Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter wear

Default Re: Winter wear

At that temperature I usually have 3-4 layers. Cotton long sleeve T-Shirt, Fleece, Bubble jacket add one more Gore Tex Praka if its going to rain or falls below 2 deg More stylo wear would a 1-2 Cotten Long Sleeve T-Shirt, Sweater, Top Coat. I usually bring along a pair of glove and scarf as the Temperature difference between afternoon and evening to Night is great.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
    ... those are the hard core northern lasses!!!.......or are you in the red area
    Its very common among the Kawaii school girls in Japan Mini skirt bare legs with white cotton leggings
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

For clothing, look for Patagonia, mail order from the US. something like the R4 with a cotton/polyester T-shirt is good enough. The problem is that most clothing will not stop wind, it penetrates the clothing and you will feel awfully cold all over. The reason why you do not go fully cotton underneath is because cotton absorbs perspiration, while polyester helps to wick perspeiration away. The reason why you perspire is because the weather can be unpredictable at times, and you might be moving from a cold 3 degrees outdoors to a warm 27 degress indoors. Get a jacket that allows you to unzip fully at the front, forget about pullovers. Clothing do not have termostat features, while it keeps you warm in some places, it can become too cold or too warm in others. If you visit a place that rains often, you will need something that is water resistent. Normal jeans like Levis is enough to keep you warm. Bring sufficient socks as they will get wet often due to condensation, so you will need to change them everyday, and depending on the place you are staying, socks may not dry easily. Mositurisers like Aveeno is excellent, again mail order from US. Lip balm is a must. Wool gloves and scarves are useful, and commonly used by men in Europe.

BTW, not all fleece are made equal, and body fat does count for something in cold countries.

greats for the feedback and replies guys, you are wonderful bunch!

Please continue if there is more as I could not find what I was looking for today, the leather jackets are in the region from $450-$1800, the toughest looking ones from Timberland and the stylish ones from CK Calvin Kelvin, about $900-$1800 after 50% discount.

CKs has lamb skin single breasted jackets to cow skin double breasted jacket.

Timberland has the tough hide type leather jacket, but does not look very stylish. The rest of the range looks very sporty.

Zara has fashionable lamb skin jackets no discount going for $459 but its rather tight, no room to wear a wool sweater.

Anges b has a leather jacket for $2500 before 30% discount, but I doubt I could fit into it as french cuts their jacket very fittingly.

A/X has no more winter-wear for sale.

So far CK has more winter coats for sale with discount but the cheapest is still about $450 while the nice ones cost about $900 to $1800.

Zara has the most affordable leather jackets, so I may still need to relook at them tomorrow.

I spent the entire 10 hours in Orchard Road without any winter purchase, very hard to find winter-wear at this point of time and most sales are finishing. May the light shine on me tomorrow shopping gods!

Thanks for reading, please contribute if you have any ideas, looking for nice leather coats/jackets (hopefully less than $500) or very light insulated winter-wear.

Northface could be found in 4th story of Paragon, is it any good? Its very sporty (not our look) and the range is about $300-$400.

I love North Face yup its towards the sporty outdoor look Hong Kong is the cheapest to get North Face. IMHO Leather jacket is heavy and you don't get to wear it often enough to justify the $$$

...why leather jacket?

the maintenance is a pain in the ass, when you get wet you have to wipe it down else you'd stink like a cow, literally

You seem to have your core body covered but I thought I'd add my 2 cents:

The part of the body that exudes the most heat is surprisingly... your head. So any kind of headwear is recommended, even a simple cap. A scarf will also keep your neck nice and warm. Strangely enough when your neck is warm your whole body feels good.

You also shouldn't forget your extremities since they tend to get cold more quickly. Ear muffs like 180's will keep them warm and still look fairly normal. Gloves with a thermolite or wool liner will keep your fingers warm. You'll want a nylon or waterproof shell in case you want to have a snowball fight or something. Feet also get cold without proper insulation. Cotton socks are terrible, they don't insulate well and when wet get really clammy. Smartwool or Merino wool is the best bet because they insulate very well and absorb moisture. If you're going to be out long periods you might want a boot (at least mid-cut) insulated with Thermolite.

Forget about leather jackets.

Dun think long johns are needed unless ur threshold for cold is very, very, very low (which means u'll freeze even at aircon set at 20 degrees).

Ambient temperature of 2 to 7 is quite tolerable unless u're heading to rural areas with higher possibility of mountain/sea breeze which would lower the temperature by 4 to 5 degrees.

Simply wear your normal shirt, maybe u'd like to get a pullover and den a good waterproof jacket.

And BTW, don't forget to keep ur belly button well covered. Its not funny if it gets exposed to the wind and u'll end up keep running to the toilet the whole day. Keep ur stomach warm as well.
    Last edited by jsbn; 13th January 2008 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Parchiao View Post
    Forget about leather jackets.
    Yup. If you can, invest in a good (non-leather) one from brands like North Face or Aiger. Those keep you really warm by eliminating windchill and cold and also keeps you dry.

I used those chemical hand warmers when i went skiing in Dec, hardly worked. haha.

You lose 70% of your body heat through your head, so buying a good beanie or earmuffs plus a good neckwarmer/scarf should be sufficient.

BTW, where will you be going? I'll probably be going up to canada/US again next month.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Dun think long johns are needed unless ur threshold for cold is very, very, very low (which means u'll freeze even at aircon set at 20 degrees).

Ambient temperature of 2 to 7 is quite tolerable unless u're heading to rural areas with higher possibility of mountain/sea breeze which would lower the temperature by 4 to 5 degrees.

Simply wear your normal shirt, maybe u'd like to get a pullover and den a good waterproof jacket.

And BTW, don't forget to keep ur belly button well covered. Its not funny if it gets exposed to the wind and u'll end up keep running to the toilet the whole day. Keep ur stomach warm as well.
    Hmmm, unlike many people here, I think long johns, though not required, would be good esp for temperatures below 10.

You don't want to simply tolerate the cold, but you'll also want to be comfortable. It's troublesome to wear but is warmer and lighter than any other layer you'll wear (except the outer jacket of course)

Maybe i have a low tolerance to cold (haha), but it'll be good to bring at least one set along. Just in case

Regards,
    Jizeng

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post

Were you exposing your belly button?

I used to work in Alaska, where temperature goes down to -25C or less very often. 2-7C is considered cold, and will be worse if its windy. My saving outfit is always a good sweater, worth buying a good one that doesn't cause itchiness, a good glove is mandatory, a good scarf and a long john. Anything outside, I won't want it to be too thick, as its troublesome and you will be sweating quite a lot. The choices of winter wears are also better over at that location.

hi
    althought the below link maybe brand specific i.e. columbia but i think it makes general sense

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ge=fieldguides

gloves

hope these help
    cheers
    Last edited by starrynight; 13th January 2008 at 01:55 PM.

This is as informative to the thread starter as well to me, much useful info. Leather jackets had worked for me in the past - havent been travelling in winter much lately. Guess many have better suggestions than leather, especially from those residing in cold countries be it studying, working, you guys are wearing your cold wear on daily basis!

Oh BTW, if one's feeling cold. Don't remain stationary!!! This is possibly the worst thing one can do.

Walk fast, breathe a little harder. Get the blood flowing rather than let it freeze. U'll feel warmer.

P/S: My record was sweating thoroughly under ambient -7 degrees. U might wanna break this record.

I will be in Spain and Paris, may be spending long periods outside as we like to explore abit.

Barcelona is not so cold, and i may have time to shop there before i head to Paris, but we wanna look 'chic' so cracking our heads what we need so here it goes:

Shoes, good grip and good for long walking, may get the timberland waterproof ones.

Socks: woolen socks

Pants: Jeans should do the trick

T-shirt + wool sweater, I got lots of wool sweaters, so should be good, I bring a light one for Spain and a thicker one for France.

Outerwear: To shop and to be found.

Scarf, do you guys buy the woolen ones? My Mrs has a Mohair Scarf but I only have cotton ones, a few.

Hats, to be purchase in Spain.

Ear Muffs, very little choices here.

Err it is NOT trendy to wear ear muffs in Europe (think this tends to be for the below minus 20 degrees celcius). Sounds like you've got enough clothes to go to Paris first and then go shopping..........all chic and trendy there

Actually, there are fantastic sale season in Spain 2 times a year (once in January/Feb and another in July/August period). Its similar to the Great Singapore Sale that we have here.
    Items go for up to 70% discount. Google it.

Great Time to get your winter wear there too.
    Items from Spanish designers like Massimo Dutti, Zara & Mango will be at great prices. Sweaters & cashmere/wool coats will be at good prices.
    Not to go off topic but Camper shoes (which are damn comfortable & chic looking) will be at fantastic prices.

I got a cashmere/wool knee length jacket in Barcelona.
    Normally 480Euros. Paid 250Euros during the sale.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast