Thread: LCDS and Spyder2express

Default LCDS and Spyder2express

Im considering going into desktop editing as currently im using laptop. Do I have to set my new LCD to 100% brightness for the spyder2express calibration work or set everything to default?

Im worried more on the exposure part when editing in future.
    Last edited by iboey; 16th January 2008 at 12:10 AM.
    Having expensive gears do not make you a better photographer. Period.

Default Re: LCDS and Spyder2express

I think the recommendation by datacolor is to set to default

thats the problem...coz every monitor brightness is different even though set to default or it dosent matter at all?

Hi,

LCD monitors are usually way too bright at default settings. The recommended brightness or luminance is around 100cd/m2, gamma 2.2. This is a good starting point.

With the monitor I am using, I have to reduce the brightness control to 11% to achieve 100cd/m2. I am using the Spyder 2Pro, part of the Printfix Pro Suite 2.0.

N.S. Ng

Quote Originally Posted by nsng View Post
    Hi,

LCD monitors are usually way too bright at default settings. The recommended brightness or luminance is around 100cd/m2, gamma 2.2. This is a good starting point.

With the monitor I am using, I have to reduce the brightness control to 11% to achieve 100cd/m2. I am using the Spyder 2Pro, part of the Printfix Pro Suite 2.0.

N.S. Ng

How do you measure the 100cd/m2??
    Jerfotography Nikon D300
    Power by iMac MBP iPhone 6+ iPad Air

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    How do you measure the 100cd/m2??
    During the profiling process, the Spyder 2Pro, will measure the white luminance of the LCD monitor and display the value. I then adjust the brightness control on my monitor and check the value again.

The 100cd/m2, I am using is based on my room lighting condition. I keep the lighting very dim.

N.S. Ng

http://nns555.zenfolio.com/

I was a user of Spyder 2 express for quite a while, and realized that the default settings recommended by Datacolor/Colorvision is way too bright. If I am not wrong, it was around 160 cdm on my LCD, which is far too high.

The brightness should not exceed 120 cdm, and I personally prefer between 100 ~ 110 cdm. I recommend that you get a software update from Express to Spyder 2 Pro, which I think Cathay Photo is offering. Alternatively, get the Eye One Display 2, or Spyder 3 which allows greater control during calibration.

Calibration is not just about color accuracy alone, having the correct level of brightness is equally important as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Visuals View Post
    I was a user of Spyder 2 express for quite a while, and realized that the default settings recommended by Datacolor/Colorvision is way too bright. If I am not wrong, it was around 160 cdm on my LCD, which is far too high.

The brightness should not exceed 120 cdm, and I personally prefer between 100 ~ 110 cdm. I recommend that you get a software update from Express to Spyder 2 Pro, which I think Cathay Photo is offering. Alternatively, get the Eye One Display 2, or Spyder 3 which allows greater control during calibration.

Calibration is not just about color accuracy alone, having the correct level of brightness is equally important as well.

Thanks
    Upgrading from express to 2pro just software alone? how abt the colorimeter? For me the concern now is getting the right level of brightness.

According to Cathay Photo, the price for the software upgrade is $155.
    The upgraded software will allow you to calibrate the brightness to the desired level.

According to Cathay Photo, the price for the software upgrade is $155. You can use back your current hardware. Call them for confirmation.

The upgraded software will allow you to calibrate the brightness to the desired level.

Quote Originally Posted by iboey View Post
    thats the problem...coz every monitor brightness is different even though set to default or it dosent matter at all?
    when they say default, Datacolor means the default that the monitor manufacturer sets... usually there is an option in the monitor controls that allows you to reset to its default setting

and yes, the various versions of Spyder 2 like Express, Pro, Plus, all use the same hardware... its the software that's different... you can even use 3rd party software like ColorEyes Display Pro
    Last edited by theRBK; 18th January 2008 at 02:00 PM.