Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Internet Speed

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Internet Speed

    Hi all,
    Do you think local internet speed is really slow compare to Japan?
    Is it worth paying for that kind of accessing speed?
    Do feel free to share your experience here & peace.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    i think its slow compared to other like u mentioned.
    no doubt they claim so and so speeds, but the speed often drop to a crawl,
    which probably caused a lot of users to complain. Although its not on a daily
    basis.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  3. #3

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    it also depends on the back end servers, cannot everything blame it on isp..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    sbs, dont spam leh . wa liew....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    compared to Japan, singapore is worst then crawling. I can transfer a full dvd of data to my friend with their network within an hour. here, faster to burn the DVD and pass to them.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    Malaysia even worst.Only like 30kb!Take 2~3days to download a movie.

  7. #7
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    Hi all,
    Do you think local internet speed is really slow compare to Japan?
    Is it worth paying for that kind of accessing speed?
    Do feel free to share your experience here & peace.
    Dependant on a number of factors
    But yes,generally overall speed here is lower than theirs.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    i blame the population density and all the nerds play WOW and CS.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    if their arcade games can go online, and with excellent speed, it says a lot about their infrastructure. Here is seriously lacking.

  10. #10
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    They might actually have more cables running below the sea as compared to ours.
    Also,if we're talking about gamers,most would stick to the cable modem instead of wireless as wireless are prone to lose of signal and interferences.
    just my take.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    I also heard that local accessing need to pass through Japan in order to link to the rest of the world. Is that so?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    I also heard that local accessing need to pass through Japan in order to link to the rest of the world. Is that so?
    Depends on where you want your data to go.. If you want your data to go to Malaysia, no need to go jap first..

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by GavinTing View Post
    Depends on where you want your data to go.. If you want your data to go to Malaysia, no need to go jap first..
    Okie dokie bro.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Astin Studio
    Posts
    4,736

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    I go Hong Kong frequently, and find Hong Kong is so much faster in internet speed than in Singapore, not sure why.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    I go Hong Kong frequently, and find Hong Kong is so much faster in internet speed than in Singapore, not sure why.
    Besides Hong Kong, Macau also has relatively faster internet connection than Singapore.

    But one question, how much do Hong Kongers pay for a 6000kbps unlimited per month?

    I am paying around SGD$60.00 for the speed I mention above.

    In Malaysia, for a 2000kbps, you need to pay about MYR$188.00 per month unlimited usage. That is the fastest speed for consumer usage. It's called Streamyx.

    As mentioned above, I think there are just too many users in a dense population. Each time when I power up my laptop or desktop, I could easily detect at least 10-15 wireless users.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    Ok, a few misconceptions here.

    Bandwidth: There's a huge difference between local bandwidth (content within Singapore), and International bandwidth (content out of Singapore). Local bandwidth is orders of magnitude cheaper than International bandwidth.

    Content: Singapore's local content is pure sh*t compared to the amount and quality of local content that countries like Japan and Korea. As a result, our usage pattern focuses on International content placing a high usage on International bandwidth. In other words, we're paying more for International bandwidth, than say our counterparts in Korea/Japan.

    Speed (or perceived speed): Let's put it this way. Even if the local ISPs come up with 1Gbps FTTH (Fiber To The Home) access, your "perceived speed" won't change much. Why? Because the total International bandwidth out of Singapore is finite and limited. So what if you have big-a$$ access fiber to your ISP, when your ISP only has a few Gbps of bandwidth peering with Tier-1 backbones??

    Density: Agreed. Someone staying in a HDB block chock full of bit torrent happy kids will surf at a snail's pace compared to another person staying in a block largely with older folks. This has to do with the manner in which your ISP aggregates bandwidth from your neighborhood to the central office.

    Bottomline: Want faster access bandwidth? Don't want to pay more? Sure! But first get off your lazy butt and start creating compelling, kick-a$$ local content!!! It takes time. We don't have the population mass of Korea/Japan. And for that reason, we'll always be behind them as far as bandwidth/price/performance is concerned.

    The Future: The Gaming industry (not your kiddie MMORPGs, but the multi-billion $$$ gambling) is making in-roads slowly but surely. If the cards are played well (no pun intended), more International peering partners will want to have better bandwidth into Singapore, which in turn makes our access cost cheaper. See the economics?

    Hope this clears up a little.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    sad to say... local servers & hosting ain't cheap to start with... and what for make contents and provider pay while user leech... and in the end pay more for extra bandwidth used...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post

    The Future: The Gaming industry (not your kiddie MMORPGs, but the multi-billion $$$ gambling) is making in-roads slowly but surely. If the cards are played well (no pun intended), more International peering partners will want to have better bandwidth into Singapore, which in turn makes our access cost cheaper. See the economics?

    Hope this clears up a little.
    Sad but true future.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    Ok, a few misconceptions here.

    Bandwidth: There's a huge difference between local bandwidth (content within Singapore), and International bandwidth (content out of Singapore). Local bandwidth is orders of magnitude cheaper than International bandwidth.

    Content: Singapore's local content is pure sh*t compared to the amount and quality of local content that countries like Japan and Korea. As a result, our usage pattern focuses on International content placing a high usage on International bandwidth. In other words, we're paying more for International bandwidth, than say our counterparts in Korea/Japan.

    Speed (or perceived speed): Let's put it this way. Even if the local ISPs come up with 1Gbps FTTH (Fiber To The Home) access, your "perceived speed" won't change much. Why? Because the total International bandwidth out of Singapore is finite and limited. So what if you have big-a$$ access fiber to your ISP, when your ISP only has a few Gbps of bandwidth peering with Tier-1 backbones??

    Density: Agreed. Someone staying in a HDB block chock full of bit torrent happy kids will surf at a snail's pace compared to another person staying in a block largely with older folks. This has to do with the manner in which your ISP aggregates bandwidth from your neighborhood to the central office.

    Bottomline: Want faster access bandwidth? Don't want to pay more? Sure! But first get off your lazy butt and start creating compelling, kick-a$$ local content!!! It takes time. We don't have the population mass of Korea/Japan. And for that reason, we'll always be behind them as far as bandwidth/price/performance is concerned.

    The Future: The Gaming industry (not your kiddie MMORPGs, but the multi-billion $$$ gambling) is making in-roads slowly but surely. If the cards are played well (no pun intended), more International peering partners will want to have better bandwidth into Singapore, which in turn makes our access cost cheaper. See the economics?

    Hope this clears up a little.
    Thanks for that. Good to learn something new each day from the good old Clubsnap.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Internet Speed

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Thanks for that. Good to learn something new each day from the good old Clubsnap.
    Yup! And Clubsnap is '.com' now. No more '.org'.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •