Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here!Got my first dslr!

Default Newbie here!Got my first dslr!

Hi to all! I'm a newbie here at Clubsnap and hope to learn a lot from you guys.My sister have a nikon f50 and that's where I became curious about slr cameras.When compact digital cam was introduced, I got one ( won't mention the brand ) but had a terrible experience with it after a couple of months. 6 out of 10 uses, the image is blurred and very poor in lowlight.I wasn't able to have it repaired/returned since it's a local middle east warranty and I moved out from UAE.I promised not to buy a compact again and just save a bit more for a dslr.I got a 2nd hand 2 yrs. old but in immaculate condition e300 with warranty.low shutter count as well.I'm still figuring it out how to maximize the functions.Planning to upgrade maybe if the "virus" will struck me strong.

What are the additional must have accessories for my e300?Flash, lens ( though a bit pricy ) ?

Thanks and hope to hear more from you guys!

man415

Default Re: Newbie here!Got my first dslr!

Hi man415,

Welcome to CS and congratulations in getting a very nice DSLR. Shoot more & post more.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Talking Re: Newbie here!Got my first dslr!

Thanks Galdor! I'll be trying it out tomorrow and hopefully it won't rain.

Hello. Just go shoot more and enjoy photography. Eventually you will know what you need.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Thanks kelccm!I will.I'm just wondering which type of lens is suitable for newbie like me.I'm into landscape and considering B&W portrait shots.

Quote Originally Posted by man415 View Post
    Thanks kelccm!I will.I'm just wondering which type of lens is suitable for newbie like me.I'm into landscape and considering B&W portrait shots.
    I would suggest that you shoot with the kit lens for the time being & move on from there. For landscape wise, I think the widest for the E-system is the 11-22mm.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Welcome...

read more
    shoot more
    post more...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Congrats on your purchase! The E-300 is old, but still lovely to use.

Lenses? The kit lens should be more than enough to start you off. Hopefully, you have the 40-150mm kit lens as well, for telephoto reach.

For landscape, the ZD 11-22mm is a wonderful lens, if you have the budget. Or else, your 14-45mm kit lens will do just fine.

For portraits, the ZD 50mm f/2 Macro is a nice lens, with wonderful bokeh. Yes, macro lens. It's slow, but it's a superb portrait lens. Look around in the Four Thirds forum for pictures.

Enjoy your camera, and start shooting!

welcome
    enjoy yourself when taking photos
    24 F1.4L mk2 | 24-105 F4L | 70-200 F2.8L mk1 | 30 F1.4
    5D2 | 40D

Hi Zac08,dorts and hengpy!
    Thanks for the reply.I'm at work but my mind is already focused for tomorrows first shoot of my cam.Ya I think I might as well make use of my kit at the 14-45mm lens at the moment.I'll buy some of the lens suggested when I know how to fully utilize the e300.

Thanks again!

Simply the Best!

Hi Zac08,dorts and hengpy!
    Thanks for the reply.I'm at work but my mind is already focused for tomorrows first shoot of my cam.Ya I think I might as well make use of my kit at the 14-45mm lens at the moment.I'll buy some of the lens suggested when I know how to fully utilize the e300.

Thanks again!

Simply the Best!

I recommend you to get a 40-150mm kit lens as well. That will cover for almost everything. 14mm to 150mm.

The 40-150mm can be used for portraits as well, and it's not too bad.

Thanks! You are an Oly user as well?Any idea how much this lens cost?

Thanks! You are an Oly user as well?Any idea how much this lens cost?
    Yes, an Oly user. There are 2 versions of this lens.

One is the ZD 40-150mm f/3.5 -4.5, the newer one is a ZD 40-150mm f/3.5-5.6.

Take note of the aperture difference. I've seen one at the B&S section. A new lens would probably cost about $400? Not confirmed. I've seen 2nd hand ones going at $250+

Here is a comparison of the 2 versions of this lens.

http://www.biofos.com/esystem/4015_tst.html

Thanks! I try to take a look at it.By the way any idea on the shutter count average life for e-300? mine is 2 years 4 months old with 7100 on the shutter count.which setting should I choose for basic and automatic setting? day and night shooting?of course only in the meantime I want to learn the manual setting adjustment as well as time goes.

Sorry for asking too much.

Thanks! I try to take a look at it.By the way any idea on the shutter count average life for e-300? mine is 2 years 4 months old with 7100 on the shutter count.which setting should I choose for basic and automatic setting? day and night shooting?of course only in the meantime I want to learn the manual setting adjustment as well as time goes.

Sorry for asking too much.
    Shutter life should be around 50k. It can be more, it can be less.

What do you mean by basic and automatic settings? I would recommend you to use the Aperture priority mode for now. Experiment with your aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. There is no one correct setting for any situation. Depends on what you want to archive.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Thanks for the reply dorts! I mean you can set the settings on top right.But I guess your'e right no specific settings.I'll still got a lot more to learn.

That's all for now and thanks for the infos.until next time.

Simply the Best!

Hi!

My long awaited day for my first shoot with my cam was OK yesterday until it rained so hard while I was in orchard.It stopped for a while but already late in the afternoon.Did a couple of shots along cityhall.I'll try to post the most decent looking shot I did.

By the way is it advisable to use the lens hood on outdoor landscape shots?During night shots, Am I suppose to use the flash or just on the night scene/setup?

I am planning to buy a new CF card.What are the difference with the highspeed and just the regular speed CF card?Any diff. in quality of shots?

Thanks!

man415

Hi!

My long awaited day for my first shoot with my cam was OK yesterday until it rained so hard while I was in orchard.It stopped for a while but already late in the afternoon.Did a couple of shots along cityhall.I'll try to post the most decent looking shot I did.

By the way is it advisable to use the lens hood on outdoor landscape shots?During night shots, Am I suppose to use the flash or just on the night scene/setup?

I am planning to buy a new CF card.What are the difference with the highspeed and just the regular speed CF card?Any diff. in quality of shots?

Thanks!

man415
    Lens hood is up to you. But I always put it on

For flash, it depends on what you are trying to archive. But usually, it would be without flash, long shutter speed.

If you won't be shooting like a machine gun, a normal one will do. It is only how fast the images are being written onto the card. So if it doesn't concern you, don't bother.

Thanks dorts!

Because yesterday while taking shot at one of the churches in cityhall area, I noticed a small balck shadow like at the edge left topmost area of the image.I removed the lens hood and it's gone.

Thanks for the advice on the CF card.Good thing I inquire first because for the price of 1 g HS CF you can buy a 2 g of regular speed CF.That's true I'm not yet into highspeed shooting that's why I might as well settle for a regular CF card first then buy a highspeed later on.

One more thing is about the storage.I want a storage for my dvd cam as well( which I rarely use ) The dry box at carrefour is a bit small for the 2 equipment.The electronic dry cabinet is a bit high for me. Would an airtight container will do?I have a lot of silica gel in packets (my wife is working in an apparel shop)Will placing it in the air tight with silica gel packets do?
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast