Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: how many stops does monopod gives...?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,139

    Default how many stops does monopod gives...?

    if IS can give us 2 stops for handholding stability.... how many stops does our monopod gives...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: how many stops does monopod gives...?

    how many stops can your stable hands give?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: how many stops does monopod gives...?

    It really depends on the person using the monopod, the weight of the camera/lens, and how it is held. Could be anything from between 1/3 to 5+ stops.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,139

    Default Re: how many stops does monopod gives...?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    how many stops can your stable hands give?
    actually on my 70-200 handheld i can go as slow as 1/160 which gives me reasonably sharp photos..

    so just want to have an idea how much i can push down my shutter speed.... to avoid a lot of trial and error...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,139

    Default Re: how many stops does monopod gives...?

    Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    It really depends on the person using the monopod, the weight of the camera/lens, and how it is held. Could be anything from between 1/3 to 5+ stops.
    thankz bro...

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Legion
    Posts
    7,751

    Default Re: how many stops does monopod gives...?

    Quote Originally Posted by elmzarcega View Post
    actually on my 70-200 handheld i can go as slow as 1/160 which gives me reasonably sharp photos..

    so just want to have an idea how much i can push down my shutter speed.... to avoid a lot of trial and error...
    well synapseman have basically answered ur question... personally i deem monopod to be probably less than 1 stop when I use it, maybe it is just due to not getting use to it and holding the setup properly...

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,139

    Default Re: how many stops does monopod gives...?

    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerZ View Post
    well synapseman have basically answered ur question... personally i deem monopod to be probably less than 1 stop when I use it, maybe it is just due to not getting use to it and holding the setup properly...
    i see.. thankz bro... it's because it's my first time to try out using monopod also (see here) at singapore zoo... although 70-200 F4 is handholdable, i anticipated some poor lighting like at the crocodile and phyton section... so quiet satisfied with the result...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    2,196

    Default Re: how many stops does monopod gives...?

    Quote Originally Posted by elmzarcega View Post
    so just want to have an idea how much i can push down my shutter speed.... to avoid a lot of trial and error...
    If you are shooting digital, why not give it a try? See how low you can go?

    I hardly use a monopod, but when I do, I actually slide it between my legs while standing, with one knee pressing down against the monopod. Then I apply a slight backwards/upwards pressure on the camera itself. I haven't measure quantitatively how effective this is, but all I can say that this is "very stable".
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

  9. #9

    Default Re: how many stops does monopod gives...?

    here's a write-up on monopod technique... might help to improve stability

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •