Thread: Chinese New Year preparation

Default Chinese New Year preparation

Chinese New Year is just around the corner and there will be many photo shooting opportunities. This is my first shot of many to come for this festival (I hope).

Shot taken on board of the Starcruise ship Virgo. I was trying to capture the moment by focusing on the lantern and having the blur image of the crew fixing a decoration in the background.

Two questions

1. Can I associate the lantern with Chinese New Year?
    2. How can I improve the composition further ?

Cheers

Default Re: Chinese New Year preparation

Quote Originally Posted by bblurrr View Post
    Chinese New Year is just around the corner and there will be many photo shooting opportunities. This is my first shot of many to come for this festival (I hope).

Shot taken on board of the Starcruise ship Virgo. I was trying to capture the moment by focusing on the lantern and having the blur image of the crew fixing a decoration in the background.

Two questions

2. How can I improve the composition further ?

Cheers

Well, this type of lantern can be found in temples, chinese resturants, chinese offerings stores, chinese weddings etc and is not really a CNY thingy unless there's CNY wordings or decorations on the lantern itself.
    If I were you, I would focus on the guy fixing up the CNY deco instead with the blur image of the lantern at the background. I think this will make more sense.
    Last edited by m3lv1nh0; 28th January 2008 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake.

Perhaps a shot taken right below the guy when he's putting something up and with the focus on the object he's putting up would be an interesting shot. You would get a "leading line" towards the object using the man's body.

Provided that he does not wear a skirt though!

Quote Originally Posted by fi5hbone View Post

Provided that he does not wear a skirt though!
    lol... will look for the opportunity.. not a man in skirt though

Thanks for the comments

Quote Originally Posted by bblurrr View Post
    I find this interesting. If you can't feel the connection it's going to be hard to convince yourself or anyone else of your photographs. Shoot something that convinces you, asking other people to decide for you is not the way.

I'm sure with enough observation you'll find another subject worthy of your attentions. Follow that with passion and you'll get a picture to be proud of. Don't shoot blindly. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by foxtwo View Post
    I find this interesting. If you can't feel the connection it's going to be hard to convince yourself or anyone else of your photographs. Shoot something that convinces you, asking other people to decide for you is not the way.

I'm sure with enough observation you'll find another subject worthy of your attentions. Follow that with passion and you'll get a picture to be proud of. Don't shoot blindly. Have fun!
    Thanks for the comments... being a non-Chinese, I associate red with Chinese, the connection here is red & lantern = Chinese but can I associate it with Chinese New Year? that I can't ascertain because I could be wrong... and was I wrong, as correctly pointed out by m3lv1nh0

anyway the photo was my perspective of the situation at that moment, now I have two additional perspectives to consider the next time I encounter similar situation thanks to fi5hbone and m3lv1nh0

Cool Re: Chinese New Year preparation

Well..agreed that lantern is too common and is hard to associate with the mood of the Chinese New Year. I would suggest you take a trip down to Chinatown to capture some of the shots of the various stores selling new years goodies, the people shopping, and the deco.
    Good photography is not so much about what you use as the way that you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Well..agreed that lantern is too common and is hard to associate with the mood of the Chinese New Year. I would suggest you take a trip down to Chinatown to capture some of the shots of the various stores selling new years goodies, the people shopping, and the deco.

ya lah must go and soak in the atmosphere