Thread: Can someone let me try out their DSLR to see which is best for me

Default Can someone let me try out their DSLR to see which is best for me

Hi there

I thinking of getting a DSLR but not sure should i get it or just get a pretty good ...press and shoot camera.

Btw...thinking of testing out a few models and brands....can some of ur help me in this area..

Thanks

Default Re: Can someone let me try out their DSLR to see which is best for me

you can go to photography shops to test out. but pls read a little more as Point and Shoot like it says, just point and shoot. in DSLR, it will be quite a waste to set it to Auto and shoot. read more about some entry level camera like Nikon D40x or Canon 400D or Olympus systems, etc.

b4 u decide, do some research as you initial investment in DSLR is important.

goto: www.dpreview.com for go reading and comparison between cameras.
    Canon5D 50mm/100mm (macro)/24-105mm/100-400mm
    My flickr

Well, people are unlikely to have dSLRs from the various brands. How about looking up the specs you like on dpreview, then dropping by a place like Harvey Norman to test things out? Of course, HN may or may not have the best deals, but they sure do usually have charged stuff ready for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by firelord View Post
    Hi there

I thinking of getting a DSLR but not sure should i get it or just get a pretty good ...press and shoot camera.

Btw...thinking of testing out a few models and brands....can some of ur help me in this area..

Thanks
    if you touch already got problem how

then people will start a long thread here to scold you and say that they have your namecard

better to go to shops and try..

Places like Courts and Harvey Norman are great for testing out point and shoot. Usually the compacts have battery in them and ready for testing. If you want to test out dslr though, its better to go to those specific shops like Cathay Photo or MS Color as there they usually hold a wider ranger of DSLR and with battery ready for shooting.

On general though DSLR produce better pictures IF the CORRECT settings and conditions are met. Personally for entry level DSLR, they are pretty much all the same except for some functions like inbuilt body image stabalizer and live view. All this you can read from review sites. Just note that its still better to test it out yourself for the feel as different maker has slightly different build.

Wait for the Comex show (in March?), they usually have many cameras for u to try out right there.

I think by trying out it means bring it out for some real shooting, and processing the images produced by the camera etc, rather than just having a few of the body in some IT show..

Frankly i might be abit hard for others to lend their precious DSLR and lens out to complete strangers. Why not consider renting a set for a day...

Hi firelord

Most of the shops will be glad to let u try out their cameras.
    You can drop by the friendly John 3:16 for example

*But some such as the S*** Brothers will be Buey Song if u dun buy from them

Ryan

Tampines Courts!! I may sound like an old broken-down gramaphone... but that place is all about free-n-easy. Test until you shiok!
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

The best person to approach is your friends if you scare pai say to go in the shop and play play but may not buy.

I believe most shops would allow you to play around with the camera b4 you buy. Otherwise, go to the respective showrooms where there are display sets waiting for you to toy around with.
    Let's get rolling :)

I remember going into Cathay and ask to try an olympus E-510. The nice uncle go grab a set without question and let me play around although no battery. We had nice chat and talk about the specs and etc... learned alot but finally didn't buy an olympus, also never bought a camera from cathay. But i bought almost all my accessories there

The new courts @ tampines near Ikea. bring your own card and test the camears. Can shoot near, or shoot out the window. The salesmen are useless. Even if you cut the security wire and walk away, they also wont go after you one -.- So just test all you want. Can even take the tripods there.

Though i also agree that tampinese courts besides ikea is a good, free and easy place to try out the different cameras... the selection of dslr cameras is quite limited...they have more of compact point-and-shoot and prosumers...And take what the salepeople say with a pinch of salt. I overheard them promoting a dslr to a customer and I almost laugh...

If you are buying a dslr, it is still better to try out at any friendly camera shop like what some of the bros have recommended, but do try to go at a less crowded time when they will have more time to cater to your needs.

IT shows are not a bad option to try out the cameras too, but again, take what the salespeople say with a pinch of salt, and do take into account the huge crowd at the shows.

No use lah.

If you never used SLR before, or no experience, you wont know what to see, feel, or think when you play with the cam.

All the advice about trying out the cam to know what is good is all bullshit.

At the end of the day it will still be your gut instincts or how much you were swayed by the salesman's sales talk. And you comfort yourself that you have not made a wrong decision by doing something, apparently rational and heeding good advice, before forking the cash.

Just imagine you take up a camera. You point shoot and you get a picture which you see on the preview screen.

So?

Good? Bad? What can you say?

Is 6MP enuff? or 10MP look better? But you can't see or say from the preview screen.

And surely the focus is good, - if not its your inexperience; surely the exposure is good - if not its your inexperience; surely the Auto WB is OK - if not you didnt know that in that situation you need to use Custom WB, etc etc. Do you get the drift?

For unless you know what to look for in the first place, you wont see it even when it is before your nose, and instead you will get "guided" by sales talk or your gut irrational feel maybe about immaterial, irrelevant attributes - like placement of logos, or prestige of the brands, - or maybe worst by advice from Clubsnap, like what I am writing now.

And ironically if you know what these small things are, then you have no need to try this and that; hands on maybe just confirm that it worked as claimed, or read authoritative and credible reviews. So again no need to go shop shop and play play.

Also most camera can all do the "job", ie generally take a picture.

They all differ in small things and bucks. So only if these small things matter a big deal to you, then you have good reasons to prefer one over another. But as it is likely you are a newbie there wont be such significant small things for you.

And so you can just choose any at random and it will work for you. Just that you scare people laugh at you at such an irrational decision making process. But actually it is not. People who laugh, dont know.

Actually a very good way to start is to buy second hand - again any, throw a dice or whatever - or based on what you can afford - and really play with it, ie seriously make pictures, until you hit the limits of that camera. And dont invest in any lenses yet, again buy second hand if need be. Then you will know what are these things you need in the next camera - and lenses.

And if you dont hit any limits then stay with your second hand cam and be happy.

Does Nikon have a showroom? The Canon showroom at Vivocity has quite an array of cameras to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj View Post
    Does Nikon have a showroom? The Canon showroom at Vivocity has quite an array of cameras to play with.
    Yes.
    http://www.nikon.com.sg/pagearticle.php?pageid=60

No. 80 Anson Road, Fuji Xerox Towers, #01-02
    Singapore 079907
    Operating Hours : Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm

Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    Tampines Courts!! I may sound like an old broken-down gramaphone... but that place is all about free-n-easy. Test until you shiok!
    YEA. SUPPORTED BY ME.
    really is display lohs.
    go thr touch till u song ~
    and best, no 'follow-you-around' sales personnals

Quote Originally Posted by xEnie23 View Post
    YEA. SUPPORTED BY ME.
    really is display lohs.
    go thr touch till u song ~
    and best, no 'follow-you-around' sales personnals
    Hahahhaha. I wanted to ask the guy a qn, den when i walked toward him, he ran away..

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Hi firelord

Most of the shops will be glad to let u try out their cameras.
    You can drop by the friendly John 3:16 for example

*But some such as the S*** Brothers will be Buey Song if u dun buy from them

Ryan

where is this John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by firelord View Post
    where is this John 3:16
    Funan Centre... 5th floor i think... they are very friendly... can look for Samuel...
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog