Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of clothe to wipe the lens?

Default Re: What kind of clothe to wipe the lens?

Thanks for the replies people! They're really helpful except for the one using t-shirt to clean! haha

i use a microfiber cleaning cloth or if there are stains i would use lens paper together with the solution to have it cleaned
    D800 | D700|16mm f2.8D|35 f1.4G|50 f1.8G|60mm F2.8D|85mm f1.4G|16-35 f4G|70-200 f2.8 VR2| SB900

the yellow lens cloth from TK foto, cleans my LCD, my glasses and my lenses. Removes oily stains nicely too.

up this thread, is the cloth comes with spectacles is okay to use for cleaning lens? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    up this thread, is the cloth comes with spectacles is okay to use for cleaning lens? thanks.
    i prefer the microfibre provided by oakley.. i have had some 'microfibre' cloth provided by the canon cleaning kit.. it leaves lint/fluff around..

other then that, i use the microfibre CD/DVD cleaning cloth, bought at challenger..
    Canonite
    Disciple of the Canonical Order

i use lens pen only...

personally i feel the oakley microfibre is pretty good quality and works great. just that cos it's a specs pouch it's a bit too small.

there's this spudz camera cloth that's 10" square and fits into a small neoprene pouch.. i'd like to get one but i haven't seen it on sale anywhere in singapore...

Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    i use lens pen only...
    Does the lens pen get dirty or trap dust?? if so how to clean? or need to get it replace..

worry if it does trap dust, it might scratch the lens if continue to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by danielskl View Post
    Does the lens pen get dirty or trap dust?? if so how to clean? or need to get it replace..

worry if it does trap dust, it might scratch the lens if continue to use it.
    Where can i get lens pen? got a pic or it?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydenation View Post
    Thanks for the replies people! They're really helpful except for the one using t-shirt to clean! haha
    I've been using old handkerchiefs to clean lenses for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by redavalon2359 View Post
    Where can i get lens pen? got a pic or it?
    Check out their web page...

http://www.lenspen.com/
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

sorry to hijack this thread... so how abt dust that stuck in the ccd or so call mirror internally?wat do u guys use to clean ?I tried blowing with the blower but the dust still remains....

Quote Originally Posted by undergrd View Post
    sorry to hijack this thread... so how abt dust that stuck in the ccd or so call mirror internally?wat do u guys use to clean ?I tried blowing with the blower but the dust still remains....
    There are stuff that you can find to clean the CCD, but for me personally, I'd rather send it into the service centre if I can blow it off with a blower... dun want to damage the CCD/CMOS.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

are lens tissue advisable? and are they expensive?

Hi folks

For cloth, do not use any cloth you can grab to wipe on an expensive glass element. it can induce micro marring.

A rough grade micro fibre cloth can induce major scratches and these are usually available for wiping cars. (eg meguire micro fibre cloth).

The best fluid to use it water and not alcohol. The best cloth to use is a soft lint free and ultra fine micro fibre cloth. I believe cathay has some form of disposable cleaning synthetic fabric to replace lens tissue. Its made of cloth and cost over $10 a pack. But this cloth tissue does not give the best wipe to remove oil stains from finger print.

The best experience i have is using a soft leather cloth which can last for years. I bought it used and still using it happily. Its from india and the importer does not have any more stock as he cant justify a large shipment... hehe

I had gone thru some findings for the above conclusion and i do keep a wide collection of micro fibre cloth for different applications. Most mf cloth comes from China and some are from Korea. Also, micro fibre cloth is sensitive to chemicals and extreme heat. its better not to wash it if one does not know how to clean the mf cloth.

Ironically, on a shoot, i use anything that wipes the lens filter. That is one reason i bought Hoya for certain rugged applications. I use can use a tissue paper to wipe and its still fine.

Hence, it is good to protect the front element with a lens filter. At least, if the cleaning goes wrong, the damage is still not on the lens.

TK Foto brought in a certain type of cleaning cloth and I find it very useful. Cleans off the smudges and dust easily without leaving much lint and stuff. Should give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by LENS View Post
    Also lint free microfibre cloth.

Microfibre cloth or use some alchohol .
    these can be found at most photo shops or eyewear shops

is alcohol solution okay to lens? what solution u recommend? pure water can do?

solution for cleaning contact lense ok?

another noob question.

for lens tissue do we use the rough or smooth side??

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast