Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Sixti L Exposure Meter

  1. #1

    Smile Sixti L Exposure Meter

    Hi - does anyone have any idea how one of these meters works? It's a small accessory shoe device - the needle moves OK, but when you turn a dial, black and red strips change position across the window which has the needle in. But the strips move in steps - it's not possible to exactly match needle to any one of the strips? ANY ideas, anyone? A link to a manual would be superb! Thanks, Richard

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sixti L Exposure Meter

    Kind of hard to explain but if you bring to my house I'll explain to you in person...

  3. #3

    Default Re: Sixti L Exposure Meter

    Hi - thanks for the reply. I'm in Rochester, Kent, UK - not sure where you are located. If it's a long way, any ifo you could give - either on the forum or by email to Brandsman@aol.com would be very much appreciated. This little meter looks great on my Zorki 4, but I have no idea what it is trying to tell me! Best wishes, Richard

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Sixti L Exposure Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandsman View Post
    Hi - does anyone have any idea how one of these meters works? It's a small accessory shoe device - the needle moves OK, but when you turn a dial, black and red strips change position across the window which has the needle in. But the strips move in steps - it's not possible to exactly match needle to any one of the strips? ANY ideas, anyone?
    You match the strips as closely as you can to the needle. There is probably not much point in using this decades-old meter today - it is based on a Selenium photovoltaic cell. These cells degrade over time. It is unlikely that the meter still gives useful readings today. Of course you can always check by comparing with a known good meter.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Sixti L Exposure Meter

    Thanks for that. Do I then read off the exposure from the needle or from the nearest strip? The needle still reacts very well to light and I do have a Weston that I can check against. Regards, Richard

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Sixti L Exposure Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandsman View Post
    Thanks for that. Do I then read off the exposure from the needle or from the nearest strip? The needle still reacts very well to light and I do have a Weston that I can check against. Regards, Richard
    You track the needle with the strip by turning a drum with imprinted relative apertures (or exposure times, not sure). Once adjusted, the numbers on the drum pair up with a fixed column of exposure times (or aperture numbers) to form a table of suitable time/aperture combinations.

    There may be black and red numbers and tracking bars. My memory is a bit flaky here, but I believe one of them (probably the red set) is for incident light measurements (for most Gossen selenium meters, there should be a diffusor that can be mounted/flipped/slid in front of the cell), and the other set would be for reflected light measurements (without diffusor). Some Gossen meters also have "strange" exposure times listed; these should refer to movie camera sector shutters and frame rates. Take all of this with a grain of salt - I've played only with Sixtinos (the Sixi may be slightly different), and that was quite a while ago.

    Some Gossen meters also came with a colour temperature measurement device - several colour patches with pronounced metamerism that have to be matched by eye.
    Last edited by LittleWolf; 21st January 2008 at 09:34 PM.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Sixti L Exposure Meter

    Thank you for that. Tried it as you suggested and checked against a Weston Master 3. SPOT ON!!! Well - within stop anyway! Thank you so much for your help. Just in case anyone else is interested - the inner dial has film speed numbers on it - when you turn the outer dial, this causes the drum inside the meter to rotate and give you suggested readings as Little Wolf explained below. The clever bit is the idea that you just turn the outer dial until the needle is as near as possible to one of the black (for reflected light) strips - then just read of the exposure from the table to the right of the dial. Amazing that it still works so well after all this time - it looks as if it has been in it's case for most of it's life! That may have saved the selenium? Anyway, it looks great perched on the accessory shoe of my
    Zorki 4 and clearly is actually useable. My sincere thanks to all that replied. Richard

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Sixti L Exposure Meter

    Quote Originally Posted by Brandsman View Post
    The clever bit is the idea that you just turn the outer dial until the needle is as near as possible to one of the black (for reflected light) strips - then just read of the exposure from the table to the right of the dial.
    This is actually how many/most handheld meters used to work (before the advent of digital readouts etc.). Gossen used a rotating drum, most others use rotating disks/rings - just a cosmetic difference.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •