View Poll Results: Canon 10D or Nikon D100 ?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Canon 10D

46 51.69%
  • Nikon D100

43 48.31%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon 10D and Nikon D100

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: grup

Originally posted by NorthernLights
    Thanks...is the central branch still open?
    it should be...

Sengkang got a few good photography books.. you can also try Woodlands, the reference section very good.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Hi Northernlights,

Very good!! I am happy to hear you are not giving up and letting your mind rot away. It is very disappointing to see people picking up photography only to give up within a few months because they could not achieve the standard they thought they could with some expensive cameras and lenses.

Keep pushing yourself to learn more. Good for you!! Keep it up.

Andy Ho
    http://andyho.clubsnap.org/gallery/

Originally posted by Andy Ho
    Hi Northernlights,

Very good!! I am happy to hear you are not giving up and letting your mind rot away. It is very disappointing to see people picking up photography only to give up within a few months because they could not achieve the standard they thought they could with some expensive cameras and lenses.

Andy Ho
    OT sorry ... but Andy, I am extremely impressed by your gallery! Those pictures make me want to make a trip down to Ubin myself one of these days!

cheers,
    sfhuang

Originally posted by sfhuang
    OT sorry ... but Andy, I am extremely impressed by your gallery! Those pictures make me want to make a trip down to Ubin myself one of these days!

cheers,
    sfhuang
    And you got a very cute girl too!! The wonders of photography...when you look back at what you shot last time and reminice...

Come on down to Ubin and enjoy yourself!!!

Andy Ho

Default wow

Hi Northernlights,

Andy Ho

Your Pulau Ubin pics are very stunning. I think I will start working with shapes in sillouette.

The skies were very blue...did you take them with polariser even towards the evening dusk?

The lightning shot was just amazing. did you leave the cam in bulb mode and waited for the moment?

Tim

Default Re: wow

Originally posted by NorthernLights

Your Pulau Ubin pics are very stunning. I think I will start working with shapes in sillouette.

The skies were very blue...did you take them with polariser even towards the evening dusk?

The lightning shot was just amazing. did you leave the cam in bulb mode and waited for the moment?

Tim
    I don't use polarisers. Not that it is wrong to use but just don't see the necessity. I shot with slides films and because of the extra contrast and colour, the use of polarisers will render the sky a bit too dark.

For the lightning shot, it was more of a "grab shot". I was injured in Ubin that day and was sent to hospital. After 8 stitches on my hand and half a day wasted, I decided to go back again to rest myself. I noticed the sky getting dark and sat there for 2 hours waiting for lightning to strike. Lightning will usually strike about 3 to 6 times in the same location and that gave me ample time to get in position for the shot. As my hand was under extreme pain from the stitches, I could only handhold my Nikon F5 with one hand. I wished I could set up tripod for shooting in bulb mode but i can't even open the tripod legs. I could only hope that I got it right. Lucky me, I got the first shot right on spot and tack sharp. Subsequent shots came out blur due to handshake.

Exposure: 1/15 sec
    Aperture: f/2
    Lens: 35mm manual lens
    Film: Kodak E100VS
    Scanned at 4000dpi and downsized for web.

Regards,

Andy Ho

Default Re: Re: wow

For the lightning shot, it was more of a "grab shot". I was injured in Ubin that day and was sent to hospital. After 8 stitches on my hand and half a day wasted, I decided to go back again to rest myself.

sorry for the OT, what happened to you at Ubin? after 8 stitches in hospital and still go back ubin (on the same day??) to continue shooting??

Default Re: Re: Re: wow

Originally posted by Wai

sorry for the OT, what happened to you at Ubin? after 8 stitches in hospital and still go back ubin (on the same day??) to continue shooting??
    I fell off the bike after it hit some granite rocks and diesel on the floor. It was a slight fall but the granite rock caused a deep cut in my hand and it was a very bloody incident.

I don't know why I went back to Ubin instead of going home. Guess it is the passion for that place...

Regards,

Andy Ho

Default 10D catching up

35 to 37...the scale in Whacker's brain is tipping over again...

Andy,

I admire your spirit! I will resolve to try and hopefully reach 50% of your standard in 2 years of hard work!!

FYI

26 Key Advantages of The EOS 10D over the Nikon D100

From Canon Marketing....so may be a bit bias

Originally posted by Wai
    FYI

A bit bias? Like Mount Everest is a little high?

<Flame>
    A lot of it is outdated already, some are outright lies, although some are true but quite a few with dubious advantage.

Eg: "Greater colour space control": 4 sRGB <- true but why do you need it? I need a large gamut, I switch to AdobeRGB. As for the untagged issue, any D100 with v2.0 firmware (since end of last year, before 10D came out btw) will have files tagged properly. Compared this to Canon's own manual states that the 10D does not tag it the files with AdobeRGB. So who is right here?

CF write RAW via MD might be correct but if you visit the CF DB you will see that consistently, with Lexar WA or even the cheap Transcend 30x, D100 writes faster consistently, both JPG and RAW for other media. Who buys MD nowadays anyway with 1GB CF so cheap, cheaper than MD?

The reason why it needs to write both JPG + RAW is that the writing and previewing of the images on the LCD is so much slower (need to finish writing before you can preview vs preview anytime after taking a shot) to be able to appear. Couple this with the slower speed of writing, heh.

Check the nice distortion of the battery life as well. Some have done 4-6 hours non-stop shooting with a single battery, over 2000 shots with little built-in flash and some previewing. Notice the exact specification (25% flash => with more or less flash, it loses to D100 ).

Or the better vertical grip. Ha! the MB-D100 can take two of the "Camcorder battery" or in an emergency (like when you are travelling or during a photoshoot), can use AA batteries. => the vertical grip of the 10D cannot use AA batteries. Who don't want this flexibility, rise your hand.
    </flame>
    Frankly, they have diminish themselves in my eye by producing such a bad document. Try sticking to a more reasonable discussion will win more converts.

Not worth the electrons to store the data on.
    Last edited by Watcher; 30th May 2003 at 01:03 PM.

Originally posted by Watcher
    Frankly, they have diminish themselves in my eye by producing such a bad document. Try sticking to a more reasonable discussion will win more converts.

Not worth the electrons to store the data on.
    Yeah, how dare they mention irrelevant things like Magnesium vs Plastic body, ISO 100 availability, great white balance controls, less digital noise, large buffer.

And wow, the 10D only has better battery life if the pop-up flash is not used extensively! Don't they know that people use the pop-up flash most of the time! Who asked Canon to make a more powerful pop-up flash, they should make a weaker one to increase battery life.

Originally posted by Wai
    FYI

I doubt this writer know or ever touch D100.
    I'm agree with watcher.
    Facts:
    1. D100 has aluminium chasis.
    2. Lexar WA perform better with D100.
    3. Five focusing points light up by red LED and grid also light up by LED.
    4. D100 has custom curve function with NC3
    5. Instant image reviewing.

Strange Canon marketing can write something that really misleading.
    W204FL

Originally posted by erwinx
    Yeah, how dare they mention irrelevant things like Magnesium vs Plastic body, ISO 100 availability, great white balance controls, less digital noise, large buffer.

And wow, the 10D only has better battery life if the pop-up flash is not used extensively! Don't they know that people use the pop-up flash most of the time! Who asked Canon to make a more powerful pop-up flash, they should make a weaker one to increase battery life.
    hehe, I sense just a hint of sarcasm here

hmmm...i never use the build in flash one...dun mind if Canon actually remove it to cut cost

or replace it with AF assist IR and wireless ETTL transmitter
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Originally posted by cyrilng
    hehe, I sense just a hint of sarcasm here

Canon Nikon Canon Nikon Canon Nikon people should just lighten up No good to let Canon dominate the market anyway. Need competition to push prices down.

No good to let Canon dominate the market anyway. Need competition to push prices down.
    Kodak Minolta Sigma quickly catch up

and the war heats up...

I would promote 6 honest, truthful statements rather than 26 mixture of truths and lies. I guess there is very little integrity anywhere. To me, a single lie wipes out the entire document, regardless if the rest are correct. I value honesty; some people have no principles

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast