Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16-bit vs 8-bit colors in PS.... Any difference?

Default Re: 16-bit vs 8-bit colors in PS.... Any difference?

Yap, all the replies are correct & benefit for thought.

If you are professional DI artist, you will definitely opt in for 16bits right from the start, that is capturing. This also bring out another interesting fact that why a commercial/advertising shooter shoots with digital back rather than DSLR ... for not even a FF can match that of a 5Mp digital back dated 6 years old.

The end results of those giant prints along Orchard Rd testify this.

Quote Originally Posted by Volks View Post

If you are professional DI artist, you will definitely opt in for 16bits right from the start, that is capturing. This also bring out another interesting fact that why a commercial/advertising shooter shoots with digital back rather than DSLR ... for not even a FF can match that of a 5Mp digital back dated 6 years old.

yeap, just like a 10Mp P&S can't match a 6Mp DSLR, a FF 12Mp DSLR can't match a 6Mp MF digital back. Pixel count is just one part of the digital game.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    let me give an analogy: 8bit colour is like we have $1 value made up of 10x 10 coins, whereas 16bit colour is like $1 value made up of 100x 1 coins... its still $1 value but when using 1 coins, the $1 value is more finely differentiated
    Taking that analogy a little further....

If I take a bunch of $1 values.... and start making serious adjustments to them, in the 16-bit world of using 1c coins, you could end up with values like 1.20, 1.21, 1.22, 1.23. 1.24, 1.25, 1.26, 1.27, 1.28, 1.29 and 1.30. But in the 8-bit world with 10c coins, you'd end up with 1.20, 1.20, 1.20, 1.20, 1.20, 1.30, 1.30, 1.30, 1.30, 1.30, 1.30. These rounding errors occur because what you are using isn't fine grained enough, thus you start getting "gaps" in your values, thus causing the banding that appears when you start to manipulate an 8-bit jpeg image.

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    Thanks. So I guess 8 bits or 16 bits are just how the image is represented, over a range of 8 bits or a bigger range of 16 bits? Correct?
    yes, basically the representation of the range of colors...the number will then be mapped to a visible color that you see on the monitor. This map is what color calibration is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Volks View Post

actually, for commercial DI, there is the added component of economy of effort... I'm not going to work on an image in 16bit if the image is going to be used in a catalogue or a newspaper print only and the colours are pretty much as they are shot in studio conditions... I'll probably work in sRGB as well... horses for courses, and time is money...

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    Taking that analogy a little further....
    let me push it further :

US$1 is about 1.4 times the value of a S$1... say Adobe RGB is US$ and sRGB is S$ (but obviously ARGB is not 1.4 times the size of sRGB)... thus using their respective 10c coins, we have US$1 = 10x 10 US cents and S$1 = 10x 10 Singapore cents... the monetary value of US$1 is obviously larger than the monetary value of S$1... but on the other hand, because each Singapore 10 cent coin is of a smaller value than its US counterpart, the relative transition in value from 1x 10cent coin to another 10cent coin is smaller... thus each Singapore 10 cent coin describes a smoother transition in monetary value than each US 10 cent coin (where each additional US 10 cent coin is an equivalent jump of Singapore 14cents)... confused yet?...

what I'm trying to say is, if the colour that needs to be reproduced in an image can be covered in sRGB, than the image in sRGB would have smoother colour for a certain bit-depth than if it were to be in another colour profile with a larger gamut, or range of possible colour, like AGB or ProPhoto RGB because the colour would be spread over a larger range of RGB values... horses for courses (I like this turn of speech )...

>actually, for commercial DI, there is the added component of economy of effort...
    I 2nd theRBK's comment, 8-bit is still the NORM for all commecial DI out there.

And regarding using srgb, well I agree to an extend. But simply because most works are placed from newspapers to whatever media, there will seldom be the luxury of using a smaller gamut. Non technical term is 'cover own backside'...

Quote Originally Posted by firestone View Post
    >actually, for commercial DI, there is the added component of economy of effort...
    I 2nd theRBK's comment, 8-bit is still the NORM for all commecial DI out there.
    I wouldn't say all... but quite a good deal of it...

Quote Originally Posted by firestone View Post
    And regarding using srgb, well I agree to an extend. But simply because most works are placed from newspapers to whatever media, there will seldom be the luxury of using a smaller gamut. Non technical term is 'cover own backside'...
    actually most media cannot reproduce greater than sRGB gamut... unless printing using high end photo quality inkjets...

[QUOTE=theRBK;3785201]I wouldn't say all... but quite a good deal of it...

>I 2nd theRBK's comment, 8-bit is still the NORM for all commecial DI out there.

Well, I did say its the NORM, which meant NOT all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12