Thread: Repairing old SLR

Default Repairing old SLR

I found an old SLR in the store room. Cosina, dates back to 1980.

The problem was the shutter's stuck in down position, the flaps are out of place and the mirror is stuck closed. After some tinkering, the mirror's down down, but when I attempt to place the shutter flaps in place, it would retract all the way in. Had a hard time...

Any reputable, affordable shops which I can repair it? Thanks in advance.

Smile Re: Repairing old SLR

try p&G at adephi. see david.

Default Re: Repairing old SLR

check for battery. insert new ones if possible. older version of slr swore by working batteries that's what happened to my slr when i initally though it couldn't be cocked, triggered and thought it's spoilt.

if not try to unscrew some screws and see whether u could manually push the metal pieces to make everything work again but beware of the springs and stuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by boresome View Post
    check for battery. insert new ones if possible. older version of slr swore by working batteries that's what happened to my slr when i initally though it couldn't be cocked, triggered and thought it's spoilt.

if not try to unscrew some screws and see whether u could manually push the metal pieces to make everything work again but beware of the springs and stuffs.
    It's a manual camera

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    I found an old SLR in the store room. Cosina, dates back to 1980.

The problem was the shutter's stuck in down position, the flaps are out of place and the mirror is stuck closed. After some tinkering, the mirror's down down, but when I attempt to place the shutter flaps in place, it would retract all the way in. Had a hard time...
    I won't dare to give a telediagnosis, but would like to point out that the mirror flip-down mechanism on some cameras is triggered by the impact of the second shutter curtain. If you mess around with the shutter curtains manually, they may just be too slow to trigger the mirror mechanics.

When I first cranked (by moving the catch manually), the shutter goes down.

At first. Shutter up, mirror down. When I cranked film crank for first time, shutter came down. When i took a shot, mirror went up, shutter still down, and mirror refuses to come down. When i cranked again, mirror is still up. Unless of cos I moved the mirror down with the lever inside the lens mount ring.

Do I need to send it for repairs?

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    try p&G at adephi. see david.
    Good recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    When I first cranked (by moving the catch manually), the shutter goes down.

At first. Shutter up, mirror down. When I cranked film crank for first time, shutter came down. When i took a shot, mirror went up, shutter still down, and mirror refuses to come down. When i cranked again, mirror is still up. Unless of cos I moved the mirror down with the lever inside the lens mount ring.

Do I need to send it for repairs?
    Please do so.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2