Thread: File sizes and dimensions

Default File sizes and dimensions

Hi - newbie who upgraded from bridge camera to Canon 40D. Am having a lot of fun shooting in RAW.

I like to convert all my photos to JPEG after post-processing to view on the PC and also print some out as photos. My photos shouldn't go more than 10R (but mostly 5R).

My question is what is the conversion parameters that you use to convert from RAW to JPEG? I'm using DPP, and the parameters are

(1) Image Quality
    (2) Output resolution
    (3) Resize

I read that resolution should be 300DPI, but I'm not sure what IQ and size is good for viewing on the PC + printing out (up to 10R). My concern would also be file size because if they are >10MB per file + keeping the original RAW file, I'm going to run out of HDD space quickly...

My second question has to do with dimensions. I believe that the 40D shoots in 3:2 format, but for printing, its different depending on which "R" you use. What do you do to prepare the files to be in the right format for printing?

Would appreciate comments from the lao qiaos.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by hantsung; 16th January 2008 at 04:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: File sizes and dimensions

Quote Originally Posted by hantsung View Post
    Hi - newbie who upgraded from bridge camera to Canon 40D. Am having a lot of fun shooting in RAW.

I like to convert all my photos to JPEG after post-processing to view on the PC and also print some out as photos. My photos shouldn't go more than 10R (but mostly 5R).

My question is what is the conversion parameters that you use to convert from RAW to JPEG? I'm using DPP, and the parameters are

(1) Image Quality
    (2) Output resolution
    (3) Resize

I read that resolution should be 300DPI, but I'm not sure what IQ and size is good for viewing on the PC + printing out (up to 10R). My concern would also be file size because if they are >10MB per file + keeping the original RAW file, I'm going to run out of HDD space quickly...

My second question has to do with dimensions. I believe that the 40D shoots in 3:2 format, but for printing, its different depending on which "R" you use. What do you do to prepare the files to be in the right format for printing?

Would appreciate comments from the lao qiaos.

Thanks in advance.
    1. keep your images offline (CD, DVD, Ext HDD, Tape, Blue Ray ... ...)
    2. good for screen viewing? use the resolution of your monitor for full screen image, resolution does not matter here.
    3. for printing just crop to the physical size @ 300dpi
    4. keep the screen view files on your computer and keep the printing files together with the RAW files offline

Thanks Ortega.

How much Image Quality should I use - 10 is the max and 1 is the min. What's good enough for printing out or is that just the 300dpi as the critical parameter?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hantsung View Post
    Thanks Ortega.

How much Image Quality should I use - 10 is the max and 1 is the min. What's good enough for printing out or is that just the 300dpi as the critical parameter?
    if you are talking about jpeg compression for files always use the max quality
    because the more you compress the file the more data you lose

try it out and see for yourself.

original file - save max quality - filename_10.jpg
    save as - medium quality - filename_5.jpg
    save as - low quality - filename_1.jpg

then open and view side by side

So des nei! Thanks for that.