Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: asians in australia: cause for concern?

Default Re: asians in australia: cause for concern?

I'm Australian and love it here.

I look Asian though.

Although on Saturday did get one car of people shouting f words, but it's just something you ignore.
    The rest of the people were very friendly, even a guy coming to shake our hands saying "welcome to Australia" until his friends told him off "you idiot, they've probably been in Australia longer than you!"

Perth is a beautiful place.
    Just keep out of trouble.
    It is the camera, not the photographer.
    my flickr - adamloh.com

when you're new - don't go to secluded spots
    don't walk out at night alone
    that's about it, not very hard at all

london's racist too, actually, but at the more populated areas nothing much happens other than some "friendly name calling" that, should you ignore, will go away after a while in fact my group who went to italy, the girls also kena some bunch of italian teenagers.. so every place has it. even singapore has its own brand of racism for the minorities, like it or not.. it's just that if you are chinese (and therefore in the majority) you possibly may not feel it. but not every singaporean chinese is going to be a jack ass, no?

Quote Originally Posted by terryansimon View Post
    I've had racist encounters in Australia. people telling me to go home, people telling me that I stink as a yellow skinned person.
    For the record, as you also run a good chance of being verbally assaulted in Singapore if you look "non-Asian", or if you look "Asian, but not the same ethnicity as me". The racist remarks I've heard casually made from mother to child here in Singapore about other ethnicities ("races") are beyond anything I've experienced elsewhere (outside of neo-fascist/radical mobs)

kevin rudd can speak mandarin (even his children speaks mandarin) and his son-in-law is asian.
    Confidence is thinking you'll be Champions, arrogance is stating it.

I guess it depends how unlucky you are. Some Asians cop the abuses more than others.

There is an Anti-discrimination Board here which you may want to know something about for the newly arrived:

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlin...pages/adb_race

erm, this applies to the whole of Aust or NSW only? TS is going to WA..

well said..
    only had one or two of that experience when i was in melbourne.
    usually came from bunch of drunken guys who drove in cheap cars.
    generally, i had a very good experience with the people there.
    nowadays, asians are so common in melbourne CBD...sometimes i felt that 40% of people walking on the streets are asians...

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Yes there are aussies that are racists but they are not the majority. There are heaps of Aussies who are really nice people and are very open to Asians.

Let me share with you my experiences when I was a student in Melbourne in 1998.

On my first night in Melbourne, a car pulled up along side me and 3 white aussies spew vulgarities at me and in short ask me "chink come s*** his d*** and to f*** back to where youI come from" and this was my 2nd hour in Australia having just landed and taking a walk after checking into the hotel.

When registering for courses in school, I had an admin staff who refused to help me and basically told me off in my face. "Im not helping you!" but was all smiles to fellow white aussies.

My housemate came home in tears, cause a guy pushed his way in front of her while she was queing for Subway and told her "F*** u Chink....."

When looking for a house, some landlords when they knew the people asking were non white aussies, they immediately informed the agent to reject us.

However having said all of the above. I have also encountered the following.

My head of department, a veteran professor apologizing to us in public for the racist acts against us.

Aussies that you dont know at all, going out of their way to help you out when u are lost.

Aussie friends who endured getting racist taunts from other aussies for being "losers" as they are hanging out with "chinks" and still remain your good friends.

Aussies that I become so close to that we are like brothers and will do anything for each other.

What Im trying to say is that there is racism of course. There is in every country even here... look at the way we treat foreign workers as untouchables that we have residents forming watchgroups to make sure foreign workers don't sit under their void decks. However that that doesn't make us all racists does it? Same for Australia, yes you have your racism here and there and someone like Pauline Hanson. However same time you will find lots of nice people who are genuine and friendly. And yes of course... most of them always wonder "do you know gong fu??"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    For the record, as you also run a good chance of being verbally assaulted in Singapore if you look "non-Asian", or if you look "Asian, but not the same ethnicity as me". The racist remarks I've heard casually made from mother to child here in Singapore about other ethnicities ("races") are beyond anything I've experienced elsewhere (outside of neo-fascist/radical mobs)
    agreed. I'm not making excuses but many of such comments are due to sheer ignorance and xenophobia. but it still doesn't exonerate them from such actions.

How true. Personally, I have found rasim rampant in Singpaore if I concentrate on the ignorant and/or extreme end of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by Murcielago View Post
    i just read the news report about a malaysian man stabbing ppl in australia and honestly i am afraid for myself when I go there to perth in the coming weeks for studies. the fact that the man murdered some locals doesnt bode well for those going there or currently still there.

i feel aussies aren't very friendly and sometimes hostile/violent towards asians. doesnt matter whether chinese, malay, etc. See first, whack. they dont really care whether u are from malaysia or indonesia, china or whatever.

any current students in perth can comment?

seriously, i am asking for everyone's advice here.
    News report only report on the bad and the extreme. How often have you ever heard the news reporting people being friendly, helpful to one an other? Duh.

However to avoid trouble, don't go anywhere, stay at home, you might be safe there.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    what's the riots in jakarta got to do with that guy's anecdote about racism in aussie??? don't answer i'll answer for you: Nothing.
    It has everything to do with it.

What the original poster probably want to make a point is that all those people probably only suffer verbal abuse by some racist Australian, but the Indonesian ethnic Chinese suffer physical abuse (and even murder) during the riot in Jakarta 1998.

You mean like this:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/...300859647.html

http://cracker.com.au/viewthread.asp...tegoryid=11161

Quote Originally Posted by aryanto View Post
    It has everything to do with it.

What the original poster probably want to make a point is that all those people probably only suffer verbal abuse by some racist Australian, but the Indonesian ethnic Chinese suffer physical abuse (and even murder) during the riot in Jakarta 1998.
    no ts was asking about australia in general and their attitude not about racism in the world. what happened in Indo was a tragedy but it will never happen in Australia...so again i say you example has nothing to do with what he's asking.
    Last edited by garou12; 29th January 2008 at 09:48 AM.

Racism, xenophobia.....

I guess in this era of globalisation, xenophobia ought to be outlawed together with racism.

Should we say racism, or lack of moral education and pure Jealousy? There are always people who are more friendly than the others, even among asians. For instance, I recently went to Hong Kong and South Korea for tour. I used to think that the Koreans are very friendly people, and the Hong Kongers are more aggressive. But somehow, after the trips, I've realised the Hong Kongers are so much friendlier than the Koreans. Imagine buying things in Seoul.. from the moment you placed the item on the counter, to asking of price and packing, not a single eye contact from the sales person. On the other hand, the Hong Kongers are very friendly, be it in the shops, food centre or asking of road directions. Having said these, I've also met some really nice and friendly Koreans and unfriendly Hong Kongers.

Being an Australian resident myself, and an Asian, I believe majority of Australian are nice and friendly people. You may experience some unpleasant encounters here and there, but that should be rare. I'm in Melbourne most of the time, so not very familiar of the condition in Perth.. but should be somewhat similar.

Enjoy your stay in Australia

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Racism, xenophobia.....

I guess in this era of globalisation, xenophobia ought to be outlawed together with racism.
    Oooo that would be such a utopia.

for ts since he's so concerned about aussie.
    http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...6-2862,00.html

If you have such concerns, do not get out of SG!

If you stay too long, when you come back, you may find yourself a stranger in your own country.

Your country will change and so will you far away from it.

When you come back, your criterias may have changed so much that you may not fit back with the reality of your starting point.

People will find you pretentious because you have different stories to tell, boring because different point of views.....

This may be dangerous. Dun do it.

Stay home and always read the same news paper, always listen to the same radio, take the same way home everyday, stick to one friend only and do no try new things as it may change you with irreversible consequences.

This is my tragic story. I came to Singapore six years ago. Everything was fine until .........I ate BAH KWA ! Now I cannot live without my daily dose. I am stranded here and I am living now next to a Bee Cheng Hiang store.

hung:
    Last edited by Loupisk; 29th January 2008 at 11:58 AM.
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

Blog Entries

this thread is a potential hotbed for bad behaviour

do remember the guidelines for posting

especially No. 1 and No. 3

Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    If you have such concerns, do not get out of SG!

If you stay too long, when you come back, you may find yourself a stranger in your own country.

Your country will change and so will you far away from it.

When you come back, your criterias may have changed so much that you may not fit back with the reality of your starting point.

People will find you pretentious because you have different stories to tell, boring because different point of views.....

This may be dangerous. Dun do it.

Stay home and always read the same news paper, always listen to the same radio, take the same way home everyday, stick to one friend only and do no try new things as it may change you with irreversible consequences.

This is my story. I came to Singapore six years ago. Everything was fine until .........I ate BAH KWA ! Now I cannot live without my daily dose. I am stranded here and I am living now next to a Bee Cheng Hiang store.

hung:

Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post

This is my story. I came to Singapore six years ago. Everything was fine until .........I ate BAH KWA ! Now I cannot live without my daily dose. I am stranded here and I am living now next to a Bee Cheng Hiang store.
    no one can resist the seduction of the other white meat!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast