Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vios vs Jazz

Default Re: Vios vs Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by engr View Post
    wait for the new Jazz is 3Q or go for Fit from Parallel importers now.. RS ver is nice.. looks a little like EUR Type R Civic
    Locally won't have RS version one lah...

Quote Originally Posted by tionghan View Post
    i would recommend a latio too.. am glad i choose this over other cars..
    why ?

keyless
    big boot
    plasma ion
    made in japan
    good FC (my best was 16km/l ) before i changed to 17"
    i think most spacious among same class
    wow u got 16km/litre ?? I'm driving a latio sport, still running in, going for my 1000km servicing next week…

my 1st FC reading is at 12.78km/litre…not very great leh...will see what I get for the next
    pump.

Quote Originally Posted by tionghan View Post
    i would recommend a latio too.. am glad i choose this over other cars..
    why ?

keyless
    big boot
    plasma ion
    made in japan
    good FC (my best was 16km/l ) before i changed to 17"
    i think most spacious among same class

you can also go to mycarforum.com to check out the review of many cars

that's my view tho.. but if u only have eye for vios or jazz.. i'd say go for jazz..
    What fuel did you use to get you 16km/l? My best was 15km/l and that was with Shell98 but I've also gotten 12.5km/l with Shell98 also. After that I used SPC ULG95 and getting about 14.5km/l. Now I'm getting about 13.5km/l with SPC ULG92. I don't know for sure if it's the fuel, my driving habits or because of the road (I just changed job, so travel on different roads now, used to be 60% HW, 25% jammed HW and 15% City, now about 50% HW, 20% jammed HW and 30% City).
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 18th January 2008 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiez View Post
    wow u got 16km/litre ?? I'm driving a latio sport, still running in, going for my 1000km servicing next week…

my 1st FC reading is at 12.78km/litre…not very great leh...will see what I get for the next
    pump.
    I'm sure you will see an improvement after the 1000km servicing. I did for my sedan. FC drops quickly if you rev above 2500rpm. Idle rpm will also seem to be higher immediately after the servicing but it regulates itself the next day, so don't be alarmed.

Do you guys have a habit to change to neutral when waiting for traffic lights? Some people tell me that it will damage the gearbox if I do that, but I think idle without load should save a bit more on fuel, no? How true is this?

Default Re: Vios vs Jazz vs Latio (sorry TS) ;p

Quote Originally Posted by cookiez View Post

pump.
    I'm sure you will see an improvement after the 1000km servicing. I did for my sedan. FC drops quickly if you rev above 2500rpm. Idle rpm will also seem to be higher immediately after the servicing but it regulates itself the next day, so don't be alarmed.

Do you guys have a habit to change to neutral when waiting for traffic lights? Some people tell me that it will damage the gearbox if I do that, but I think idle without load should save a bit more on fuel, no? How true is this?

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Yeah, I have read in a motoring column a few years back that changing to N during traffic lights can do more harm than good to the gearbox.

From: http://www.wikihow.com/Drive-a-Car-W...c-Transmission
    "It is not necessary to put the car into Park or Neutral every time you stop. However, if you are stopping for a considerable amount of time, you may want to put the transmission into Neutral (N) or Park (P). Neutral allows you to shift back into Drive quicker, but you may need to keep your foot on the brake, depending on the condition of the road. Park will usually allow you to take the foot off the brake. Either one will allow the engine to idle at a more fuel-efficient rpm, and put less strain on the brakes and the drivetrain. However, repeatedly shifting in and out of Neutral and/or Park will strain the transmission."
    Last edited by Canew; 18th January 2008 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    IMO that was crab....Those people who told you that are probably rumour monger than a person with the right credential to comment I have yet to see any mechanical proof that N will wear faster than D.....It is true that the hidraulic will engage whenever we switch gear, but I doubt the frequency can warrant any serious damage to the gearbox....if it does than probably the gearbox or the car itself has quality problem, the manufacturer will probably post a big warning to prevent legal lawsuit or do a mass recall to fix the fault

I my self drove 2 auto cars for a combined of 4 years now, I always switch to N whenever there is a long red light because I don't want to tire my leg for stepping on the brake all the time Nothing happen to my gear box whatsoever You can argue that probably it wasn't long enought to see the full effect yet but for a car thats 3~4 years old, anything from timing belt to suspension will equally worn out and need replacement anyway, this are common wear and tear servicing for a used car.

When in stationary, N or D should not make any different to fuel level because the fuel injection electronic will take care of the mixture and combussion

Jazz vs Vios? for me, it's the Jazz. wins hands down.

my girlfriend drives a Jazz over in Australia, and let me tell you it has earned immense amounts of respect from me, and the movers we hired to move my furniture from my apartment. for the record, the Jazz took everything but the fridge, washing machine, and queen size bed. it took everything else, and when you've been in Australia for a while like I have been... trust me, it's a fair bit of stuff. sure, I had to do multiple trips in the car... but it sure did save me on expensive movers fees (when you pay by the hour, and when the fees are upwards of about $150SGD p/hr, you want to make sure you can either afford the cost or move as much as you can first!)

it's a 1.5L 5spd manual version and the car is really nice and fun to drive. transmission can be a bit of a drag especially at the higher speed range, where the RPM range is high for the speed (100km/h @ 3k rpm), but honestly... in Singapore, you wouldn't/shouldn't even be reaching such speeds. for the stop start nature of the traffic in Singapore, I'd definitely get the Jazz over the Vios. don't get me wrong, I've driven the Vios variant in Australia (we call it the Yaris sedan) and it's a wonderful little car to drive. but the engine seemed more unrefined and rougher in terms of sound, and the sound was deafening when we were driving down the freeway. and the auto transmission that we tested on was so reluctant to shift that it was as good as coercing a camel to share its water with you.

I'm not sure if the specs for both these cars are the same as what I get in Australia, but if they are... the Jazz wins hands down for me. it's an older design, yes.... but still it's the most functional car I've driven in a while. and this is coming from a guy who drives a 2.4L Euro CL9 and is actually considering downgrading to a Jazz.
    Last edited by terryansimon; 21st January 2008 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    IMO that was crab....Those people who told you that are probably rumour monger than a person with the right credential to comment I have yet to see any mechanical proof that N will wear faster than D.....It is true that the hidraulic will engage whenever we switch gear, but I doubt the frequency can warrant any serious damage to the gearbox....if it does than probably the gearbox or the car itself has quality problem, the manufacturer will probably post a big warning to prevent legal lawsuit or do a mass recall to fix the fault
    I my self drove 2 auto cars for a combined of 4 years now, I always switch to N whenever there is a long red light because I don't want to tire my leg for stepping on the brake all the time Nothing happen to my gear box whatsoever You can argue that probably it wasn't long enought to see the full effect yet but for a car thats 3~4 years old, anything from timing belt to suspension will equally worn out and need replacement anyway, this are common wear and tear servicing for a used car.

When in stationary, N or D should not make any different to fuel level because the fuel injection electronic will take care of the mixture and combussion
    Hmm.. I think in D, the idling engine is converting mechanical energy into heat in the torque converter. Otherwise the car would theoretically would not creep when you release the brakes. Then again, this amount of work done is probably very little anyway..

There were a few times though that I forgot to switch back to D when the light turns green.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12