Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cameras that takes idiotproof shots.

Default Re: Cameras that takes idiotproof shots.

My suggestions:

1. Get a Point and Shoot or, what some would call, a Small Sensor Camera. This would give you plenty of DOF even at large apertures.

2. If you have to shoot in P mode, P-shift the shutter speed to 250th.

3. Depending on the camera you get, bump the ISO to 200.

The suggestions above wont solve all your problems but at least you can get a good headstart with them.

TS, u gotta know the difference in the types of blur as well. some of them are motion blur, handshake blur, and out of focus (OOF) blur.

to reduce motion blur and handshake blur, try shooting at high shutter speeds. depending on the amount of zoom, and speed of moving subject, u gotta readjust the shutter speed. since u r using a PnS, u can set it to a large aperture (small f-number) to further increase the shutter speed. if u need even faster shutter pseeds, up the ISO.

to reduce the OOF of shallow depth of field (DOF) --> ie. the sharp subject in foreground and blur background, then try to set to a small aperture (large f-number).

u gotta understand the how exposure is affected by aperture, shutter speed, ISO.
    IS is a feature to reduce small vibrations, and it helps u keep ur image steady while holding the camera. (if u keep shaking the camera up and down rapidly, and expect a sharp image, IS cant help u. u can only help urself by setting to a high shutter speed)
    EOS 6D | GH4 | LX100 | HERO4

i think i try to explain to TS why his vid cam can achieve such "idiotproof shots"

cause the pic taken is EXTRACTED from the video footage which is shot @ maybe 25-30 FRAMES PER SECOND (i.e FPS)

So in one second there are 30 "pictures", therefore motion is captured within the limits of the frames and they appear still (think of a flip-book animation) whereas a typical camera will have anything from 3-5 FPS in burst mode or maybe more

So, essentially a video camera doesnt have a shutter. The "door" is always open.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    I find it hard to believe that under the same condition a videocam can achieve better still pictures than the S5. These two devices work on similar optical and electrical principles, but are optimised for different jobs - still vs. moving pictures.
    That's why in an earlier posting I mentioned reducing the resolution all the way down. video res is 720x576 for DV-PAL. So TS will never get to blow up the images to see the optical blur.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    That's why in an earlier posting I mentioned reducing the resolution all the way down. video res is 720x576 for DV-PAL. So TS will never get to blow up the images to see the optical blur.
    but i tink most video cams can take still images with higher res than 720 x 576. like at least 3MP or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Raied View Post
    i think i try to explain to TS why his vid cam can achieve such "idiotproof shots"

cause the pic taken is EXTRACTED from the video footage which is shot @ maybe 25-30 FRAMES PER SECOND (i.e FPS)

So in one second there are 30 "pictures", therefore motion is captured within the limits of the frames and they appear still (think of a flip-book animation) whereas a typical camera will have anything from 3-5 FPS in burst mode or maybe more

So, essentially a video camera doesnt have a shutter. The "door" is always open.
    Erm, I will first admit that I don't know too much about the workings of a videocam, but I don't think this arguement is correct.

If I'm not wrong, I remember reading that videocams do have shutters (I'm guessing electronic one). So even though the videos are recorded at 25fps, in a bright and sunny situation each frame may be recorded over just 1/1000s, with 1/25s interval between each frame. Similarly cameras may do 3-5fps in burst mode, but each picture is still taken at 1/1000 shutter speed.

Anyway, 1/25 or 1/30 shutter speed is not enough to completely prevent motion blur in general

actually, if he just wants to capture the moment, why the E3 ? It is not exactly a camera that you carry around all the time when you leave the house. Given the bulk and weight, it is something that you carry around when you have an objective, like a photo shoot, that is planned in advance.
    Point and shoot is the best for capture the moment kind of scenarios.

I have an E1 and I use it less often than my Casio Exilim, because of the bulk and weight. As for my wife, she says that camera (E1) is not for females, complains about neck pains or shoulder pain when carrying it for too long. Sigh..... few hundred dollars camera get used more often than few thousand dollars camera. Can be classified as white elephant liao....

To the single guys in this forum, when you choose your wife, get her to carry your DSLR for a day. If she can do it, then she's the one.
    Last edited by cimman; 1st February 2008 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cimman View Post
    To the single guys in this forum, when you choose your wife, get her to carry your DSLR for a day. If she can do it, then she's the one.
    nice 1

Quote Originally Posted by Fragnatic View Post
    but i tink most video cams can take still images with higher res than 720 x 576. like at least 3MP or more.
    Yeah.. but I don't think TS is talking about the quality of the still image from the video camera, or am I mistaken?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12