Thread: Problems with Colour Managment in LR/PS CS3

Default Problems with Colour Managment in LR/PS CS3

Hi all,

I've got a problem with colour management in LR and CS3 (this happened recently):

I imported some RAW files from my D200 into LR when I realised that the colours in LR were washed out. Opening with CS3 gave me the same result.

Thinking that it could be some conversion issue with Adobe ACR, I proceeded to download Capture NX trial - but I got the same problem. Screenshots below:

1) Initial image before NX "renders" the image - so far so good:

2) Final image after "rendering" - the colours are absolutely washed out. I get the same image quality when opening with ACR as well.

3) The same issue happens with jpgs too..

Anyone knows what's going on? I tried to modify the color settings, but to no avail. Set image quality to Normal, sRGB I. I seem to have hit this problem only recently..

OK - I realised that it's my monitor profile that's causing the colour discrepancies. Will try to read up on this again..
    Last edited by SNAG; 27th January 2008 at 10:57 PM.

Default Re: Problems with Colour Managment in LR/PS CS3

EDIT: I realised the RAW files that I shot earlier had no issues - only my recent shots are affected.

Most importantly, how can I resolve this issue with my existing shots?

try setting your image to RGB1998....sRGB got smaller color gamut.

Quote Originally Posted by lightbrush View Post
    try setting your image to RGB1998....sRGB got smaller color gamut.
    I believe you mean Adobe RGB (1998)...

by the way, I think the TS mentioned that the problem probably lies with the monitor profile... sRGB shouldn't cause such drastic desaturation...

Based on your photos, I presume your source files (orig from cam) were captured in Adobe RGB color space... Since LR/CS/etc can work on several color spaces, your colors will look fine.

But when you export or save as a jpeg, you need to convert it to sRGB, otherwise, your colors will come out like it did.

In Lightroom, the Export window will have a color space option at the bottom, choose sRGB (near the JPEG quality etc).
    In PhotoShop, you have to go to EDIT >> CONVERT TO PROFILE and choose sRGB from the Destination drop down list.

Hope that helps

I'm not certain why you singled out the monitor coz if it's the monitor, it shouldn't matter whether you're in aRGB or sRGB coz both will be 'wrong'.

Quote Originally Posted by theveed View Post
    Based on your photos, I presume your source files (orig from cam) were captured in Adobe RGB color space... Since LR/CS/etc can work on several color spaces, your colors will look fine.

But when you export or save as a jpeg, you need to convert it to sRGB, otherwise, your colors will come out like it did.

In Lightroom, the Export window will have a color space option at the bottom, choose sRGB (near the JPEG quality etc).
    In PhotoShop, you have to go to EDIT >> CONVERT TO PROFILE and choose sRGB from the Destination drop down list.

Hope that helps

I'm not certain why you singled out the monitor coz if it's the monitor, it shouldn't matter whether you're in aRGB or sRGB coz both will be 'wrong'.
    Not sure what you were trying to explain, but if I get what you meant, you were saying that you need to export jpgs in sRGB for colours to look proper.

Actually, that's a misconception - if you are viewing aRGB/whatever profile images in a colour managed application, it should be OK. It's only that if you are viewing non sRGB images in say, Internet Explorer that will screw up.

I boiled this down to my monitor profile because my original profile seemed to be corrupt - hence rendering the weird colour casts. I have since resolved it by removing the profile.