Thread: Converting old photographs to digital image

Default Converting old photographs to digital image

would like to ask if anyone has done it before with a digital camera and if possible guide me along.

i'm helping my colleague reproduce his old photographs(>20 years old) and some of them are in black and white.

i have a canon g3 and a couple of questions i have are :

1) what are the steps to get started?
    2) should i use iso50 or iso100?
    3) metering mode?
    4) which shooting mode to use? (Tv, Av or Manual settings?)
    5) aperture and shutter speed?

thanks in advance

Deregistered

I've been using a 2mp (setting) CP950/CP4500 to do that for quite a while. Mostly archiving my alumni's photos and articles. Try using plain simple marco mode.

- ISO100 setting
    - indoor well-lit place (preferably from daylight)
    - Programmed mode
    - WB auto (if fluoro lightingm then fluoro filter, if hvy on warm lights then sunlight filter, or equivalent)

You may want to use a tripod to mount your cam pointing onto the floor. Place photos 1 by 1 on the floor and snap away.

BTW, I have yet to use a tripod for my archiving. Always balance with 1 hand.

PS if interested, can PM me. I will be doing some archiving this Sat and probably another Sat in June. Though this time will be sch mags, so will be more chin chai.

Why don't you use a scanner instead?

I had some really old pictures of my parents and some family photos. Took them down to Fotohub and had them scanned and touch up, print and then laminate.

I have the original photos, but also have the laminated ones that will last longer.

They scanned the old photos and then give it to you in CD-Rom. Look for Patrick, a friendly and professional chap.
    Last edited by fruitybix; 23rd May 2003 at 09:40 AM.

Originally posted by fruitybix
    I had some really old pictures of my parents and some family photos. Took them down to Fotohub and had them scanned and touch up, print and then laminate.

I have the original photos, but also have the laminated ones that will last longer.

They scanned the old photos and then give it to you in CD-Rom. Look for Patrick, a friendly and professional chap.
    what's the price like?

Originally posted by Snowcrash
    what's the price like?
    Cannot recall, give me some time to dig up the receipt, or you could call them direct, its fotohub.. But i guess the price will also depend on the amount of restoration work that needs to be done..