Thread: Ballheads ballheads...

Default Ballheads ballheads...

Hi all, I just got myself the GT1540. Thats 50% of my problem settled. The other 50% is in looking for an appropriate ballhead to go along with it.
    I'm not looking into those that can hold 20kg of load. Maybe just up to 4 to 6 kg is good enough for me.
    Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (max $200) ballhead that suits my requirement please? Also, quick release plate is a must. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 17th January 2008 at 09:47 PM.
    Canon EOS 6D|EF 24-70 F4L IS USM|EF 70-200 F4L IS USM|EX 580II

Default Re: Ballheads ballheads...

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Hi all, I just got myself the GT1540. Thats 50% of my problem settled. The other 50% is in looking for an appropriate ballhead to go along with it.
    I'm not looking into those that can hold 20kg of load. Maybe just up to 4 to 6 kg is good enough for me.
    Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (max $250) ballhead that suits my requirement please? Thank you very much.
    Hmmm... if you don't mind second-hand, I can sell you my Kirk BH-3 at around that price (or lower).

http://www.kirkphoto.com/ballheadbh3.html

http://www.naturephotographers.net/je0202-1.html
    Last edited by Hitman; 17th January 2008 at 09:21 PM.
    Pictures always should have a special story behind it or a special meaning to the photographer.

Do quote an asking price please. How heavy is it anyway?

You may also try manfrotto 486rc2 or 488rc2. These are quite popular

Blog Entries

please do not do transaction here

For budget $200, i second Manfrotto 488RC2 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (max $200) ballhead that suits my requirement please? Also, quick release plate is a must. Thank you very much.
    Fellow Series 1 owner here, GT1530

I use a Markins Q3 ballhead on it, but it is a bit out of your price range. Previously I have been very happy with the Benro series of ballheads.

I'm recommending Benro because an advanced user such as yourself would probably like to use the Arca-compatible quick release plates instead of a proprietary system. Thing is, there are so many accessories for the Arca-type system that will grow with you as your needs change. When you are ready to trade up, your accessories can stay with you.

Note that I am saying Arca-compatible. You don't have to buy a real Arca-Swiss ballhead. Benro is one example of those who make Arca-compatible equipment. I had a KS-1, although in hindsight I would have preferred the KJ-1 since it has only one locking knob. When I upgraded to my Markins Q3, I kept all my quick release plates and accessories instead of having to change them to a new manufacturer's system.

Thanx sloth. I was looking at the Markins Q3 too. It certainly compliments the GT1540. But then again, the price is abit out of range for now. Could be in the pipeline foe the near future though. I'll definitely be looking at Arca- compatible types especially for the QR for now.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Problem solved. Got myself a Gitzo ballhead to complement the GT1540.