Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it necessary to have a tripod?

I think there is a need to clarify the shakey or erroneous concepts of some posters...even if it means an argument is likely. This is to protect newbies from getting inaccurate info or ideas.

I totally agree with Knighthunter.

As for Clive, man, I don't know what the heck you're driving at in your wordy posts above! R you some psychology student? Ur words sounded as flowery as Freud!

I haven't heard of anyone doing 1 or 2 seconds handheld shots. not with even the widest angle lens. Not in my wildest dreams I can do it myself. And I won't either. It is not a good practice. Save all excuses or psychological theories. It ain't gonna work. It's a matter or how blur the shots you're gonna get.

to each his own i think... to be fair to clive.. maybe he does have steady hands and frame of mind to do it up to 1s or maybe that particular shot was only up to 4r and of something whereby motion blur was not obvious or even not noticable to him. ( like to my newbie eyes... i dun see any blur on my pics but posted here and pple spot and point out to me)

not trying to start a war here just thought that things getting a bit heated up and hand holding is usually a rather personal thing. like for me, due to my incredibly caffinated/alcohol hands and my heavy cam body (eos5) i never handhold less than 1/125.

i think that crysania has a pretty good idea of wat to expect already but at the end of the day, they are all general guides and i think u should just really take out one roll or even better if u using digi, just go shot at different shutter speeds and see wat works for u. at least pay some money to test and u would not regret missing on the vital shot or kiasu.. carry tripod ard! form of exercise!

just my 2 cents worth....no offence meant

onz kinght! i'll pm u to arrange meeting soon

but no need to provide whatever film/processign fee/free tripod/... no, its not a challenge meet here, it rather a friendly just want to meet up to play play with ur d100 and AFS lens since i havent touch cams for quite soem time oredi and also to share experience with e/o as fellow friendshooter. i'll bring some of my old prints for critique n learn soem digial stuff from u, onz manz!

Originally posted by clive
    onz kinght! i'll pm u to arrange meeting soon

but no need to provide whatever film/processign fee/free tripod/... no, its not a challenge meet here, it rather a friendly just want to meet up to play play with ur d100 and AFS lens since i havent touch cams for quite soem time oredi and also to share experience with e/o as fellow friendshooter. i'll bring some of my old prints for critique n learn soem digial stuff from u, onz manz!

hmm interesting.. me very newbie and as explained b4.. got incredibly shaky hand so would not mind learing more abt how to hand hold properly.. care to share the tips guys? if u guys dun mind, i would like to drop by if i free just to see see and learn.

find a support to rest your elbows or hands ...

and also keep your elbows compact to your body ...

Originally posted by dehuis
    hmm interesting.. me very newbie and as explained b4.. got incredibly shaky hand so would not mind learing more abt how to hand hold properly.. care to share the tips guys? if u guys dun mind, i would like to drop by if i free just to see see and learn.
    Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

Dehuis, feel free to join us. I already replied Clive's PM and I am only available in Sat Morning.... I prefer to meet at BG because we can do some trial shoot there rather than eat junk food at BK.

Crysannia,
    Sorry for this OT. But you can go to CP peninsula, go to tripod section and try it with your setup there. The two uncles in the tripod section are nice fellows, but don't be carried away ...just buy what you need and give some margin for your tripod to support your gear if you upgrading in the future.
    W204FL

yeah..woah *flame alert* in here...

cool it man... i know it's amazing for 1-2" handheld... but don't scorn the guy like that...

who knows maybe he uses a strap or triangluar bandage or something..

anyway, yes, u need a tripod. hey it's better if you like taking food shots
    Last edited by GreenEggs_n_Ham; 27th May 2003 at 09:25 PM.
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
    www.theyummyphotographer.blogspot.com

good shots or food shots?? :P

Originally posted by GreenEggs_n_Ham
    anyway, yes, u need a tripod. hey it's better if you like taking food shots
    Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field.
    Portfolio | Gallery

food shots. she does food photography for her students
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
    www.theyummyphotographer.blogspot.com

Thank you all for the valuable feedback. Nice to see that some of you can remember the kind of photos I take.
    Going to visit the zoo soon, so thinking of getting a simple tripod first. (Since my camera also not very heavy). But my friend say don't need to use tripod if going to take animals.

But my friend say don't need to use tripod if going to take animals.
    i think what he is addressing is "convenience": ie its quite a hassle to set up tripod to shoot animals that are constantly moving about

haha
    maybe friend means that animal move hands move all move..all motion blur so no diff! guess maybe coz its in the day, no need but if u dun mind trouble.. be good to bring light one along.

btw.. when u going.. i might be going to the zoo one of these days too. trying to take advantage of the 50% off.

I try not to use the tripod as far as possible, for fear that it'll become more of a crutch to my photography. I used to mount my camera on the tripod for almost everything, for fear of camera shake. Now I've learnt to trust my own handholding ability more.

I guess I'll use my tripod only for low-light photography or macro-photography where longer-exposure times means the camera shake factor becomes CRITICAL. Otherwise, it's just too slow and cumbersome to use lah.

A beanbag can be immensely useful, too.

Originally posted by clive
    buy a cheap tripod will do n u will be happy for a long time. unless u use 400/2.8 and heavier

break that rule by improving your hand steadiness. here are some targets to achieve (i have done i b4 but not always):

28mm: down to 1 s
    50mm: down to 1 s
    200mm: down to 1/45 s
    400mm: down to 1/90 s
    wah lau!!

er ... u have my heartiest congratulations with those man!!

i have a mini tripod (those desktop ones) since my camera isn't dSLR and they come in handy, but like most of u, i sometimes find a (regular) tripod cumbersome, not to mention carrying it around all day sometimes (i dun drive).

however i have also slapped myself on the forehead at times when i did NOT bring the tripod along... hahaha i guess after a while u will be able to decide when to bring and when not to bring. but u will definitely have to own one to be able to make that decision!

Deregistered

I suggest when you go CP to get the tripod, bring ur camera along. Test the camera on potrait also. Then think of the tripod's usefulness down the road to guage how much you want to spend.

I made a ultra bad mistake thinking that I won't upgrade, so now using a SLIK U8000 + Camera + Batt Pack + Speedlight at potrait is giving me heart attacks.

Why? It nearly fell down one day when I was taking shots.

Now looking at a better tripod that can support the weight.

Thom Hogan's website

www.bythom.com

mentions that if you have an ultra sharp lens, if you shoot without a tripod, the image you shoot will not be sharp and all the money you spend on the lens will be wasted.

ToMyself
    Guests

Depending on how important the picture is to you. Depending on what the picture will be used for. Depending on the magnification image is to be enlarged.

Try to use a tripod if and when possible. If not, at least use a monopod/beanbag.

*There will always be camera shake no matter how stable the tripod or your hand is. Its the degree of vibration or shake that you are willing to tolerate that matters.

haha
    maybe friend means that animal move hands move all move..all motion blur so no diff! guess maybe coz its in the day, no need but if u dun mind trouble.. be good to bring light one along.

btw.. when u going.. i might be going to the zoo one of these days too. trying to take advantage of the 50% off.
    Heard that the 50% off is till 31/05 only, am I right?

How to use a bean bag?

In short, I think everyone could do with a tripod. Period.

It takes away the element of camera shake due to hand shake.

Look at it this way, it's universal for all camera, provided it does not exceed the max load. You can still use it even when you change camera.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast