Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing Lens Outdoor

Default Changing Lens Outdoor

Hi All,

Just checking, apart from not dropping the lens, are there any precautions to take while changing lens outdoor?

Rgds,

Default Re: Changing Lens Outdoor

at beach, be extra careful when you're changing your lens there.

if possible change ur lens indoor rather than just beside the road or any places you think is dusty.

body face down, so that dust won't land so easily facing upwards.

I agree with Buggy. In addition, turn off your camera while doing that as leaving it on causes static to build up internally in the sensor and this attracts more dusts. Best is to change it in a clean environment.
    Last edited by Snoweagle; 13th January 2008 at 11:45 PM.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Do it as quickly (and safely as you can).

Make sure the lens to be mounted is rotated in the correct position so that you won't fumble during the change. And try not to do it in a windy area.

With regards to the body facing down idea, I somehow prefer to have the camera and lens both in the vertical orientation, reason being that if airborne particles don't drop into the camera, they may land on the rear element of the lens. But of course, I can't prove if my method is better than the body-facing-down method also...
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

In the SLRs days we used to change lenses in the open. Why the extra extraordinary precautions needed for DSLr lenses? Thanks !!

because even dust land on film, it will be only affect on one frame only, but when you load film, recommended you not do it under direct sunlight, and have to check any stray hair or foreign object in the film chamber and the shutter.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by antimony60 View Post
    In the SLRs days we used to change lenses in the open. Why the extra extraordinary precautions needed for DSLr lenses? Thanks !!
    Dust on the sensor...

You'd need to send in for cleaning once you have dust bunnies affecting your pictures.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by antimony60 View Post
    As zac08 stated. SLR's 'sensor' is the film itself so we don't have to worry abt dust issues. But digital sensors are highly sensitive to dust particles so even having tiny specks would be visible on your pics when taking at smaller apertures.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    As zac08 stated. SLR's 'sensor' is the film itself so we don't have to worry abt dust issues. But digital sensors are highly sensitive to dust particles so even having tiny specks would be visible on your pics when taking at smaller apertures.
    Yups. Essentially, if one dust lands on film, only 1 photo will be affected. Dust on sensor will affect thousands of photos.

seriously ppl take the dust-during-lens-change issue way too seriously. when you are in the midst of the action, who will care so much? just change it fast and get the snap.

Change in the clean room, where are you going to get that when you are outside shooting? Switching off the camera is in case of shorts in the electrical system but then that is overrated too, the body is trong enough to take it. Your camera's sensor is still on when it is shooting, so it will still attract dust or whatever, Having a lens attached doesnt mean that the camera body becomes dust proof, it still attracts whenever you shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    seriously ppl take the dust-during-lens-change issue way too seriously. when you are in the midst of the action, who will care so much? just change it fast and get the snap.

Change in the clean room, where are you going to get that when you are outside shooting? Switching off the camera is in case of shorts in the electrical system but then that is overrated too, the body is trong enough to take it. Your camera's sensor is still on when it is shooting, so it will still attract dust or whatever, Having a lens attached doesnt mean that the camera body becomes dust proof, it still attracts whenever you shoot.
    True but what we're trying to get on here is to reduce dusts entry into the camera.

Nothing beats changing a lens fast. Speed is the key here.

Change? Pffft. I buy a new body with each new lens.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    Nothing beats changing a lens fast. Speed is the key here.
    If u're in a more dusty environment, no matter how fast u change your lens, the dusts will still enter.

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Change? Pffft. I buy a new body with each new lens.

RICH

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    If u're in a more dusty environment, no matter how fast u change your lens, the dusts will still enter.
    agreed.
    best is change the lens within a dry and safe environment.
    u wouldnt want a smudge picture after the change of ur lens.
    the sensor is a petty sensitive thing.
    do care

Quote Originally Posted by xEnie23 View Post
    agreed.
    best is change the lens within a dry and safe environment.
    u wouldnt want a smudge picture after the change of ur lens.
    the sensor is a petty sensitive thing.
    do care
    Correct. But also stated earlier, if u're doing events or shooting for pple, we've no choice.

Deregistered

Why worry so much.
    I worry about not getting good shots.

I'm average joe but to me-Good pic>sensor to service centre

Ha ha...funnie thread...
    D800|24~120mm VR|AF VR 80~400mm ED |SB900|50mm F1.8|CD 2X2|FL-360|FastPack 350/Sony RX100M3

Quote Originally Posted by kitchionh View Post
    Hi All,

Just checking, apart from not dropping the lens, are there any precautions to take while changing lens outdoor?

Rgds,
    I don't know which camera you use, or plan to use, but if you have an Olympus dSLR, you really don't need to be very careful at all. Of course, extreme conditions should be avoided, but changing outdoors, besides streets or on the beach is not an issue. It has the wolds best built in cleaning system, called SSWF, and it works well since several years. It has been introduced with the E-1 and I don't think many Olympus owners have cleaned their sensor yet. Much can be said about the Olympus cameras, but lens changing is definitely not an issue. I never paid any attention to where I change lens during the past two years, and I change lens often, indoors and outdoors. I hold my camera in the most comfortable way when changing lens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast