Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Online Petition To AVA

Originally posted by FND
    Can this be considered culling or mass clearing?

-FND->
    Whatever it is - its still cruel.

CAT CULLING??

No wonder my 3 babies are terrified!

Originally posted by nutz
    It's is cruel to put them to sleep, hence the emphasize on the word 'CRUEL'. But then again, we can't possibly expect the AVA or SPCA to provide lodgings for all these animals. Their population figure is alarming and it'd take a lot of manpower and resources to take care of them.
    Fair enuf. But I heard that they're also culling cats that have been sterilised. Now that is BAD. First you encourage pple to sterilise the strays & now you want to kill them just becos you want a more "hygienic" environment. I think we are hygienic enuf - its just a case of being overly sanitised.

Originally posted by nutz
    [B]
    The root of the problem though, still lies with the human species.
    If everyone exercises enough responsibility to keep their pets, then problems of stray animals would never have existed. That said, a society like that would be ideal but how often do we come close to being IDEAL?
    /B]
    I so totally agree with you on this too!

Lots of people buy pets without thinking about the consequences of serious pet ownership. They just want to own a pet but most of them dun even know how to care for a pet. Geez the animal's life is in their hands man.

Now because of that dumb report abt civet cats, you get pple dumping civet cats here! In the first place, such animals should not be kept as house pets. Pet suppliers would not bring such animals in if there wasn't a demand for it. Fed up.

I like animals myself and don't quite approve of culling cats.

I agree that humans who spit and pees everywhere are a whole lot worse than cats.

However, having said that, some pple who don't appreciate animals will be quite irked to have a stray cat come around his/her legs when having a meal at a kopitiam. Not especially if that kitty has been scrounging for food in the dustbin.

But the problem is do we have better solutions than culling/sterilising cats?

Originally posted by VincentLin
    I love cats! *meow meow* And I signed it! *meow meow*

This idea about culling cats is simply crazy! What about dogs? Wait, I love dogs too.

renzor is right about culling those inconsiderate people. but i have my reservations about his comments on turning an event like this into some sort of outing.

it sounded a bit harsh, i find. if people want to make an outing out of the cat culling, let them.

it would be a better idea if people who want to photograph the lovely cats, do it in small numbers (2-3). Otherwise the cats (like all animals and people) will get hostile.

You will need to familiarise yourself (and your big honky camera) with the subject, otherwise, you'll never get a decent shot. IMHO.

actually vincent, when i said not to organise an outing, i meant not asking the volunteers to get the cats out so that we can take pix of them.

shooting the culling process is fine, you may even turn it into some form of picture story. saw the Pest Slayers (that's the actual name of one company hired to round up the kitties) at my office block this afternoon with their nets hunting for the cats. It was a depressing sight.

I do not think culling is a solution at all.

the previous practice of having volunteers rounding up the cats and putting them through sterilisation might not have been the best solution. but was the public well-informed and tolerant enough to see it work?

all the efforts of people who put in hours sending the strays for sterilisation gone just like that. it is sad.

the current campaign is just paranoia on the authorities' part (as usual). saying it's for public health is convenient. why not right?

pai seh, zero_7 is my brother's acct. din realised he din logged out.

Oooh... i guess that clears up the misunderstanding.

My bad.

The poor cats!

I believe some form of public education on pet owning is clearly required before we all go on a massacre.

People, I think a few things need to be done, w/o getting emotional. We have to ask ourselves the following Qs.

1. Is culling a solution to stray cats?
    2. Is sterilisation a long term solution?
    3. Are animal welfare organisations willing to house the strays in a separate location, feed them, keep them and provide medical care for them for full time?
    4. Lets not criticise and get emotional over something. We need to maintain a head when it comes to such issues.

Clearly we know the authroities response to culling is not appropriate, neither does sterilisation when it comes to hygiene of strays.

That is why I see pt 3 as an option. If we really care for the strays, lets do it: house them, feed them and provide for medical care, full time. I was thinking along the lines of meta cattery.

If the govt is willing to provide for free a plot of land so that such a cat sanctuary is made available, then I am willing to start a campaign to raise funds to build such a sanctuary! We would also need volunteers to run such a sanctuary, as someone is needed there to feed and look after the strays.

Otherwise, no point criticising and pointing fingers at who's at fault. Beccause by the time emotions run high and over, many strays wld still needlessly died!

Deregistered

//Not a CWS/SPCA person here//

Just some thoughts and history on this subject....

Culling was an approach started a couple of decades back. Stray population of cats & dogs high, esp around older estates and construction sites. Later, some bunch of govt committees decided that it wasn't going to be a cost effective solution, and proposed to let civil society look after itself.

Enter the sterilisation-plus-adoption programmes. Animal lovers put together efforts to educate the "public". CWS and Kennel Club got together 2 years back for example. Mostly, they reached out to the young, better-heeled, more educated. As for the aunties and ah sohs and ah pors, some were roped in... But they could not reach the voting constituents who stayed in high-rise flats, threw food out of their windows, feed the pigeons/rats, etc.

Efforts of these kind-hearted people (cat-aunties, pigoen-ah sohs, included) became the ire of yuppies with young kids, hate-filled old men and other slightly-bad people...

You ended up with the Town Councils, AVA, various agencies caught between wanting to end the problem, and wanting to answer (read "score points") with their voters.

(continued)

Deregistered

(continued)
    Sterilisation as a principle is today still valid. By getting the strays splayed, they no longer reproduce. So they live happily with us humans (supposedly). But paying for the vet work is not cheap. Its $30-40 to do a male, and double for a female cat. I don't know about dogs. The trouble here is - some people protect the strays from being taken for sterilisation! These are the old, oft-illiterate old folks. So strays continued to proliferate...

The idea of a animal lodge has been mulled over many times. We all know how notoriously expensive land here is. The (economic) opportunity cost of a piece of land for a cattery will probably end up being thrown out of any scrap of budget paper in the entire Civil Service!

And just so, some very kind souls have given to using private premises of their own to keep and look after a collection of strays. So long as nobody knows better, they are safe. The moment a neighbour knows, there goes the sanctuary. Complaints, police reports, MP letters, the works all come falling in the direction.

It's just sad that this is the nature of our society. Signing a petition is as much as it can go. It won't amount to anything more than some civil servant agreeing to "look into it". I've being there. Done that. That's how the game is played.

Deregistered

(sorry for the triple posts. Don't want to give a long one...)

End of the day, we roll with the punch and move on. I'm sure this culling business will cool off after a while. Animal rights groups will declare a phyrric victory and we all go back with our lives.

So, is there anyone who is really interested to go for a meow meow photo shoot? I don't mind organising a series. But it will have to be small groups (max 4 pax per group each time). It will have to be June school hols and probably Sat/Sun evenings.

// moderators, if this is inappropriate, do please delete my 3 posts. //

Human beings are such self-centered creatures. Before there were people on this island, there were already cats, esp. big ones. Isn't it ironic that a city/island named after a big cat is doing its utmost to rid itself of basically harmless felines?

People are scared of getting sars and dying but what's the point of living when your life is compromised every step of the way by paranoia and the constant fear of death?

Fear of the unknown is programmed genetically into our collective human DNA (to ensure our survival) but this has unfortunately translated into a selfish disregard for other forms of life. With this ongoing manic "disinfecting" spree all over the island, the poor cats have become the first casulties in a list that is bound to grow longer.

What is wrong with culling cats? How does the cost of culling compare to that of sterilisation?

Has the petition being submitted???Looking at today's papers, situation may be deteriorating. There u go, a more "caring and gracious" society for us all.

congratulations!

you have identified the underlying motive of this massacre of cats and perhaps dogs.

ECONOMIC reasons... COST-cutting... ya, put down lives when it can save costs. when we are old and wrinkled and health costs for the elderly has reached astronomical figures, perhaps WE would be culled too.

You want to know what's wrong with culling cats? Go to the petition and read the 3430 reasons given so far.

Give
    Originally posted by Zoomer
    What is wrong with culling cats? How does the cost of culling compare to that of sterilisation?

Originally posted by Zoomer

Originally posted by Lindy
    Signed.
    [/url]
    Thank you

Upz

upz

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast