Thread: Macro shot of a rose

Default Macro shot of a rose

Hey guys,

I shot this photo at a wedding, and switched to my sigma 105mm 2.8 macro to shoot this at f2.8, 1/4s, ISO 200.

Just like to know what you think about this, my feeling is that i'm focusing on the wrong area, or that maybe my aperture is too wide.

Thanks!
    Last edited by supermengwei2; 24th January 2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: to embed

Default Re: Macro shot of a rose

First of all, cant really tell it is a rose from your shot. If you are shooting at wide aperture, you gotta decide where your focus point is. In your shot, part of the sepal and part of the stalk are in focus only... doesn't really make sense to me.
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

sepal can be a subject but need the whole flower to create the context. u have cropped too tight.

Agree with the cropped too tight... can't really tell its a rose ... like bottom up feeling...
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

thanks for the comments folks, i agree it's probably cropped too much.

Any ideas about the lighting for this? my flash bounced off from the left, as you can see, anyone think it would be better for all of it to be evenly lit?

Hallo,
    a little from my side. I think the rest of them have talked abaout it being to tightly cropped.

you can still make the sepal the subject but you have to be careful of the other parts of the stalk that was also the same distance as the sepal. if not , like your photo, it seems like there's two focus area.

IMO, The lightening is insufficient. Can't really make out the color of the sepal. You can try moving yourself or moving the rose so that the lights are more complementing to the whole flower without having the compromising the sepal part.

so much for now... gtg