• Hold

27 39.13%
  • Avoid

19 27.54%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: SGX plunge today, would you buy/hold/sell

Default Re: SGX plunge today, would you buy/hold/sell

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    50% consumption drop is unlikely, you will need a depression for that to happen.
    i am saying "suppose", as an example if it happened.

i guess 10-20% reduction is possible

I will hold my horses.....observe the sentiment (obviously it's very bad for these two weeks)

But it's 4Q results announcement soon for most company so I will selectively absorb the good one like blue chips.....my strategy will be 20% of my remaining investment funds for every 150 points drop starting from 2750.....don't get me wrong....I am not an investment expert.....I actually get caught too and locked up most of my funds as I bought quite a lot at over 3000 points so I am actually averaging down

The important thing is to buy only on what you can affort, at the end of the day if the return from the shares dividen exceed the bank FD rate, then it's consider a good call

AS OF NOW: ST Index 2,774.38

Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    AS OF NOW: ST Index 2,774.38
    support line ard 2666-2700

For investors - just continue along with your asset allocation plan and your regular savings plans (this is a good time to average down) and ignore all the noise.

I'll be looking to top up my funds over the next few weeks/months - expect some more volatility in the coming months.

vince123123
    Guests

These support lines are arbitrary lines drawn by analysts that don't really provide much information.

Quote Originally Posted by raincool2005 View Post
    support line ard 2666-2700

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    These support lines are arbitrary lines drawn by analysts that don't really provide much information.
    so far, they had been accurate, the chart technicals help me a lot in my trading... analysts ? depend which house.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    For investors - just continue along with your asset allocation plan and your regular savings plans (this is a good time to average down) and ignore all the noise.

I'll be looking to top up my funds over the next few weeks/months - expect some more volatility in the coming months.
    let me tell u a story, there was a company called Chartered Semicon which share price was like 10 dollars ? my fren invested and ride on a belief of long term investment. The share price is now below a dollar.

$10,000 in cash stuck inside a stock which is now 60-90 cents after 10 years of waiting (.. still waiting) ?

He had a super hard time to average it down... u know ? as if he spend half of his life working for money to average this "investment"
    Last edited by raincool2005; 22nd January 2008 at 03:08 PM.

let me tell u a story, there was a company called Chartered Semicon which share price was like 10 dollars ? my fren invested and ride on a belief of long term investment. The share price is now below a dollar.

$10,000 in cash stuck inside a stock which is now 60-90 cents after 10 years of waiting (.. still waiting) ?

He had a super hard time to average it down... u know ? as if he spend half of his life working for money to average this "investment"
    Siong man!!!

Talking about Chartered Semiconductor.

This stock was listed before the Tech bubble bursted. Big boys pushed the stocks to all time high to attract "suckers" to buy at unrealistic prices. One of my ex-colleagues bought it at $15. He has already written it down as bad debt.

Creative Technology was the classic. It was trading at one time for more than $50 during the Tech Boom.

Don't chase stocks even though the price is moving up everyday. There is this theory - don't be the last guy to hold the baby during the musical chair game.

I am still waiting for SIA to fall to $7.

10,000 in cash stuck inside a stock which is now 60-90 cents after 10 years of waiting ?

He had a hard time to average it down... u know ?
    Which is one of the reasons why I don't buy individual stocks.... I'm looking for low cost index funds (which are readily available in the overseas markets (ag. US, Aus), not so popular here in Sg yet)

Do know what to do... not an expect... got money buy... no money sell..cash is king!

BILLIONAIRE investor George Soros said the world was facing the worst financial crisis since World War II and that the US was threatened with recession.
    “The situation is much more serious than any other financial crisis since the end of World War Two,” Mr Soros was quoted as saying in an interview with the Austrian newspaper, Standard.

He said that politics had been guided by some basic misunderstandings over the past few years, stemming from something which he called “market fundamentalism” - the belief that financial markets tended to act as a balance.

“This is the wrong idea,” he said. “We really do have a serious financial crisis now.”

Asked whether he thought the US was headed for a recession, he said: “Yes, this is a threat in the United States.”

He added that he was surprised at how little understanding there had been on how recession was also a threat to Europe.

European shares fell nearly 6 per cent on Monday - their biggest one-day slide since the September 11, 2001 attacks in the US - as fears of a US recession and more write-downs in the financial sector sparked a broad-based sell-off.

BILLIONAIRE investor George Soros said the world was facing the worst financial crisis since World War II and that the US was threatened with recession.
    “The situation is much more serious than any other financial crisis since the end of World War Two,” Mr Soros was quoted as saying in an interview with the Austrian newspaper, Standard.

He said that politics had been guided by some basic misunderstandings over the past few years, stemming from something which he called “market fundamentalism” - the belief that financial markets tended to act as a balance.

“This is the wrong idea,” he said. “We really do have a serious financial crisis now.”

Asked whether he thought the US was headed for a recession, he said: “Yes, this is a threat in the United States.”

He added that he was surprised at how little understanding there had been on how recession was also a threat to Europe.

European shares fell nearly 6 per cent on Monday - their biggest one-day slide since the September 11, 2001 attacks in the US - as fears of a US recession and more write-downs in the financial sector sparked a broad-based sell-off.
    Master... ask u what the best thing to do with our money now?
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

ST Index 2,766.94 -150.21
    Hang Seng close at 8% lower -2061.23

wah liew,

i regreted not studying economics last time....

dun even know what u guys toking about....with all the jargon.

**** xia, got any good fundamental books to read and "practise"?

would like to enquire what to do if i want to grow $$$.........

at home already alot of money plants with no real $$$ though

Many thought the usual method buying on dips will help making money when selling at high or rebound, well it may work, but this time the risk is high and upside will not be much.
    I am one of them .... frankly most of the time it doesnt work!
    I am still holding on to 3 Cosco ($5-80) bought a few weeks ago .... now is around $4!
    Like kanna robbed of a 1D Mk III
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by eow View Post
    Master... ask u what the best thing to do with our money now?
    keep it

inflation will peak this year.
    Last edited by raincool2005; 22nd January 2008 at 04:42 PM.

keep it

Master, what do i do with my stocks now????
    always the Light, .... always.

keep it

Great advice!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast