View Poll Results: What do we do with noobs?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Give them a Introduction-Day

10 33.33%
  • Do that at SEED

12 40.00%
  • let them be...

8 26.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: got noobs, how??

OT: i dont like SJI coz last time we whack them upside down+inside out all over the place coz we from RI. & nobody can beat us the ROYAL SONS

anyway its reasonable idea ah...just let the mod OR + admin OR + volunteer oldbird be the DI for the SEEDgroup of the day will do

Originally posted by espn
    Yep, agree with tofu, sounds good, oops. togu I mean

Originally posted by clive
    OT: i dont like SJI coz last time we whack them upside down+inside out all over the place coz we from RI. & nobody can beat us the ROYAL SONS

clive ==>

Ham&Eggs;

Good of you to speak out. I full agree with you. We'll be discussing it and hopefully, come up with something that would be logistically, as well as logically plausible...

Anyway, like Togu, when i went down to my first SEED, i felt like Togu, lost and didn't really get to speak to anyone. But AdamGoi & Bluestrike took time out to talk to me and to make me feel comfortable...

But then again, they weren't able to play chaperon to me for the whole SEED as they had their own obligations during SEED to fulfill. That basically sums up my own experience at my first SEED.

But the thing is, i went back again, and again, and again...and the rest is, as they say, history.

But i must say that Togu is right. Need to be abit less shy about going there and meeting up. None of us bite. This i promise you. If anyone does, i'll sic Larry, our resident genie on him/her/them.

As it is, when i do attend SEED, i make it a point to welcome the, as you would say, noobs, since i was one, not too long ago...

So, come down, don't be shy.
    --
    "High Wired, Dream Sired"

i have been to PP during 3 SEED meetings - i do not consider myself been to 3 SEEDS

first time - so crowed and there are different groups. collected the book on morroco from lavender and left.

second time - again so crowded, passed something to darren (i think) for larry (he was not there yet) and left.

third time - went with friend to collect his reflector. had dinner with him and left.

my observations (??) :
    a. crowded but people (i believe the more experienced ones) form cliques.
    b. different perties are busy doing their businesses (MO), hey, it is SEED !
    c. each showing off his/her new equipment, hey it is SEED. (but look at the buy and sell - i bought this 1 month ago and would like to sell it at XX because .........)
    d. unless you are thick skin (as togu pointed out), you would not be gel in.

do not think that SEED is a good place for the "objectives" as mentioned by green eggs and ham, i am sam.

i think what adam tried previously on the street photography with a PnS camera is a good idea. would be good if there are only 2-3 "oldies", else they would form cliques. the few oldies can lead the newbies.

i think that would be much beter than those JPB, Zoo, BG excursions for interaction and introduction to photography. the latter excursions would probably end up in a show case of lenses and equipment ....... and end up in newbies in a buy buy buy frenzy for something that they may not need or have little use.

just my 2 cents worth for sharing. no intention of starting any war ...

yup iceman

got to learn to be thick skinned. I too have felt lost at times when I go there & I see nobody familar. Either that or nothing to say lor.

Any 'noobs' can try to visit clubsnap irc server at galaxynet.

#clubsnap (Server: irc.singnet.com.sg)

You can then join in the chat we are having and probably know some names there. This is a much better alternative than chatting in forum.

Come on.. join us. Don't be shy
    Canon Lover :)

who from RI? who from SJI??

i from ACS...lol RI+SJI>>>

back to topic...yeah, newcomers have to be thick skinned a bit, and overall people should just freely ask arnd who's who...

one good example i felt was from dagger...she went arnd looking at stuff, talking to everyone...

well, for the "cliques" that formed, i guess it's only natural since they ARE discussing about their own stuff...

so tt's why i felt one day should be put aside specifically for people to concentrate on interaction...

sam
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
    www.theyummyphotographer.blogspot.com

Default Re: got noobs, how??

Originally posted by GreenEggs_n_Ham
    think it's time to speak my mind, altough i have to admit, that i'm new here and have no authority in terms of forum ownership.

however, i would like to point out to all noobs and mods and admins alike that there is a growing number of newbies abound here and a lot of them are intimidated by the sheer size of the older group, as well as the high-end EQ they use.

the aim of the forum, i believe is to introduce beginning photographers to the hobby and allow them to mix n interact with more-experienced photogs in order to learn and experience. what's the point then, when the new ones appear and say "woah,what a big clique. do i even belong here" and then exits out of the scene, never to be seen again.

the question i would like to ask is emphasis. Are the mods n admin's emphasis on this forum just plainly to be an online thing,where people post their own pictures? or this forum as a medium to "community development" for all photogs new or old alike?

or both?

i suggest that, with the growing popularity and maturity of this forum, the mods n admin should consider where this is headed. i hear of mr. adam goi talking about this forum having too much photography equipment, and not enough photography. and i fully agree. even i, am guilty of that. do the mods want newbies to come in, look look and walk away? or do they want to grab anyone new and help cultivate the photography hobby into their blood?

i got two suggestions pertaining to newbies>
    NID(noobs intro day)
    or SJI (senior junior interaction)

hee...hope all noobs agree with me
    (hopefully the mods too! if they think i'm not being a hassle since i'm asking them to take care of the noobs... )
    What's a noob?

evolution of the english word

new, beginner
    >>>
    newbie,
    >>>
    noob
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
    www.theyummyphotographer.blogspot.com

Talking

hmmm ......

me met pple frm CS 1zt on a JBP outing lazt december ..... met AG, BS. togu, Edmund, kindred n a few otherz .....

the 2nd time waz during the CS birthday bazh ...... met MORE pple .....

only attended my 1zt SEED after theze 2 eventz ...... by then me had already noe some pple liao ..... so when me reach the food court me can juzt join their group ......

to all new-comerz: be thick-skin ( read very very thick-skin ) the 1zt time u meet up with CS pple ..... n the subsequent meetingz will juzt flow like water .....

n dont hezitate to join any outingz organized by CS ..... it helpz .....

Last edited by FOOXX; 24th May 2003 at 09:21 PM.

Originally posted by GreenEggs_n_Ham
    evolution of the english word

new, beginner
    >>>
    newbie,
    >>>
    noob
    Oh! In that case, I would be one myself.

Have not attended SEED, as I feel the noobs like me will feel lost and out-of-place in the foodcourt (that's where they meet, right?) at Peninsular.

Deregistered

I've attended a couple of SEEDs, though I guess I'm still a newbie. Don't use SLR/DSLR, nor know whatever those elements or speed or aperture thingie talked about. Don't carry a Big big gun (those lenses) either... heee

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
    yup iceman

got to learn to be thick skinned. I too have felt lost at times when I go there & I see nobody familar. Either that or nothing to say lor.
    You must be kidding....

Most importantly is that you are comfortable with yourself taking pictures and as well as get used to your camera and equipment too. Some pple might not be used to a big group.
    As long as you think knowing a few others that you are comfortable with, just be yourself and do it.

Originally posted by togu
    I remember my very first seed, went down there at 5.30pm, approached the wrong group. Gotta keep walking around the food court, keep guessing, till I get it right. The very first few CS'pers I get to know should be jeffgoh, simon, daren, edmund, purpuruslos, and a few others, I think. (sorry if I miss out any names )

My very first seed was like a disaster, gotta find topic to chat, and at the same time try to get into their topic. Looks like a clown most of the time tho. Glad that the group are pretty er... talkative (esp Jeff). After a while, more and more pple came, and I gets to know more pple.

You just need a thick skin, that's all. And you'll slowly blend into a new world full of photography weirdos.

MAJOR !!!!!!!!!!! KOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TOGU JEFF

on a serious note,

For those newbies like your truly can always start your own outings thread and if u need guidance or help do post in the thread i believe most people here would b more than glad to help or to join in the outings. You dun need to have a special day or wat to have outings or shooting. Just go ahead create a thread and trust me people will join in if not go to the IRC channel there are always last min outing arranged there and u could just tag along. This would b a gd way to interact with fellow members here.

But of course if there is a cs outing then better tag along it does not matter wat gears or equipments u have as it has no relation to the basic fundamentals of photography. It is all abt photography and know more people here to make your stay more enjoyable.

Dun b too intimated by the pics posted here by the members cos 1 days u would b able to produce the same kind of results wat others are able to do.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Last edited by jeffgoh; 25th May 2003 at 05:18 PM.

Originally posted by Wolfgang
    But i must say that Togu is right. Need to be abit less shy about going there and meeting up. None of us bite. This i promise you. If anyone does, i'll sic Larry, our resident genie on him/her/them.
    hey why me kenah arrow again?

but then i agree with Wolfgang. my first SEED was a disaster too. i was a total stranger and didn't know anyone. and hard to believe but i'm quite shy one... so i just took a deep breath, looked for the group (thankfully i got the right one) and sat down, the rest, as they say, is history. my first outing was quite embarasssing too (the NDP fireworks shoot last year). didn't know anyone, only had ckiang's mobile with me, so i just appeared and then tried to chat up some people.

so i guess most of us knows what it feels like be a newcomer to a gathering. and i've always made it a point to ask first-timers to look for me (i'm serious about buying the kopi) if they need an introduction or a friendly face (i also promise i won't bite). i'm not a brilliant conversationalist, but i try my best.

so here's my idea - i'll set aside a table for first-timers to come and approach. i'll probably drag along the friendlier/chattier peeps (like Wolfgang, kekeke, or Bluestrike) to sit together. problem is i usually dun come until 6.30 or so, so mabbe someone can start off with it first. sounds like a plan?

First-timers to SEED, pls feel free to PM me your contacts, and i'll send you my mobile number. we'll all sit together @ SEED and i will buy you kopi (or bangdung, hahaha) - one-time offer only!!!

Originally posted by Larry

but then i agree with Wolfgang. my first SEED was a disaster too. i was a total stranger and didn't know anyone. and hard to believe but i'm quite shy one... so i just took a deep breath, looked for the group (thankfully i got the right one) and sat down, the rest, as they say, is history. my first outing was quite embarasssing too (the NDP fireworks shoot last year). didn't know anyone, only had ckiang's mobile with me, so i just appeared and then tried to chat up some people.

so i guess most of us knows what it feels like be a newcomer to a gathering. and i've always made it a point to ask first-timers to look for me (i'm serious about buying the kopi) if they need an introduction or a friendly face (i also promise i won't bite). i'm not a brilliant conversationalist, but i try my best.

so here's my idea - i'll set aside a table for first-timers to come and approach. i'll probably drag along the friendlier/chattier peeps (like Wolfgang, kekeke, or Bluestrike) to sit together. problem is i usually dun come until 6.30 or so, so mabbe someone can start off with it first. sounds like a plan?

First-timers to SEED, pls feel free to PM me your contacts, and i'll send you my mobile number. we'll all sit together @ SEED and i will buy you kopi (or bangdung, hahaha) - one-time offer only!!!
    How come last time u neber buy me kopi
    So now u must buy me Beeru!!

/me runs and hide
    Last edited by jeffgoh; 25th May 2003 at 05:20 PM.

Originally posted by Larry

I just sent you my mobile number.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast