Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quad Core vs Duo Core Processor

Default Re: Quad Core vs Duo Core Processor

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    well, like the adobe article says, the extra RAM is used as extra buffer before harddrive scratch is used... maybe its because in my previous DI work I had to handle huge files, but I think this extra buffer is going to speed up photoshop quite abit... as well, the other programs running in the background (like antivirus, firewall, etc.) would also have more RAM to play with...

I don't know if the E8xxx series in Singapore yet... might have to wait awhile cause they are pretty new... can ask Storage Studio or Cybermind in Sim Lim...
    The Adobe article did specify using a 64-bit processor with Windows XP x64 Edition, otherwise the extra RAM won't help much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Shotter View Post
    E8400(New one) already arrive,forget about E6850.I reccomend to go Quad Core,it is more future proof.All you need is just some overclock,quad can go 3ghz on stock cooler,good hsf can go 3.6ghz.Multithread program is becoming more and more common so quad core is the way to go if you can afford it.For me,i choose E8400 since it is cheaper and i want to do some 9's super pi.
    If im not mistaken, Intel doesn't guarantee the longevity of the processor if it is configured to go beyond the rated clockspeed. And, I think that the clockspeed overide is only available on quad extreme. A more powerful cooling system will also draw more power and make more noise.
    Last edited by Martin Ywain; 19th January 2008 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ywain View Post
    If im not mistaken, Intel doesn't guarantee the longevity of the processor if it is configured to go beyond the rated clockspeed. And, I think that the clockspeed overide is only available on quad extreme. A more powerful cooling system will also draw more power and make more noise.
    Not only Intel....all manufacturer will void their warranty if user tried to tamper with their specification.....however the successful and safety rates of overclocking have long been documented in the enthusiam community so the probability of killing the products are rather rare if one know what he is doing.....of coz there is no free lunch in this world, so no risk no gain......Otherwise any Tom Dick and Harry will buy a slow processor and run it at high speed and the CPU maker will not be able to earn more from their so call high end chip

I don't understand what you mean by "clockspeed overide is only available on quad extreme"

"A more powerful cooling system will also draw more power and make more noise"
    Yes and no. The power drawn are quite negligible if you have a proper PSU, if the cooler is properly tuned.....it might run quiter than the stock fan unit....but people who wanted to overclock with air cooling.....noise normally come last.....alternatively they will opt for water cooling liao

Simple analogy.

If have $$$$$$, go for the quad core. No money, just stick to whatever you can afford according to your budget.

If you know how to configure with the XP64bit with your Quad Core 6600, you will see the true power in some of your programs that you are running.

I am using a 2 X Quad Core with 8GB of RAMs. Although photoshop is tune to only 3GB of RAM usage, you will see a significant faster respond than a Core2 Duo.

Oh, don't forget HDD is fairly important as well. A Raptor or a SAS will help as well.

Go for at least PC800 RAMs. They're still exp esp for the 2GB pieces, but worth every penny. If you don't use fast RAMs it becomes the bottleneck for duo/quad core anyway. Don't mind me, in case you weren't aware already.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    I don't understand what you mean by "clockspeed overide is only available on quad extreme"
    Don't remember liao. I read that the clockspeed governor can be "removed" on a quad extreme but not a quad. I guess it just means a novice overclocking job option. Tampering with the BIOS and other settings are mindboggling anyway.

Hmm.. but if you're really interested in overclocking [sorry, digression] check this out [happens to be about a Q6600 overclocking job] : http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t261409.html

It also teaches you how to make your BIOS "see" more than 4gb of RAM.

One of the funkier things will be to sandpaper your processor and heatsink flat. Hehs =) I feel tempted to play with my retired 1.8 GHz Pentium 4... sadly, the video card is dead and it can't load. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Don't remember liao. I read that the clockspeed governor can be "removed" on a quad extreme but not a quad. I guess it just means a novice overclocking job option. Tampering with the BIOS and other settings are mindboggling anyway.

Hmm.. but if you're really interested in overclocking [sorry, digression] check this out [happens to be about a Q6600 overclocking job] : http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t261409.html

It also teaches you how to make your BIOS "see" more than 4gb of RAM.

One of the funkier things will be to sandpaper your processor and heatsink flat. Hehs =) I feel tempted to play with my retired 1.8 GHz Pentium 4... sadly, the video card is dead and it can't load. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    The Adobe article did specify using a 64-bit processor with Windows XP x64 Edition, otherwise the extra RAM won't help much.
    well, if the OS used is 32bit, then the computer wouldn't be able to use any RAM over 4GB anyway right... so its sort of implicitly assumed that if TS were to get 8GB, would have to use 64bit OS...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ywain View Post
    And, I think that the clockspeed overide is only available on quad extreme.
    that would be the case if overclocking were done by increasing the clock speed directly... for recent chips only the Extreme (AMD) processors have unlocked clockrate... but overclocking can also be done by changing the processors clock multiplier, which would increase the processor speed as well... of course YMMV

So far overclock 5 systems,not even blew one thing.And,the extreme processor have unlock multiplier.Normal processor,we increase Front Side Bus.When overclocking,board,luck become important stuff.E8400 is avalible in malaysia but not sure about Singapore.

Let's see...

E6750 2.66ghz FSB1333 --S$300
    OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333MHz / Gold Edition 2GB Kit (2x1GB) -- $800
    Asustek EAH3870 512MB GDDR4 PCIE + Games x2 -- $379x2
    Asustek P5K-E-Wifi LGA 775 Motherboard -- $260
    CPU Cooler Full copper -- $65
    Casing -- $200
    Cooler Master RS-850-ESBA Real Power M850 -- $330
    WDC Raptor SATA 3.5inh 150GB 10K RPM 8MB HD -- $400 Primary System HD
    Seagate SATA-II Barracuda 7200.11 3.5inh 500GB 7200RPM 32MB HD $200 Secondary HD for storage.
    +-$3300

The speed limitation is not the cpu itself.. the bottle neck usually is the HD and RAM,
    As you can see the ratio of FSB to RAM is 1 to 1, the FSB ratio to CPU speed is 2 to 1, having high quality RAM indeed help a lots, that's why the choice of HD is 10.000 RPM.

I'll say the downside is the OS cant fully take advantage on the Hardware...
    Last edited by erizai; 20th January 2008 at 10:58 PM.

Might as well get a 8cores Mac, better value and spec...

CPU 3.2ghz..
    FSB1600 (Ratio 2:1 to CPU)
    FB DDR2 800mhz x2gb (Ratio 2:1 to FSB)(expandable to 32gb)
    PSU 1000

+-4000 only

Can run PC and Mac some more.

Better Casing
    Better graphic
    Better cores handling (application)
    Better OS
    Better CMS
    One System for both world (PC too)
    future proof

Dell 490 Precision Workstation
    2 X Quad Core Intel Xeon E5335 (2.0Ghz) with XP 64bit
    8GB (4 x 2GB) 667MhzECC Quad Channel DDR2 Fully Buffered Memory.
    2 SATA HDD 73GB 15k RPM with RAID 0 configuration.
    2 X DVD (Internal)
    Asus ATI X1950 Radeon XFX

All together $3,500

Don't forget for TS, buy a computer with at least a 3-5 years warranty. Mine is a 5 years fully warranty on all parts. So if any of your parts dies on the 3rd year, DELL will replace either on site for you free of charge (Labour is also free). There is a telephony service to assist you from 9am-6pm from Monday to Friday.

This is how my rig looks like. (The below image is link from Dell website which looks exactly the same)
    Last edited by Godzilla Invades; 20th January 2008 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by erizai View Post

CPU 3.2ghz..
    PSU 1000

+-4000 only

Better Casing
    Better graphic
    Better OS
    Better CMS
    future proof
    Exactly which model are you referring to?

Let's see...

E6750 2.66ghz FSB1333 --S$300
    OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 / 1333MHz / Gold Edition 2GB Kit (2x1GB) -- $800
    Asustek EAH3870 512MB GDDR4 PCIE + Games x2 -- $379x2
    Asustek P5K-E-Wifi LGA 775 Motherboard -- $260
    CPU Cooler Full copper -- $65
    Casing -- $200
    Cooler Master RS-850-ESBA Real Power M850 -- $330
    WDC Raptor SATA 3.5inh 150GB 10K RPM 8MB HD -- $400 Primary System HD
    Seagate SATA-II Barracuda 7200.11 3.5inh 500GB 7200RPM 32MB HD $200 Secondary HD for storage.
    +-$3300

The speed limitation is not the cpu itself.. the bottle neck usually is the HD and RAM,
    As you can see the ratio of FSB to RAM is 1 to 1, the FSB ratio to CPU speed is 2 to 1, having high quality RAM indeed help a lots, that's why the choice of HD is 10.000 RPM.

I'll say the downside is the OS cant fully take advantage on the Hardware...
    Why will you need two graphic cards for PP?

Quote Originally Posted by David Chin View Post
    Exactly which model are you referring to?
    There is only ONE model. It's the MacPro.

And it's not $4,000 plus only. That is the based price for a 2.8ghz.

The 3.2ghz will set aside another $3,531 which will by then will be $7,531.

For $7,000 plus you can buy a nearly top of the line PC with 8GB of RAMs.

Forget about the Mac system for now.

Why will you need two graphic cards for PP?
    Sometimes having 2 graphics cards is good. Although is mainly use for gamers or 3D rendering, it will help to load up graphics a tad quicker.

Not necessary but you can opt that out.

CPU 3.2ghz..
    PSU 1000

+-4000 only

Better Casing
    Better graphic
    Better OS
    Better CMS
    future proof
    Eh, 3.2Ghz models cost more than $7,000 lei.

Load out all the options and see for yourself the final price for the macpro.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    There is only ONE model. It's the MacPro.

And it's not $4,000 plus only. That is the based price for a 2.8ghz.

The 3.2ghz will set aside another $3,531 which will by then will be $7,531.

For $7,000 plus you can buy a nearly top of the line PC with 8GB of RAMs.

Forget about the Mac system for now.
    Perhaps I got it wrong. What I meant was which particular configuration as the MacPro comes with so many processor options.

I would be tempted to migrate to MacPro as Windows Vista/XP gives so much problem unlike the Apple OS that I understand from many users is so much more robust and stable. The main consideration is how am I going to use my Windows version of Photoshop etc. on the MacPro. I know it can now run Windows as well but is there any benefit?

Perhaps I got it wrong. What I meant was which particular configuration as the MacPro comes with so many processor options.

I would be tempted to migrate to MacPro as Windows Vista/XP gives so much problem unlike the Apple OS that I understand from many users is so much more robust and stable. The main consideration is how am I going to use my Windows version of Photoshop etc. on the MacPro. I know it can now run Windows as well but is there any benefit?
    The base configuration of Quad 2.88ghz is more than powerful enough.

You'll need to buy a version of Photoshop for Mac. I don't know if Adobe allows you to convert your Win version to Mac version or not. You might have to call up and check.

Benefit? Save TIME from troubleshooting. Anything wrong it's always the hardware. For PC, it can be hard/software.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast