Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking photos of food in restaurant illegal?

Default Re: Taking photos of food in restaurant illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture View Post
    Copy some other chef's creation, recipe, etc - well, if you're a chef who needs some new ideas, just by looking at it, tasting it and smelling it is more than enough to know how to replicate it liao, no photo is needed.

In our company, we often invite visitors to view our factory. And we allow them to take as many pictures as they want to fill their memory cards. Someone actually tried to copy what we do, but ended up a huge disaster in terms of quality, delivery and most of all, a big financial loss. Well, it is a combo of experience, team work, know-how ,reputation and probably some other attributes.
    Copying one's idea is always a RECIPE to disaster.

There is so many factors and people involve in making a dish perfect.

Copying a menu is very simple. Why must we take photo of a menu?

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    It (Sion) is a mutant liao lar........this is why it(Sion) behaves this way.......
    haha prehaps we should refer to IT now as It

Copying one's idea is always a RECIPE to disaster.

There is so many factors and people involve in making a dish perfect.

Copying a menu is very simple. Why must we take photo of a menu?
    menus have price list. u'll be surprised at some of the bs i've heard about businesses not wanting their pricelists copied.

Usually this happens when:
    1) You dun look like a caucasian, or, u look like a local
    2) You are not a female

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    menus have price list. u'll be surprised at some of the bs i've heard about businesses not wanting their pricelists copied.
    Yeah I have heard about it. And it's those B grade restaurants are afraid of their menus being copied.

It's so simple. If someone says it's illegal, give them your phone and ask them to call 999. See if any cops come.

Quote Originally Posted by hamustar View Post
    Usually this happens when:
    1) You dun look like a caucasian, or, u look like a local
    2) You are not a female
    Well not really true. I have Japanese friends (male) who takes photos too in a restaurant. Not Japanese restaurant. Nobody approach him....keke.

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    It's so simple. If someone says it's illegal, give them your phone and ask them to call 999. See if any cops come.
    Ok.....this is the restaurant joke of the week!

Saying "Illegal" is perhaps a little too high handed and sounds way too silly IMO.

Anyway, before I take pictures of food, I'd simply ask for permission (of cos, there are times where I just heck it). Like this u wun go wrong.

Ok.....this is the restaurant joke of the week!
    i wanna see if james lye and wong li lin show up!

Yeah I have heard about it. And it's those B grade restaurants are afraid of their menus being copied.
    i wasn't just restricting what i said to restaurants though.

wah if that's true how come you're not a mutant?
    You know you start to turn into a mutant if you change your nick to Godzilla something.
    Last edited by Sion; 13th January 2008 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    You know you start to turn into a mutant if you change your nick to Godzilla something.
    you guys can start singapore branch of Xmen!

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture View Post
    Copy some other chef's creation, recipe, etc - well, if you're a chef who needs some new ideas, just by looking at it, tasting it and smelling it is more than enough to know how to replicate it liao, no photo is needed.
    Exactly. We also don't need a damn camera to "copy" their prices. We have theoretically an unlimited memory buffer between our ears...

loll maybe they know of my hidden desire to learn to learn how to make sushi!

So conclusion to thread is ask permission to be safe, otherwise bring foreigners along then take photo

Quote Originally Posted by zhangyb View Post
    loll maybe they know of my hidden desire to learn to learn how to make sushi!

So conclusion to thread is ask permission to be safe, otherwise bring foreigners along then take photo
    nah conclusion is to call them on their bs! It is your money and you're not tainting their merchandise. Unless they explicitly stated no photography they have no right to come and tell you later it is.

Hmm... thought civilized society operates on the principle of "Innocent until proven guilty". He has not been able to prove that you are taking the shots for commercial profits yet. Taking photos of food in restaurant and hawker centre, in this case, is no diff if there is no signs to prohibit it in the first place. If the manager can legally charge you for taking pics, then you can also charge him for not putting up preventive measures to prevent you from committing this "illegal" act in the domain of his jurisdiction.

Part of this skewed skepticism towards photography today, also indicates to me that ppl are threatened by the idea that there are much money to be easily made in photography.
    Last edited by Sonicboom; 13th January 2008 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicboom View Post
    Hmm... thought civilized society operates on the principle of "Innocent until proven guilty". He has not been able to prove that you are taking the shots for commercial profits yet. Taking photos of food in restaurant and hawker centre, in this case, is no diff if there is no signs to prohibit it in the first place. If the manager can legally charge you for taking pics, then you can also charge him for not putting up preventive measures to prevent you from committing this "illegal" act in the domain of his jurisdiction.
    eh that's in America la not here.

wah if that's true how come you're not a mutant?
    sion = sushi?

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    The restaurant manager may proceed to delete the photos you just took of the food using the mobile phone thinking that you meant to allow him to do that. Or he just got an excuse to "confiscate" your mobile phone. (now no need to buy one for birthday gift for his GF)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast