Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: SYPA entry for critique

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default SYPA entry for critique

    Just seeking advise if there's anything to do better on this picture

    I've done some vignetting, desaturation and nothing much. This was shot at close to eye level while I chose to include some of his products as laid on table. Delibrately underexposed to meter for the ambient lighting that I felt created tension in his focus on his work.

    Though a pretty simple shot (actually waited quite long before he got into this pose under the lamp), i'm seeking on how to better improve on composition, lighting improvements, or cropping/zooming out factors etc.

    Thanks in advance!

    Here are the settings for reference

    Camera: Nikon D300
    Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/400)
    Aperture: f/1.4
    Focal Length: 30 mm
    ISO Speed: 500
    Exposure Bias: -1/3 EV

    Last edited by sprintist; 27th January 2008 at 01:26 PM.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    i think the lighting is perfect, just the way i like to see a intimate portrait of someone hard at work. However, perhaps i might have shifted my angle to the left a little, giving more of his body and without that lamp which looks blown out (obviously), so that you just assume his face is lit by some sort of lamp but you dont see it. Otherwise, good job. Why'd you reduce the exposure bias for anyway?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    Quote Originally Posted by supermengwei2 View Post
    i think the lighting is perfect, just the way i like to see a intimate portrait of someone hard at work. However, perhaps i might have shifted my angle to the left a little, giving more of his body and without that lamp which looks blown out (obviously), so that you just assume his face is lit by some sort of lamp but you dont see it. Otherwise, good job. Why'd you reduce the exposure bias for anyway?
    oh ok, i didnt thought neglecting the lamp because I felt it was an essential part of his work and so showcase it while he's at his concentration.

    Because I was shooting at matrix metering, i didnt go spot metering, instead i go for the under exposure option so that the picture will appear litted by the lamp and not a ''perfect exposure'' kind.

    anyway he'll be there till february at westmall so i might have the chance to shoot him again if possible!

  4. #4

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    u can drop the lamp - not nec; obvious there is a strong light; and where is this?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    Quote Originally Posted by espion View Post
    u can drop the lamp - not nec; obvious there is a strong light; and where is this?
    ahh okie

    it was at westmall, i missed some performance going on there but its 1pm and 7pm there daily

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
    Posts
    3,157

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    I think you could go closer and remove the blur stuff in the foreground.I feel a need to know what he is doing, and I think that has not been shown in the photo.If you could go closer and show that, I think the photo would be stronger.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever View Post
    I think you could go closer and remove the blur stuff in the foreground.I feel a need to know what he is doing, and I think that has not been shown in the photo.If you could go closer and show that, I think the photo would be stronger.
    ok!~ noted! he's actually making those chinese signature stamps btw as shown in the foreground though oof. thanks for pointing out!

  8. #8

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    Nice picture.

    The lamp looks okay to me actually.
    The lighting and exposure is perfect even though there is a bright light and it bring out the "feel" of concentration
    I like the framing too. (i believe you have put much thought into it. with the chinese stamps and ink OOF, but i'm still able to tell what is that)

  9. #9

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    hi, here's my two cents:

    the inclusion of the lamp distracts, the lighting effecy on the subject works but it would be better out of picture.

    you are using a very shallow dof, which is ok, the aim is to provide a sense of setting without clutter. for me however this is avhieved (the setting) in the focused area, meaning the oof foreground is unnecessary. a tighter crop eliminating the lamp and showing more of the subject and detail he is working on would have had more impact for me.

    just an opinion
    In every photograph there are at least two people, the viewer and the photographer. (Ansel Adams)

  10. #10

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    oooh i'm going to copy this shot and send in too...LOL

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    oooh i'm going to copy this shot and send in too...LOL
    Discussion in Critique Corner are meant for people to share and learn, not for people to plagiarise ideas for competition.

  12. #12

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    Discussion in Critique Corner are meant for people to share and learn, not for people to plagiarise ideas for competition.
    only a fool will openly say he wants to copy unless its meant to be a joke...a joke with a friend...its the festive season...so loosen up

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    only a fool will openly say he wants to copy unless its meant to be a joke...a joke with a friend...its the festive season...so loosen up
    you know the posting rules in critique corner. anymore off topic postings will not be entertained.

  14. #14

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    A well thought out environmental portrait. I like how the man face and hands are lit and in contrast, the side and back of his head is thrown into darkness, clearly drawing viewers into focusing on what heís doing.
    The lamp donít bother me. On the contrary, I think itís an added bonus as it showed the condition the man is working under.
    However, I would like to see a bit more DOF to bring more of the foreground into focus and
    that white patch at the top right hand is a bit of distraction.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    oooh i'm going to copy this shot and send in too...LOL
    haha now i understand why u said that sentence to me in msn..lol sry abit slow. anyway eikin he was joking for sure


    Well, now that many has mentioned, i suppose if shooting another shot like this i know better what to do. Thanks for the help all, on serious thoughts, might not be submitting this afterall anyway lol.

    so lumiere, u want it? *kidding

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    East area
    Posts
    825

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    Nice shot ... it will be great for you to ask for suggestion without showing up the photos itself (using multiply or any others ways without posting up the photo) because this is for the contest ...

    People will try to copy the way u capture or some even copy which happen to many ushers
    around the world.

    That my point of view

    All the best
    Last edited by Love_sky; 13th February 2008 at 07:18 PM.
    Canon User Since SLR 888
    Owner of 5D mark III

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: SYPA entry for critique

    Quote Originally Posted by Love_sky View Post
    Nice shot ... it will be great for you to ask for suggestion without showing up the photos itself (using multiply or any others ways without posting up the photo) because this is for the contest ...

    People will try to copy the way u capture or some even copy which happen to many ushers
    around the world.

    That my point of view

    All the best
    ahh, of course, that makes sense too but this is only a probable picture and its not competent enough i feel. Its ok if people try to copy, i mean that is inevitable, like how japan is famous for reverse engineering..taking ideas and improvising. haha thats how life can be sometimes but I understand your point thanks!

    I've yet to capture any ''punching'' pics yet though haha

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •