Thread: 2 modems vs 1 modem + router

Default 2 modems vs 1 modem + router

I'm running 2pc using 1 modem + router, the pc with wireless capabilities does D/C once in a while (a few times a night, PC is in another room, with a wall in between, barely 1-2meters away in terms of displacement)

Would 2 modems be better? (Would it be allowed in the first place, any clash of IPs etc???)

Thanks!

Default Re: 2 modems vs 1 modem + router

Quote Originally Posted by di0nysus View Post
    I'm running 2pc using 1 modem + router, the pc with wireless capabilities does D/C once in a while (a few times a night, PC is in another room, with a wall in between, barely 1-2meters away in terms of displacement)

Would 2 modems be better? (Would it be allowed in the first place, any clash of IPs etc???)

Thanks!
    It won't be allowed (i think), if you are using starhub. For singtel, you can apply for another line and get 2 internet accounts.

The best is to use wires instead of wireless. I don't like the hugely popular linksys G routers that many of my friends are using. Signal quality is quite bad if you are just separated by a wall.

If you prefer wireless, i think it is time to upgrade to wireless N routers. I have been using belkin pre-N router for almost 2 years. Always got full signal wherever i use my laptop in the flat. Wireless adaptors play a part too.
    Last edited by mtunlinn; 26th January 2008 at 12:47 PM.

sound more like your wireless reception to the router is not that good because of the walls. you can solve this by adding a wireless point in your other room. there's also a powerline ethernet device from aztech and netgear that uses your electrical circuit to extend your network. can find at funan or sls.

i believe starhub allows multiple modems in one home - in fact they probably prefer that. there won't be any clash of ip addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by mtunlinn View Post
    It won't be allowed, if you are using starhub. For singtel, you can apply for another line and get 2 internet accounts.
    actually they did allow it. it's in one of their t&c pages somewhere for maxonline subscribers long ago. we were not allowed to use routers then cos they claimed that it would affect the bandwidth
    Last edited by madmacs; 26th January 2008 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    actually they did allow it. it's in one of their t&c pages somewhere for maxonline subscribers long ago. we were not allowed to use routers then cos they claimed that it would affect the bandwidth
    I thought each account is only allowed to have one MAC address (i.e the modem).

Then if we have 2 modems in a flat, each will have full bandwidth (let's say 8Mbps each) for a single account??

Then if we have 2 modems in a flat, each will have full bandwidth (let's say 8Mbps each) for a single account??
    that used to be starhub/scv's policy. doesn't apply now since they even offer wireless routers in their packages.

it's up to full bandwidth for each... since it's still a shared pipe.

one starhub account, one mac id. you plug in one unregistered modem, you will be led to the flexisurf page where you can use credit card to pay as you surf.

Quote Originally Posted by di0nysus View Post

Thanks!
    gotta check, your DC is disconnected from net cos of (a)bad connection to ISP, or (b)ISP sucks, or your (c)router auto restart (something wrong), or your (d) wireless connection drop.

if for

a) contact your ISP
    b) suck thumb, unless get business line, really can make a hoo-haa... pay premium get premium
    c) change router, or RMA
    d) probably your neighbour use a higher powered ones than you, disrupting your connection... or a TV or something between your connection causing disruption. go buy a higher dbi one, pwn your neighbour deepdeep.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    gotta check, your DC is disconnected from net cos of (a)bad connection to ISP, or (b)ISP sucks, or your (c)router auto restart (something wrong), or your (d) wireless connection drop.

if for

a) contact your ISP
    b) suck thumb, unless get business line, really can make a hoo-haa... pay premium get premium
    c) change router, or RMA
    d) probably your neighbour use a higher powered ones than you, disrupting your connection... or a TV or something between your connection causing disruption. go buy a higher dbi one, pwn your neighbour deepdeep.
    he got 2 pc so can easily confirm (a) (b) and (c) i think (d) is pretty much confirmed in his post

You can have 2 modems in a flat for a single account. Just that you have to pay double your subscription fee.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

thanks all for your responses..sigh..can't have 2 modems unless pay for another service.

DCA... the main pc connect to the router works perfectly..no DC ever...

the wireless one across a wall (displacement only 0.5m at most) suffers DC once every hr etc..the signal seems to be strong..am using Linksys G router (w speed boost), and the wireless PC runs on Vista...not sure if there's a reason connected to it.

guess I"ll have to bear with it....or maybe get a super long cable to rout across the rooms...hee

It won't be allowed (i think), if you are using starhub. For singtel, you can apply for another line and get 2 internet accounts.

The best is to use wires instead of wireless. I don't like the hugely popular linksys G routers that many of my friends are using. Signal quality is quite bad if you are just separated by a wall.

If you prefer wireless, i think it is time to upgrade to wireless N routers. I have been using belkin pre-N router for almost 2 years. Always got full signal wherever i use my laptop in the flat. Wireless adaptors play a part too.
    Agree with you. Linksys sucks big time. I have used 2 routers from Linksys and both died after the one year warranty is up. Now Starhub don't really use Linksys anymore for their packages.

Wireless-N is the way to go now! I am using a made in Taiwan brand called EnGenius. It's one small little router (comes with Gigabit Ethernet) which is serving me very well. I am also using 9dbi Antennas (actual reading is around 7dbi). That helps a lot too. Even through walls, I am able to get full signal.

D-Link and Belkin has one Gigabit Router with Wireless-N as well. Price is around $190-$200.
    Belkin one is quite cool which comes with a LCD display on the router itself.