Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49

Thread: Changing Lens Outdoor

  1. #1

    Default Changing Lens Outdoor

    Hi All,

    Just checking, apart from not dropping the lens, are there any precautions to take while changing lens outdoor?

    Rgds,

  2. #2
    Member Buggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,139

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    at beach, be extra careful when you're changing your lens there.

    if possible change ur lens indoor rather than just beside the road or any places you think is dusty.

    body face down, so that dust won't land so easily facing upwards.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    I agree with Buggy. In addition, turn off your camera while doing that as leaving it on causes static to build up internally in the sensor and this attracts more dusts. Best is to change it in a clean environment.
    Last edited by Snoweagle; 13th January 2008 at 11:45 PM.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,202

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Do it as quickly (and safely as you can).

    Make sure the lens to be mounted is rotated in the correct position so that you won't fumble during the change. And try not to do it in a windy area.

    With regards to the body facing down idea, I somehow prefer to have the camera and lens both in the vertical orientation, reason being that if airborne particles don't drop into the camera, they may land on the rear element of the lens. But of course, I can't prove if my method is better than the body-facing-down method also...
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  5. #5

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    In the SLRs days we used to change lenses in the open. Why the extra extraordinary precautions needed for DSLr lenses? Thanks !!

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    23,822

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    because even dust land on film, it will be only affect on one frame only, but when you load film, recommended you not do it under direct sunlight, and have to check any stray hair or foreign object in the film chamber and the shutter.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,759

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Quote Originally Posted by antimony60 View Post
    In the SLRs days we used to change lenses in the open. Why the extra extraordinary precautions needed for DSLr lenses? Thanks !!
    Dust on the sensor...

    You'd need to send in for cleaning once you have dust bunnies affecting your pictures.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Quote Originally Posted by antimony60 View Post
    In the SLRs days we used to change lenses in the open. Why the extra extraordinary precautions needed for DSLr lenses? Thanks !!
    As zac08 stated. SLR's 'sensor' is the film itself so we don't have to worry abt dust issues. But digital sensors are highly sensitive to dust particles so even having tiny specks would be visible on your pics when taking at smaller apertures.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    As zac08 stated. SLR's 'sensor' is the film itself so we don't have to worry abt dust issues. But digital sensors are highly sensitive to dust particles so even having tiny specks would be visible on your pics when taking at smaller apertures.
    Yups. Essentially, if one dust lands on film, only 1 photo will be affected. Dust on sensor will affect thousands of photos.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    seriously ppl take the dust-during-lens-change issue way too seriously. when you are in the midst of the action, who will care so much? just change it fast and get the snap.

    Change in the clean room, where are you going to get that when you are outside shooting? Switching off the camera is in case of shorts in the electrical system but then that is overrated too, the body is trong enough to take it. Your camera's sensor is still on when it is shooting, so it will still attract dust or whatever, Having a lens attached doesnt mean that the camera body becomes dust proof, it still attracts whenever you shoot.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    seriously ppl take the dust-during-lens-change issue way too seriously. when you are in the midst of the action, who will care so much? just change it fast and get the snap.

    Change in the clean room, where are you going to get that when you are outside shooting? Switching off the camera is in case of shorts in the electrical system but then that is overrated too, the body is trong enough to take it. Your camera's sensor is still on when it is shooting, so it will still attract dust or whatever, Having a lens attached doesnt mean that the camera body becomes dust proof, it still attracts whenever you shoot.
    True but what we're trying to get on here is to reduce dusts entry into the camera.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Beyond Space-Time Continuum
    Posts
    6,324

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Nothing beats changing a lens fast. Speed is the key here.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Change? Pffft. I buy a new body with each new lens.





  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Nothing beats changing a lens fast. Speed is the key here.
    If u're in a more dusty environment, no matter how fast u change your lens, the dusts will still enter.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampines Street 12
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Change? Pffft. I buy a new body with each new lens.




    RICH

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tampines Street 12
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    If u're in a more dusty environment, no matter how fast u change your lens, the dusts will still enter.
    agreed.
    best is change the lens within a dry and safe environment.
    u wouldnt want a smudge picture after the change of ur lens.
    the sensor is a petty sensitive thing.
    do care

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Quote Originally Posted by xEnie23 View Post
    agreed.
    best is change the lens within a dry and safe environment.
    u wouldnt want a smudge picture after the change of ur lens.
    the sensor is a petty sensitive thing.
    do care
    Correct. But also stated earlier, if u're doing events or shooting for pple, we've no choice.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  18. #18
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Why worry so much.
    I worry about not getting good shots.


    I'm average joe but to me-Good pic>sensor to service centre

  19. #19
    Senior Member AxeLa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    3,698

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Ha ha...funnie thread...
    D800|24~120mm VR|AF VR 80~400mm ED |SB900|50mm F1.8|CD 2X2|FL-360|FastPack 350/Sony RX100M3

  20. #20

    Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

    Quote Originally Posted by kitchionh View Post
    Hi All,

    Just checking, apart from not dropping the lens, are there any precautions to take while changing lens outdoor?

    Rgds,
    I don't know which camera you use, or plan to use, but if you have an Olympus dSLR, you really don't need to be very careful at all. Of course, extreme conditions should be avoided, but changing outdoors, besides streets or on the beach is not an issue. It has the wolds best built in cleaning system, called SSWF, and it works well since several years. It has been introduced with the E-1 and I don't think many Olympus owners have cleaned their sensor yet. Much can be said about the Olympus cameras, but lens changing is definitely not an issue. I never paid any attention to where I change lens during the past two years, and I change lens often, indoors and outdoors. I hold my camera in the most comfortable way when changing lens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •