Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Dust in Lens

  1. #1

    Default Dust in Lens

    Hi,how many of you have lens(particulary those push-pull) that have dust residing inside?
    Do you shrug it off as a wear and tear sign or panic and start saving for a replacement lens.
    Whether the dust affect the image does not matter.

  2. #2
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Dust in Lens

    It is common.
    In fact you might even have some specks in new lenses.

    start saving for replacement lens ??!?

    Ryan

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Dust in Lens

    Tiny specks are normal and will not affect pic quality unless it's on your sensor. My 17-40 have a few tiny specks of rainwater inside after 2 occassions of shooting in light rain. My lens is supposed to be 'weather-proof' but u see what happened.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Dust in Lens

    dust peck in my canon 400mm prime lens as well...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Dust in Lens

    Every lens sure will have dusts specks inside one lah.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Dust in Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Every lens sure will have dusts specks inside one lah.
    even buy new lens also come with dust as free give.
    Nikon D600 N35f2, N50f1.4, N24-120f4, Tokina 20-35f2.8, SB900,

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Dust in Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by STTNP View Post
    even buy new lens also come with dust as free give.
    Yeah becos dusts are everywhere, even in cleanrooms except that dust particles are much reduced per square cm.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ang Mo Kio
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Re: Dust in Lens

    There are even my level of clean room. Class 10000, class 1000 and so on...

    I believe the level of cleanroom of producing lens is not as high as wafer fabrication right?

    So just live with the dust in the lens and dun be bother by it.
    Let's get rolling :)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Dust in Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by NoMoney View Post
    There are even my level of clean room. Class 10000, class 1000 and so on...

    I believe the level of cleanroom of producing lens is not as high as wafer fabrication right?

    So just live with the dust in the lens and dun be bother by it.
    Yes wafer fab plants require a higher level of "cleaness", up to as little as 10 particles per square inch.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Catchment Area
    Posts
    2,441

    Default Re: Dust in Lens

    There are many ways of reducing dust in lens for those who are so particular :

    1 Only shoot in clean environment like in aircon places or studio.

    2 Buy only those lenses that are sealed, with constant length, nothing that moves when you zoom and focus. You will end up with much, mucho less dust.

    3 Learn how to carry out cleaning of the elements in the lens yourself. Understand that someone might be conducting such a course. With that, you can clean your lens after each and every shoot! [just like you got to clean your M16 after every shoot, right]
    I love big car, big house, big lenses, but small apertures.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Dust in Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture View Post
    There are many ways of reducing dust in lens for those who are so particular :

    1 Only shoot in clean environment like in aircon places or studio.

    2 Buy only those lenses that are sealed, with constant length, nothing that moves when you zoom and focus. You will end up with much, mucho less dust.

    3 Learn how to carry out cleaning of the elements in the lens yourself. Understand that someone might be conducting such a course. With that, you can clean your lens after each and every shoot! [just like you got to clean your M16 after every shoot, right]
    Usually cleaning of lens elements is only possible for the front and rear element. The rest u'll have to open up the lens which is highly not recommended unless u're a professional of someone who's rich enough to buy replacement lens in case something happens.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: Dust in Lens

    hmm... i also got 2 specks of dust... suddenly just appear... but it is still under warranty... is it free to send it to NSC to remove the dust since it is still under warranty or is it advisable not to?

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Dust in Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtansj View Post
    hmm... i also got 2 specks of dust... suddenly just appear... but it is still under warranty... is it free to send it to NSC to remove the dust since it is still under warranty or is it advisable not to?
    Bro, dusts in lens is not covered under warranty.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •