Singapore, then you read a newspaper article about this country X worker stabbing to death another person, are you going to think that all country X people are bad ? Why would you think that all Australians would think like that ?

    You need to look at why you are going overseas - are you going over to broaden your horizons ? To gain new experiences ? Whatever the reasons, I encourage people to go overseas whether it be for education/work etc (me, I've personally lived and worked in 4 different countries). Will it be better for you if go ? Will you enjoy it ? Will you not have any bad experiences ? I have no idea - a lot of it depends on your own personal situation, your attitude etc. But I can say that you shouldn't be overly concerned regarding racism in Australia.

  10. #50

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Relax mate..... as someone here said, you asked for advice so we are giving you advice. Basically what Im trying to tell u is that in the outside world, things are not as sheltered and as nice as they are here in Singapore. If you are a Chinese, middle class and above, the more likely you are going to find racism, discimination a shock to you simply because you belong to the upper echleons of Singaporean society. Overseas, you are either equal or 2nd class depending on who you talk to or where you go. However having said that, I hope that doesn't give you second thoughts and decide to be comfortable and stay here in Singapore. End of the day... you really will learn lesser and be less street wise and worldly as compared to those who dared to go aboard and see what is life there like.

  11. #51

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    you always crack me up Loupisk.... very funny.


    Murcielago,

    Seriously... I fail to see how a news story about a Malaysian man stabbing another foreign worker would be a cause for concern regarding Asians in Australia in general. Most rational people will view it as an isolated incident. Only racists/bigots and the ignorant will generalise this to the wider Asian community. So, I seriously question your line of thought on this - let's say a foreign worker from country X comes to Singapore, then you read a newspaper article about this country X worker stabbing to death another person, are you going to think that all country X people are bad ? Why would you think that all Australians would think like that ?

    You need to look at why you are going overseas - are you going over to broaden your horizons ? To gain new experiences ? Whatever the reasons, I encourage people to go overseas whether it be for education/work etc (me, I've personally lived and worked in 4 different countries). Will it be better for you if go ? Will you enjoy it ? Will you not have any bad experiences ? I have no idea - a lot of it depends on your own personal situation, your attitude etc. But I can say that you shouldn't be overly concerned regarding racism in Australia.
    very well said

  12. #52

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilterFunk View Post
    if you had read, its '98..
    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    what's the riots in jakarta got to do with that guy's anecdote about racism in aussie??? don't answer i'll answer for you: Nothing.
    how can you say nothing.

    Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    It has everything to do with it.

    What the original poster probably want to make a point is that all those people probably only suffer verbal abuse by some racist Australian, but the Indonesian ethnic Chinese suffer physical abuse (and even murder) during the riot in Jakarta 1998.
    you got my point.

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    no ts was asking about australia in general and their attitude not about racism in the world. what happened in Indo was a tragedy but it will never happen in Australia...so again i say you example has nothing to do with what he's asking.
    you might want to withdraw your sentence. Jakarta riot only happened ten years ago. anything is possible.

  13. #53

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Hey ! Eikin ! Yourself being a Sg Expat ! Share some of your experience leh !

    Bring some wind into Murcielago sail.

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    TS is going overseas for long term, obviously his first to Perth. he has some concerns, raised them here and asked about the situation. i don't see the need for name callings and any other sarcasms against him.
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    Hey ! Eikin ! Yourself being a Sg Expat ! Share some of your experience leh !

    Bring some wind into Murcielago sail.
    i've never been to australia, there's no advice i can offer

  15. #55

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by conquer500 View Post
    how can you say nothing.



    you got my point.



    you might want to withdraw your sentence. Jakarta riot only happened ten years ago. anything is possible.
    no i will not withdraw my statement. because i disagree with your point of view. The difference with Australia and Indonesia...heck even LA... its not a powder keg waiting to blow because if and i mean IF it was it would have happened during Pauline Hanson's era. Australia is not full of a majority that is poor that resents the minority for being more well off than it so its ludicrous for you to even compare Indo with Aussie given the different economic and social values and conditions. I am not making light of the riots of Jakarta and i have never been so if you think that i have i suggest you find a quote that shows i did. What happened in Indo will NEVER happen in Australia. If you cannot accept i disagree with you then that's too bad because i certainly am not going to change my mind on the basis of your say so. and your weak argument of saying that what happened in Indonesia can happen in Australia. Now if you had said that it could happen to our neighbour up north...then i might be inclined to agree with you.
    Last edited by garou12; 29th January 2008 at 05:37 PM.

  16. #56

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Murcielago.

    You should not worry too much. It is very likely that you will NOT feel like stabbing everybody suddenly, just because you pass the immigration gantry of your studies destination.

    And nobody will go after you just because some story happened in the middle of Australia.

    By going anywhere else than home, you will expose yourself for the better and the worse. Luckily you will get more of the better.

    Try to make the best of the opportunities that are offered to you and try to avoid any negative situation, environment or person.

    Got to run for the office.
    Last edited by Loupisk; 29th January 2008 at 06:48 PM.
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

  17. #57

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    We tend to read more news like this now than when I arrived in Sydney 20 years ago.

    But then you could say the same thing about Malaysia.

    Better to be safe than sorry.
    exactly. random freak event could happen anywhere anyplace anyone...not like there are specific ongoing events where a group of individuals are targeted repeatedly.

  18. #58

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    Murcielago.

    You should not worry too much. It is very likely that you will fell like stabbing everybody suddenly, just because you pass the immigration gantry of your studies destination.

    And nobody will go after you just because some story happened in the middle of Australia.

    By going anywhere than home, you will expose yourself for the better and the worse. Luckily you will get more better than anything else.

    Try to make the best of the opportunities that are offered to you and try to avoid any negative situation, environment or person.

    Got to run for the office.
    To TS just go and live your life. As long as your practice good karma you have nothing to fear. The benefits of you going far out weigh the benefits of you staying. Don't let some random freak event scare you into being afraid to venturing out. Otherwise what is the point of living?

  19. #59
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    no i will not withdraw my statement. because i disagree with your point of view. The difference with Australia and Indonesia...heck even LA... its not a powder keg waiting to blow because if and i mean IF it was it would have happened during Pauline Hanson's era. Australia is not full of a majority that is poor that resents the minority for being more well off than it so its ludicrous for you to even compare Indo with Aussie given the different economic and social values and conditions. I am not making light of the riots of Jakarta and i have never been so if you think that i have i suggest you find a quote that shows i did. What happened in Indo will NEVER happen in Australia. If you cannot accept i disagree with you then that's too bad because i certainly am not going to change my mind on the basis of your say so. and your weak argument of saying that what happened in Indonesia can happen in Australia. Now if you had said that it could happen to our neighbour up north...then i might be inclined to agree with you.
    i think the reference to riots should stop here.

    garou12: you do not know for sure that it will not happen in Australia, no one can guarantee that.

    i will not repeat this again

  20. #60

    Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

    isnt australia part of asia ???
    that makes aussies asians too...so dun understand why some of them are against
    fellow asians..juz becos different skin color ? oh my..that show how shallow some
    of them can be..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •