Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advises whether to bring DSLR to Bangkok?

Default Re: Advises whether to bring DSLR to Bangkok?

Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    More likely you will encounter a taxi driver who won't turn on this meter than a pickpocket!
    Actually, I'm was also pleasantly surprised that most taxi drivers there charge you fairly using the meter, and what I've read about choosing some taxi company (by basis of their cabs' colour scheme) over another, is hogwash. Tuk-tuks notwithstanding.

..and oh, don't worry too much about carry a DSLR around. You'll notice, especially during peak tourist seasons, there are darned a lot of people carrying DSLRs and/or equally expensive camcorders around too. Just don't wander into deserted places or try to photograph the sex workers (without their permission). It'll be quite sad if you can only use or dare to bring out your DSLR in oh-so-small Singapore.

iam also going to bangkok during cny and bringing my dslr along too , dun think there is a problem with it wat date u are going anyway ?
    Nikon D600 / D750

Quote Originally Posted by noob sniper View Post
    iam also going to bangkok during cny and bringing my dslr along too , dun think there is a problem with it wat date u are going anyway ?
    HEY! SO QIAO

ima going from 4th to 8th feb.
    U GOING THR TOO?!
    ima bringing along.
    just gonna be streetsmart, since i got a very. streetsmart uncle who haf friends in bkk.
    well, which date ya going?

ima bringing and ima showing all this forums to ma parents.
    they are paranoid about me bringing dslr.
    but ima insisting on bringing, since dslr are meant to snapped, all around the world ^^

CORRECT?
    ima glad and appreciative of all the replies!
    thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by cjtune View Post
    Actually, I'm was also pleasantly surprised that most taxi drivers there charge you fairly using the meter, and what I've read about choosing some taxi company (by basis of their cabs' colour scheme) over another, is hogwash. Tuk-tuks notwithstanding.

..and oh, don't worry too much about carry a DSLR around. You'll notice, especially during peak tourist seasons, there are darned a lot of people carrying DSLRs and/or equally expensive camcorders around too. Just don't wander into deserted places or try to photograph the sex workers (without their permission). It'll be quite sad if you can only use or dare to bring out your DSLR in oh-so-small Singapore.
    NOTED.

i like wot u type ; It'll be quite sad if you can only use or dare to bring out your DSLR in oh-so-small Singapore. YEA, SPORE is small -.- and .. kinda bored ;X
    dont be offended. ima singaporean too

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbesyeo View Post
    Actually, travel insurance is good to have - not for your camera but for yourself.

And I don't see the harm in bring ur camera along.

That said, like everywhere else and in S'pore, exercise common sense and keep a close eye on your belongings.

Have a great trip.
    hey! thanks
    now ima convince that ma parents will be convinced ^^

Quote Originally Posted by xEnie23 View Post
    NOTED.

i like wot u type ; It'll be quite sad if you can only use or dare to bring out your DSLR in oh-so-small Singapore. YEA, SPORE is small -.- and .. kinda bored ;X
    dont be offended. ima singaporean too
    but i prefer taking photos in singapore leh

you should get out more, singapore is a lot larger than you think. i personally think it is amusing when people go wow and whee over the beauty they see overseas but cannot see it in their own backyard.

No problem bringing your DSLR to Bangkok, Bangkok is a relatively safe city to travel around. Of course, places u should "not" bring your DSLR are anywhere near red light district (taxi drivers may also try to bring u to see those sex shows); the Bangkok train stations and main bus terminals (very crowded and pick-pockets).
    If u are 1st-time tourist to Bangkok, chances are u will go for the river cruise tour, be careful of water splash from boats when u are taking photos. And most temples and monks do not mind u take photos, just be sensitive and not over-do it, DSLR shutter sound can be very loud and annoying inside a temple.

Quote Originally Posted by Astin View Post
    No problem bringing your DSLR to Bangkok, Bangkok is a relatively safe city to travel around. Of course, places u should "not" bring your DSLR are anywhere near red light district (taxi drivers may also try to bring u to see those sex shows); the Bangkok train stations and main bus terminals (very crowded and pick-pockets).
    If u are 1st-time tourist to Bangkok, chances are u will go for the river cruise tour, be careful of water splash from boats when u are taking photos. And most temples and monks do not mind u take photos, just be sensitive and not over-do it, DSLR shutter sound can be very loud and annoying inside a temple.
    oooh. i frequent thailand as ma uncle haf friends thr.
    but... this is the first time ima bringing ma dslr thr. ahaha!
    mmm, i will take note about the inner-temple shots.
    anyw, pickpockets is inevitable in thailand ><

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    but i prefer taking photos in singapore leh

you should get out more, singapore is a lot larger than you think. i personally think it is amusing when people go wow and whee over the beauty they see overseas but cannot see it in their own backyard.
    places you recommend?
    haji lane. arab street. churches. botanic garden. zoologist garden.
    been thr alrdy ..

advises?
    thanks!

places you recommend?
    been thr alrdy ..

advises?
    thanks!

so your singapore = haji lane, arab street, churches, botanic garden and the zoo?

my singapore has city hall, bedok reservoir, macritchie reservoir, sentosa, labrador park, punggol - which has punggol end jetty, punggol end beach, punggol lrt whole system, kallang basin, pulau ubin, changi beach, changi boardwalk, all the temples..

ok that's probably half of the places i've gotten shots from. and that's not even 1/3 of singapore, honestly

Arrow Re: Advises whether to bring DSLR to Bangkok?

You've to be aware of your surrounding and it's not true that you can only use your DSLR in Singapore.

Low crime doesn't mean no crime.

well, everywhere i go, i bring my dslr along, sometimes 2 bodies, sometimes with other cams... normally more than 2.

no problem so far... even in bangkok.

only 1 incident in bangkok which i am kinda pissed off with... been to bangkok, think can't count with fingers... only on 1 occasion, i took a tuktuk, and its at night, then it goes to a dark alley as we're going to Chinatown... the tuktuk stopped and demanded a higher ride fair, before allowing us to continue with journey. anyway, if money can solve a problem, just pay...

its better to take a cab, then use meter... let them go 1 big round also can, as long you get to the place in 1 piece. and never go to those places taxi early in the morning ask you to go, its a waste of time... like those jewelery factory... they will go 1 after another, wasting your time... just tell them the destination you wanna go, and go...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

i nvr bring my dslr on my travels. only my compact.

reason? leave enough hands to carry the shopping.

HEY! SO QIAO

ima going from 4th to 8th feb.
    U GOING THR TOO?!
    ima bringing along.
    just gonna be streetsmart, since i got a very. streetsmart uncle who haf friends in bkk.
    well, which date ya going?

ima bringing and ima showing all this forums to ma parents.
    they are paranoid about me bringing dslr.
    but ima insisting on bringing, since dslr are meant to snapped, all around the world ^^

CORRECT?
    ima glad and appreciative of all the replies!
    thank you!
    iam going on 5th feb to 9th , just 1 day afer u
    Nikon D600 / D750

tried to send this just now but the system got maintenance suddenly.
    whole thing got washed out.

here try again.

Maybe you got some mis-information about BKK. See what they sell in BKK in a shopping centre. Fera...Lambo....these cost more than a house in Sing. You will have no worries bringing a 350D to BKK. Go to Oriental Hotel lobby for an hour and just watch the locals and foreign tourists arriving. You will know what I mean after doing that.

By the way, maybe see you in BKK around that time.
    And always buy travel insurance which is mainly for you and not just the camera. Of course we all do not want it to happen, but one in a million chance, just in case tourist needs serious medical evacuation, that can cost $100,000. Without insurance cover, will be too costly.

places you recommend?
    been thr alrdy ..

advises?
    thanks!
    Wah your Singapore is really small..

Having that 'been there, done that' attitude, no wonder you're bored of shooting in Singapore.

singapore might be small, a lot to shoot also.

well, singapore is not crime free, there are so many cases of crimes here. Just that you don't hear of them. so just bring your camera oversea and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by conquer500 View Post
    singapore might be small, a lot to shoot also.

well, singapore is not crime free, there are so many cases of crimes here. Just that you don't hear of them. so just bring your camera oversea and use it.
    Low crime doesn't mean no crime! MRT got alot of the Crime Prevention Ads around...
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    i nvr bring my dslr on my travels. only my compact.

reason? leave enough hands to carry the shopping.
    Yeap very good idea if you love to shop in Bangkok.

Normally if I am too lazy, I will bring my Leica D-Lux 3

the problem now is,

ima okay wid it. except family is abit paranoid about it.
    anyw, wid all this positive feedbacks cos you guys bring it along too,
    ima going along with the flow.
    i dont wanna head out without my dslr and return wid regrets = no photography.
    good chance to practice too.
    thanks anways
    Family? Paranoid about it?

Heck it my friend.

Negativity injection is always there, it depends on how u handle it. And of cos, nothing beats showing these people otherwise when u crush their traditional line of thought.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast