Thread: Flower

Default Flower

Dear brothers and sisters,

This shot is taken when I was touring in Taiwan recently.

Was trying out shallow DOF way of taking.

May I know whether this is consider a good shot?

Is the lighting good enough?

Thank you.

Default Re: Flower

I found the flower not sharp (either that or I need glasses ) and that the background is too distracting.

tighter cropping may be good but since the picture is not sharp, it may not really help

just my $0.02

I agree.

But how do i make it sharper?
    Set it to marco mode?

Is it because I downsize the photo to upload here?

could be many reasons why it's not sharp.. maybe there's some handshake (use a tripod?!).. or the flower was moving about when the wind blow? after downsizing should do one round of sharpen before posting too.. =)

personally i find the constrast between the flower and the background not too sufficient.. the flower seems to be "fading" into the background.. rather than stand out of it.. in fact the background is quite distracting in itself (the pond and stuff).. ha.. maybe use a black board behind to isolate the flower?

Quote Originally Posted by guohuige View Post
    I agree.

Set it to marco mode?

yup not sharp. Could be a variety of reasons. Maybe you can share your setup and setting for the shot.

Composition-wise, too dead center, background is very distracting, especially the white "line" that seem to cut thru the flower.

I also think it is a bit underexposed.

Quote Originally Posted by ssping83 View Post
    could be many reasons why it's not sharp.. maybe there's some handshake (use a tripod?!).. or the flower was moving about when the wind blow? after downsizing should do one round of sharpen before posting too.. =)

personally i find the constrast between the flower and the background not too sufficient.. the flower seems to be "fading" into the background.. rather than stand out of it.. in fact the background is quite distracting in itself (the pond and stuff).. ha.. maybe use a black board behind to isolate the flower?

TS on a tour to Taiwan lah, u ask him use black board???

Agree with rest, flower is not sharp. The leaves below the flower, are they in the background or are they part of the flower?

lighting is flat (not in term of exposure)
    picture is not sharp
    composition is boring
    background is messy
    flower has no stem, like floating in the air
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thank you.

Will improve on it.

Thank you.

Will improve on it.

I learn to improve my "flower shooting technique" from flickr http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=flower&m=text

you can view my flickr site (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jarrodstone/) and see a (bad) shot of a flower that I took when I first took up photography (sometime about 4 months ago) somewhere on page 10 and an improved version after countless tries.. (in the first page)

I agree.

Set it to marco mode?

I'm also newbie, just share with you what I've learnt recently.

Sharpness Feel
    Shallow DOF picture is not easy to take, because it will easily give you a blue picture feeling. Whether a picture is sharp, depends on whether the important object/portion of the picture gives you a sharp feeling. Feeling of sharpness is often comes from the clear light contrast, eg reflection of lights on eye ball. In this case, you might have made certain part of flower in focus, the the portion do not have much light contrast.

Detailness
    Can't see much detail on the flower due to lighting. One way is to increase the exposure value, which may improve slightly.

Lighting
    A better way to make the picture sharper is to have additional lighting, flash, reflector etc. Having flash can also dim away the messy background.

Composition
    As mentioned by catchlights, the flower seems floating in the air. A good photo usually have the focus object taken care, as well as the out of focus area (bokeh).

Set the camera to macro mode only allow shorter minimum focusing distance and nothing else. Downsizing the photo should maintain the "sharpness". It's all because of the lighting & composition.
    Sony Alpha