Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: putting my PR to use

Default Re: putting my PR to use

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    if you read properly, the expat just came and put the bags away and sat down, the owner of the bags did tell him he was sitting there and the response was "no you're not"
    no i'm saying why didn't ts tell the expat that the seats were taken already instead of waiting for the expat to be an ass to say something.

i just go to the table, say very loudly "wah, free tissue!" put them in my pocket, and proceed to enjoy my meal.

the owners of the tissue frequently return looking very baffled and wonder where their tissue went. hehe
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

I guess its the response... "no you're not!". Its the way many expats normally answer you when they believe they are right. This might be OT, but when I brought my school kids to Perth during the dec hols, we were given a hard time by the locals while clearing immigration because we followed the instructions by their airport police or immigration officers. Seeing that we were a big group consisting of 30 11 year old kids, they let us go through the queue meant for locals. A group of locals, which included a migrated probably Singaporean chinese lady and her two kids, came behind us and started barraging us with comments to the effect that we just do not follow rules. I tried to explain and the words "NO YOU'RE NOT!" came out strong. I called all my kids to get back and allow them to go to the front but the officers stopped me and told me to move on. He then apologised to the people and so on and so forth.
    I have come across many situations where expats try to outdo locals in queues and so on. Funny thing is that the locals in the middle will normally be on their sides until we speak out for our rights. The problem is, we sometimes allow such things to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by D100S View Post
    I guess its the response... "no you're not!". Its the way many expats normally answer you when they believe they are right. This might be OT, but when I brought my school kids to Perth during the dec hols, we were given a hard time by the locals while clearing immigration because we followed the instructions by their airport police or immigration officers. Seeing that we were a big group consisting of 30 11 year old kids, they let us go through the queue meant for locals. A group of locals, which included a migrated probably Singaporean chinese lady and her two kids, came behind us and started barraging us with comments to the effect that we just do not follow rules. I tried to explain and the words "NO YOU'RE NOT!" came out strong. I called all my kids to get back and allow them to go to the front but the officers stopped me and told me to move on. He then apologised to the people and so on and so forth.
    I have come across many situations where expats try to outdo locals in queues and so on. Funny thing is that the locals in the middle will normally be on their sides until we speak out for our rights. The problem is, we sometimes allow such things to happen.
    no la your case the chinese lady was just being a bitch who thought you got special treatment and never look at why you were allowed to go to the other q. what to do people anywhere are like that one. this one has nothing to do with expats wanting to outdo locals.

vince123123
    Guests

That's interesting, I'll go look around and pocket free tissue paper hehe

I don't often go to Harbourfront though;and Vivocity doesn't seem to practice that.

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay View Post
    foodcourts all around like harbourfront does that too..

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    In Singapore, reserving seats with bags or tissue paper is in fact the norm and considered acceptable, but considered selfish/rude in some countries.
    ../azul123
    tissue paper is the worst act IMHO

most selfish kind of people available, can see that all the time in shenton way.
    Last edited by conquer500; 21st January 2008 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBull View Post
    OT a bit.

Once also at Taka food area, my wife and me were there during lunch and place was crowded. There was this table with 4 seats and 2 aunties eating. We approached them and asked if the seats were taken, they replied damn fast and emphatically, "YES!". So we hung around and eventually got our seats, ordered and finished our food and guess what, the 2 cunties were finishing their food and going off and no one took the two empty seats.

Hmm, maybe I should have went and tell the two selfish aunties off cos if I dun, am I being bullied by them then?
    Hahahaaha happened to me too by a young girl, many people here tend not to want to share things.......all for me me me me , and she was a young girl (about 18) :-(, imagine how she would become later

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    If the moral of the story is to speak up for what you believe in, I suppose that is fine. However, this local practice of reservation of seats with tissue paper and what not ought to stop. For those who use tissue paper, they can just be thrown away. For those stupid enough to reserve with bags or things of value, simply remove the item to another location and watch them panic.
    So how are you going to eat if there are no seats?, standing? It is just that those who reserve with tissues came in earlier than you lah!
    Last edited by hongsien; 21st January 2008 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    no i'm saying why didn't ts tell the expat that the seats were taken already instead of waiting for the expat to be an ass to say something.
    I guess it happened quite fast? Example, I'm just eating my stuff and someone comes along to just take the bags and put it on the floor, first impressions on my mind will be "is this his friend?" then just as he was thinking, the owner who was standing nearby spoke up. That's what I imagined it to be.

Anyway, by telling how uncool that was, was really cool
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

It does not matter, if it your are dealing with aunties or a foreigner. Who cares? If somebody is giving you bullshit, you should stand for what is right. And I agree with the fact that in Singapore (replace by what country you like) you do like the Singaporeans (replace by what nationality you like).

Now, me too, I love the free tissues everytime I go to the Food court. So nice of them ! Constant flow, never ends !
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

Quote Originally Posted by Loupisk View Post
    It does not matter, if it your are dealing with aunties or a foreigner. Who cares? If somebody is giving you bullshit, you should stand for what is right. And I agree with the fact that in Singapore (replace by what country you like) you do like the Singaporeans (replace by what nationality you like).

Now, me too, I love the free tissues everytime I go to the Food court. So nice of them ! Constant flow, never ends !
    just like le can

i can only say selfishness is in everyone's blood...regardless of race or nationality...
    this reminds me of my true experience few years back at koh samui :

the resort I stayed in was full of caucasians and I think me
    and my spouse were the only Asians. The resort's beach chairs were quite
    limited and those ang mohs always "choop" the beach chairs with their
    personal belongings (slippers, towels...etc) and then disappeared for days !!
    So those ppl who want to have some tanning and didnt manage to reserve
    the beach chairs will have to lie on the sand beach while those slippers and
    towels lie comfortably on the beach chairs.

Then the next day, we saw the same things laying on the same beach
    chairs again. Apparently the owners had left their personal belongings
    there overnight just to reserve the beach chairs.

On the third day, we really buay tahan liao when we saw those things still on
    the beach chairs, so we asked the resort staff to either collect those things
    from the beach chairs or provide us with more chairs. The resort staff bo pian
    have to collect and safe keep those things and let us have the beach chairs.
    Then when we were enjoying our sun tanning on the beach chairs, the
    owners of the slippers and towels finally decided to come out from their
    hibernation and confronted us "what are you doing on my beach chairs? "
    (yeah, they hv the cheek to say its "their" beach chairs, as if they owned it)
    We took a look at them but continued to lie there not moving cos too lazy
    to open our mouths to argue with these kind of ppl, so the rude couple have
    to LL walk away and I guess they went to complain to the resort staff.

So our way of "chooping" seats in the hawker centres by using a pack of
    tissue is really nothing compared to their way reserving beach chairs.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Hahahaaha happened to me too by a young girl, many people here tend not to want to share things.......all for me me me me , and she was a young girl (about 18) :-(, imagine how she would become later
    They become like those aunties mentioned
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

When I go to the food court, I leave my pregnant wife behind on the chair and go order.

So far, no one tried to remove her or take her away. Too heavy?
    Even if I do not agree with you, I will always fight for you to have your say.

vince123123
    Guests

If you're alone, you wait with your food. If you're with someone, then the someone can reserve the seat first. But any unattended tissue packets or belongings will be removed without prior notice to the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    So how are you going to eat if there are no seats?, standing? It is just that those who reserve with tissues came in earlier than you lah!

vince123123
    Guests

All I can say is that you did the right thing by removing the belongings

Quote Originally Posted by cookiez View Post
    i can only say selfishness is in everyone's blood...regardless of race or nationality...
    this reminds me of my true experience few years back at koh samui :

the resort I stayed in was full of caucasians and I think me
    and my spouse were the only Asians. The resort's beach chairs were quite
    limited and those ang mohs always "choop" the beach chairs with their
    personal belongings (slippers, towels...etc) and then disappeared for days !!
    So those ppl who want to have some tanning and didnt manage to reserve
    the beach chairs will have to lie on the sand beach while those slippers and
    towels lie comfortably on the beach chairs.

Then the next day, we saw the same things laying on the same beach
    chairs again. Apparently the owners had left their personal belongings
    there overnight just to reserve the beach chairs.

On the third day, we really buay tahan liao when we saw those things still on
    the beach chairs, so we asked the resort staff to either collect those things
    from the beach chairs or provide us with more chairs. The resort staff bo pian
    have to collect and safe keep those things and let us have the beach chairs.
    Then when we were enjoying our sun tanning on the beach chairs, the
    owners of the slippers and towels finally decided to come out from their
    hibernation and confronted us "what are you doing on my beach chairs? "
    (yeah, they hv the cheek to say its "their" beach chairs, as if they owned it)
    We took a look at them but continued to lie there not moving cos too lazy
    to open our mouths to argue with these kind of ppl, so the rude couple have
    to LL walk away and I guess they went to complain to the resort staff.

So our way of "chooping" seats in the hawker centres by using a pack of
    tissue is really nothing compared to their way reserving beach chairs.

removing other items like that when u know they are belonging to someone's else is just as rude.. no matter who you are.

vince123123
    Guests

Can you explain how can anyone ascertain whether the items belong to someone else, or whether they have been abandoned?

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    no la your case the chinese lady was just being a bitch who thought you got special treatment and never look at why you were allowed to go to the other q. what to do people anywhere are like that one. this one has nothing to do with expats wanting to outdo locals.
    Is it? Maybe I was just saying about expats saying "No you're not!"? Your guess! Its about THEIR attitude... not just outdoing locals... Can? Did I break any law in this so-called kopitiam forum?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by D100S View Post
    Is it? Maybe I was just saying about expats saying "No you're not!"? Your guess! Its about THEIR attitude... not just outdoing locals... Can? Did I break any law in this so-called kopitiam forum?

Thanks.
    wa you get so worked up for what? all i said was she was being bitchy in the way she acted. you react like you kena stab.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast