Thread: Just when you thought the question was dead

Talking Just when you thought the question was dead

Hello there everything,

I am aware that this question has be offered to you all to answer often before, but....

I would like a fresh view on it .

Apart from that, I have spent many searches (googling) and going next door to where they sell tv's, to get a good idea.

So, the question is this:

Given a reasonable amount of money (that means I don't want cheap, and will pay the extra if worth it).

What would you buy if looking for a 52 inch LCD TV ?

Desired spec's are: ......

1) True Hi definition (1080p)
    2) 3 HDMI inputs
    3) at least 2 component inputs
    4) Fibre optic i/o
    5) 3-5ms
    6) 100 or 120hz
    7) etc

As a final clincher, do you know what has become of Toshiba/Canons SED tv's

Cheers and thank you for any replies
    Last edited by Pablo; 22nd January 2008 at 11:47 PM.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Default Re: Just when you thought the question was dead

I am never a fan of LCD TV. Although the contrast level has improved, it is still not good enough and black is never really black. In addition, it is not good for pictures with fast moving seen and this would practically preclude all Hollywood action movies. A good test will be water flowing over rocks and pebbles in the river. I usually see the pictures pixelating.

If I were you, I will consider plasma.

Prototypes of SED showed very good potential during earlier exhibition but nothing much has been heard of it. It looks like OLED may arrive at the scene before SED.

I am never a fan of LCD TV. Although the contrast level has improved, it is still not good enough and black is never really black. In addition, it is not good for pictures with fast moving seen and this would practically preclude all Hollywood action movies. A good test will be water flowing over rocks and pebbles in the river. I usually see the pictures pixelating.

Prototypes of SED showed very good potential during earlier exhibition but nothing much has been heard of it. It looks like OLED may arrive at the scene before SED.

Quote Originally Posted by David Chin View Post

Thank you David Chin,

Thank you David Chin,

Hi David,

I do see that the blacks are not quite as good on LCD as plasma but not enough to sway me I think.

Also if I get a unit with at least 3ms refresh time the motion problem should not be a problem for me.

My only use for the screen is for watching movies in a movie room I am making in our new house.

It wont be used for games and I rarely watch sports (if I do I will watch it on a CRT TV in another room).

Thank you for your reply David
    Last edited by Pablo; 23rd January 2008 at 12:16 AM.
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

i'm also shopping for TV lately, but was looking at smaller sets like 26"
    According to a few different staffs from different shops, they all tell me that smaller TVs are better off with LCD. Anything more than 30", LCDs are no good, plasma will be better

Not sure if this is a common sales tactic for them tho...
    Luv my mAkEuP? or juz hear me r.a.m.b.l.e.....

Can make a trip to Audio House and compare apple to apple ,, easier to decide on the spot.

Anyway, I brought a 37" LCD TV last year ..
    AMPA * WPPI * J team