• Hold

27 39.13%
  • Avoid

19 27.54%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 58910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: SGX plunge today, would you buy/hold/sell

Default Re: SGX plunge today, would you buy/hold/sell

Quote Originally Posted by NitroTech View Post
    yeah that's true..... but no recession will start with a bear market. Just like no soccer game will start with a red card.

I think we'll see a short bull then probably the recession. Just my opinion.
    with all great respect, i hope he is right on our strength to ride out global slowdown, but.. we all know when demand is going down, supply will be cut down too... USA is a $9.5 trillion dollar consumer, China is $1.5 trillion whereas India is $650 billion, even u add both China and India together, it still cannot make up even 50% of USA consumption levels.

Tell that to those who bought at S$65.....
    Why live in the past? We should be looking forward.

Creative Techology chiong to that kind of level during the tech bubble and people purchased it. Why? Do you think that it is justifiable at that price. A lot of people were burned because of greed.

Now that Creative has come down to a very reasonable level. < $5 is a good buy for investment.

Let recession be the headline for this year so that markets will collapse.

I have spoken to a few men with lot of cash. All waiting for the selldown to buy.

What goes down must come up one day. This is a golden opportunity after so many years of bull run. Share prices have been so high which mean capital outlay and the risks are higher.

With this recession picture, share prices have corrected a fair bit.

Yes, you guys are right. Sell into strength because there is no such thing as long term investment. Once you make profits, realise it and not paper gain. And with market volatility, you can sell first to realise the gains and then buy back the next round when the share prices retreated.

Traders like this kind of markets.

Short sellers are panicky covering back their positions. STI has rallied almost 200 points for the past 3 days.

vince123123
    Guests

No such thing as long term investment? Thats new to me...

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    No such thing as long term investment? Thats new to me...
    First of all, what is your definition of long term?

Quote Originally Posted by USM View Post
    long-term investment - 1 week
    medium term - 3 days
    short-term - intra-day

Let recession be the headline for this year so that markets will collapse.

I have spoken to a few men with lot of cash. All waiting for the selldown to buy.

What goes down must come up one day. This is a golden opportunity after so many years of bull run. Share prices have been so high which mean capital outlay and the risks are higher.

With this recession picture, share prices have corrected a fair bit.

Yes, you guys are right. Sell into strength because there is no such thing as long term investment. Once you make profits, realise it and not paper gain. And with market volatility, you can sell first to realise the gains and then buy back the next round when the share prices retreated.

Traders like this kind of markets.
    sell and take profits while u can ! After August 2008, the real show will start.

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm, I think since you made the initial comment, it would be more useful if you could give your definition in the context of your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Hmm, I think since you made the initial comment, it would be more useful if you could give your definition in the context of your comment.
    Since you sounded unbelieveable on my statement, it would better for you to let us know your definition.

Anyway, let drop the matter.

I rather spend time making money from the market.

STI rallied 96 points today. Once again, I saw many retail investors smiling today.

Yup today is a good day, just nice for tomorrow budget day speech.

vince123123
    Guests

I find it strange that you're asking me to give my view on what is long term investment when you're the one using the term to say that there is no such thing as a long term investment.

I anticipate it is because no matter what I say, you will say "Oh but my definition of long term is [insert term other than what I said]".

Since you put forth the statement that "there is no such thing as a long term investment", do tell us what you mean by long term investment so that we can understand why there is no such thing.

Unless of course, you wish to withdraw your original statement, then it is also okay

Anyway, since you don't want to tell us what is "long term" in your original statement, then lets drop it and let the rest assess the validity based on the information as it stands

Since you sounded unbelieveable on my statement, it would better for you to let us know your definition.

Anyway, let drop the matter.

STI rallied 96 points today. Once again, I saw many retail investors smiling today.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    Yup today is a good day, just nice for tomorrow budget day speech.
    after budget day over, it is time to S.

yup they were smiling. cos they made back a small percentage to cover their "still outstanding" contra losses.

vince123123
    Guests

Hahah, thats a good one. Its just a cycle, with ups and downs.

yup they were smiling. cos they made back a small percentage to cover their "still outstanding" contra losses.

Budget Day rally.

Many penny stocks chiong. Can sense that syndicates are here today.

US sub-prime crisis costs global loss of US$7.7 trillion
    Posted: 15 February 2008 0538 hrs

NEW YORK : The meltdown in the US sub-prime real-estate market has led to a global loss of 7.7 trillion dollars in stock-market value since October, a report by Bank of America showed on Thursday.

The crisis, which has spread beyond US shores to banks and other sectors worldwide, is "one of the most vicious in financial history," according to Bank of America chief market strategist Joseph Quinlan.

Quinlan said in the report that the losses are worse than any in the past few decades, including Wall Street's Black Monday of 1987, the 1999 Brazilian real currency crisis and the collapse of hedge fund Long Term Capital Management (LTCM) in 1998.

An analysis by the US bank showed that in the most recent episode linked to sub-prime, or high-risk, real estate loans to people with shaky credit, world market capitalisation was down 14.7 percent three months after a peak in late October.

That compared with a similar loss three months later of 13.2 percent after the LTCM crisis, 9.8 percent for Black Monday and 6.1 percent for the Brazil crisis.

The losses were also greater than those suffered after the September 11, 2001, terror attacks, the Asian financial crisis starting in 1997, Argentina's default on its debt in 2001 and the 1994 Mexican peso crisis.

"It could take months or even years before Wall Street and others get a handle on the true cost of the US sub-prime meltdown and the attendant global credit crunch," Quinlan said.

"While sub-prime loans were once thought to be relatively small in scale and contained to just one segment of the US financial sector, the opposite has become painfully evident over the past few months."

A report last week by Standard & Poors ratings agency showed global stock markets were walloped with a collective loss of 5.2 trillion dollars in the month of January alone.

Quinlan said it is not clear that the massacre in equities is over yet.

"Against this backdrop, any investor that has been buying US equities on the dips over the past few months has, in general, dug himself a deeper hole," he said.

"In the end, the current financial crisis is one for the record books and one, more ominously, not over yet." - AFP/de

one thing i don't understand. if there is a global loss of $7.7 trillion, then someone would've made a profit, right ? if no one made the profit, then where did the $7.7 trillion go ? or was it all artificially inflated money ?

i wish money too was like energy.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt....

vince123123
    Guests

Well those who short sell can make money

As an aside, money can be made whether the stock market goes up or down; hence it is a fallacy to say that only rallies make investors happy.

STI continues to chiong!

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 58910111215 ... LastLast