Thread: how to shoot a person with a big object

Default how to shoot a person with a big object

how to shoot a person with a big object at the back?

that day, it was quite cloudy, normally what do you set? ISO, exposure or ..

Thanks

Default Re: how to shoot a person with a big object

move that person on your left near to your lens loh.

Quote Originally Posted by longkangman View Post
    move that person on your left near to your lens loh.
    but what if the person is already very close to the lighthouse, and i can't capture the whole view of the lighthouse with the person.

Let's assume that the person might not want to walk near the lens due to laziness?

also straight light house is slanted..

Hmm then no choice lorz.

Unless...... u DI him in later on
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    but what if the person is already very close to the lighthouse, and i can't capture the whole view of the lighthouse with the person.

Let's assume that the person might not want to walk near the lens due to laziness?

like that do two shoots use the super impose or DI liao.

shoot from another perspective then.

change to wide angle lens, get to the person, lie down, shoot from below his face with lighthouse behind.

well... at least you can cover a bit of the lighthouse.

The slanting light house is a result of tilting the camera at an angle to include the whole subject, in effect trying to project the entire tilted tower on a flat sensor.
    You can try to correct it in PS

As for the person, if he does move nearer or u dun go closer, with a wide angle lens, he will be very tiny if u include the lighthouse lor. Cannot shrink the tower or magnify him either way ..

Ryan

Then you move backwards...

Give him the bo chup look and walk away.

some other methods you can consider..

#1, find a smaller light house
    #2, find a bigger person
    #3, take the wide shot first, zoom in the person and take another shot, do a cut and paste later.
    #4, use a fisheye lens, squat down right in front of the person and shoot from low angle upward, you can get both in the photo.

hope this help.

BTW, during the 70's, one trick which many people like to do in Chinese Garden, is to use a wide angle, with carefully composition, able do a shot make the pagoda look like is on a person hand.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by blurry80 View Post
    Give him the bo chup look and walk away.
    they are the one who sponsor me there.. can't do that to them...

any creative way to deal with this type of situation..

Super imposing will probably be the best. Or shoot from a distance of the big object with the person you want in the picture close to you. Example the lighthouse is 50 m away and the person you are taking is 3m from you. Using a small aperture and wide angle lens (like 20mm or less) you can make the lighthouse visible as a background while the person in front will be decently sharp and appear big while still looking natural.

Quote Originally Posted by zerartul View Post
    Super imposing will probably be the best. Or shoot from a distance of the big object with the person you want in the picture close to you. Example the lighthouse is 50 m away and the person you are taking is 3m from you. Using a small aperture and wide angle lens (like 20mm or less) you can make the lighthouse visible as a background while the person in front will be decently sharp and appear big while still looking natural.
    a constructive advice from zerartul.. thanks

1. Move the person further from the lighthouse.
    2. Use a wide-angle lens (17/18mm for DX or 28mm for FX)
    3. Shoot from a low angle. You might need to lay down on the grass.

In this case you may just forget it..... or change the person. Find a more willing person to be in your photo.

PP and PS aside, i can think of 3 ways. or at least this are the 3 things i would do.
    either 1 of them that is.

1. ask the person to move forward. if u are using flash as fill flash, it can only cover up to a certain distance frm the camera, so with the person closer to u, the flash can reach too.

2. shoot at the widest possible. and shoot from a lower angle.

3. if the above fails, u can always tilt the camera in such a way such that u utilise the frame diagonally to achieve max. height. more of a artistic shot too.

with PP/PS, u can try:

1. like what some suggested, superimpose.

2. shoot a series of photos, moving ur camera upwards to capture the person and the lighthouse. then stitch the photos together into a straight pano.

oh, regarding the slanted light house, its due to perspective distortion. since u r shooting upwards, the top of the tower looks slanted towards the top centre. if u position ur light house in the middle, it would look straight. hope u get my point.

or u can use PS to correct the distortion.
    Last edited by Fragnatic; 24th January 2008 at 04:21 PM.
    EOS 6D | GH4 | LX100 | HERO4

I thought I read somewhere that it's better just to take 2 nice shots rather than 1 shot where you try to fit 1 person in a big scene.

first shot of the lighthouse to show how big and nice it is. then go right up to the lighthouse, find a nice background to shoot the person against. maybe the doors or the stairs or whatever.

Then when people see, they will know ...'oh, this lighthouse. nice!'. Then next picture 'ah, is some guy in front of the light house.'

Since they are sponsoring you, it costs money right? Could try telling them that they're paying for nice pictures, and if they want nice pictures, they have to move. Otherwise they are wasting their time and money. Don't know how you're going to phrase it nicely though. Tact is not my strong point *cough* Maybe some other more tactful person can suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    some other methods you can consider..

#1, find a smaller light house
    This made me laugh! Best suggestion yet!