Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Singapore Happiest Country in Asia?

Default Re: Singapore Happiest Country in Asia?

Quote Originally Posted by Tupi Guy View Post
    It not just about Singaporeans, it about human and all just about contentment

Singapore might be the "happiest" country in Asia like they quoted. We cant deny that the living environment is much better comparing the others but of cos it aint come cheap too.

Again, we have the choice to choose our life too, it's individual needs. If anyone want a super "good" life then have to work extra miles to get there too.

If anyone want really hate singapore so much, then why still stay here? Dont say anything about alamak me NO MONEY ah....... it just a matter of you want a not.
    Ya, just like i always say, it about contentment. Human sure have greed but it is how greed you are.
    Again, what is right or wrong? There is no answer for it, it just a matter of where u stand and your viewing points. Majority dun mean "right" and Minority dun mean "wrong" too.
    That's the funny thing, I believe that MOST Singaporean are, be "nature", not contented (ain't we famous for being complain kings and queens?). I'm not sure how did the result come about.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Default Re: Singapore Happiest Coumtry in Asia?

If anyone want really hate singapore so much, then why still stay here? Dont say anything about alamak me NO MONEY ah....... it just a matter of you want a not.
    So you suggest we who have no money to build a sampan and just paddle out to sea and reach Australia the next day?

And the Ang Mohs will wait for us at the shore of Western Australia to welcome us with cans of cold beer?

Sure we want. But how to get there with NO MONEY?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    I don't think it's very correct to say that. In Sg, majority of newer house owners are actually in debt, it's just that we don't feel it because the loan is stretched over 20-30 years. (And look at the interest incurred), more importantly, one can't afford to take a break from work for 30 years from the point when a flat is bought, risking loosing shelter for the family.

Also really can't compare to those other countries, because much lower expenses and simpler life. They need shelter, they build their own hut, we need shelter, we need to fork out at least S$190 for a HDB flat. They need water, they dig a well, we need water... we'd be heavily fined for digging a well.

Their education system is rudimentary, all they need to know is read ,write and simple maths, try stopping at that level in Sg. And I haven't touch on medical expenses.

The thing is that we are "well taken care" of but it's at a cost. As the article stated, we willing gave up civil liberties for stability. To us, it's a small matter as we are brought up in this environment, we are naturalised. Just as we perceive those less fortunate countries and uses our own benchmarks, but they have also been naturalised to their environment just as we are.
    The question then is that will anyone here give up this standard of living to move to one of lesser? and dig well and build their own houses etc.

Also quite simplistic to say want water dig, want to eat plant cos dig well also need either money or free manpower (unlike free photography services which thousands "photog" in CS will gladly volunteer - this no one will)

Planting food also need resources ie seeds, fertilizers, buffalo or horses, water and irrigation

Lastly of cos most importantly divine intervention, pray got rain but no flood, got sun bit not too hot, got insect to pollinate but not eat up the plants etc etc.

Not so simple lah, I used to live in an attap kampong in Telok Kurau area as a kid. While we can run about climb coconut trees, fish in the longkang, my family was always hungry and worry about our next meal. Even when the roof leak also need money to fix it, cos it is not as simple as plucking some attap leaves, dry it and fix it ourselves. It took my father 6 months to save enough to get the roof fixed, meanwhile washing basin to collect leaking water as an interim measure.

Speaking for myself no I will not want my kids to go thru that. Neither do I want to live thru it if possible. Of cos the land now is a "gold mine" but than we also did not own it, just squatters there.

Yes I am happy. Cos every day when I wake up, I am still alive and kicking, I still have a good pair of eyes and hands to help me see and click the camera and best of all make a living out of what I like.

Cheers, Don't Worry be Happy

I am happy... those who aren't should experience living in a 3rd world or developing country.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    So you suggest we who have no money to build a sampan and just paddle out to sea and reach Australia the next day?

And the Ang Mohs will wait for us at the shore of Western Australia to welcome us with cans of cold beer?

Sure we want. But how to get there with NO MONEY?
    U see, human always love to get the wrong size hat where it usually much bigger than their head. Then it will too loose and cover their eyes and they cant even see what happening in front and then fall and die. There are plenty of cases.

If u cant "Fit" in sg what make u think u can live in W.Australia? (BTW, i never been to Australia) Maybe nearby singapore is a better choice.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    That's the funny thing, I believe that MOST Singaporean are, be "nature", not contented (ain't we famous for being complain kings and queens?). I'm not sure how did the result come about.
    That's human's nature, not just singaporean. maybe just the percentage is higher than others.

Not just complain king or queen or kaisu...... all just think that they are big "f***" and perhaps they never use a mirror before.

Singapore is a "brand" and heard alot of it while traveling. Good and bad.
    Dreams at Photoaid! Contact me, pls!

Quote Originally Posted by theonlyone View Post
    Most of the time, it is about money management. If you can't afford it, don't get a car, a DSLR, a new hp every year, subscribe to so many SCV channels, sign up for the fastest broadband, don't eat out so frequently, cut down on junk food, exercise regularly, stop smoking, cut down on movies, recycle things.

If you are not at the top echelon, please bear with some inconveniences. If you can come to terms with these, you'll be much happier. If you have kids and all of them are constantly clamouring for new toys but you have a fix income, you can't satisfy all their demands too. In the end, you can only tell them to cap their expectations.
    Ya... you are right.... i am doing those that you suggest now. I don't have a car and don't intend to own one, i don't have SCV TV, i stop buying camera stuffs like 2 years ago. I still using the lowest end of the broadband SCV is providing, I eat home everyday, bring food to work. Take the cheapest and most economy method of transport to work. I never smoke and watch movies once a month.

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    Then you should see for yourself true poverty.
    I never experience those but i see those. I also help those people within my means.

Quote Originally Posted by chngpe01 View Post
    I guess happy are those who appreciate the simple pleasures in life.

This one, I am very strongly agree with you...!!
    Last edited by Reno; 12th January 2008 at 12:39 PM.

If anyone wants to complain about Singapore... just imagine... walking on Orchard Road one beautiful Saturday afternoon... pass by Paragon... and the next moment.... a big bang and see pieces of hands, legs, intestines, brain bits lying on the street.. blood everywhere. People screaming and children crying...

Things that we have taken for granted everyday, like security, is what some countries... and even our neighbours have been dreaming about for decades.

I can't speak for everyone else, but as a Singaporean, having seen what some other people have lived through their lives (my foreign domestic helper from a very close country, for one) , I am very grateful that I live in this small little island.

You don't have to quite think about something as extreme as a terrorist attack...

Just think about infant mortality and social order.

There seems to be something wrong here ppl,

(like the TS) who can afford to own more than $11k 500mmf4 L lens and yet unhappy. Perhaps because not only the cost of living is going up but not much birds to shoot here

Ppl who can afford to spit chocolate bubble tea, also unhappy.

Ppl who have jobs but not happy because they are stressed and think they should be paid more and work less.

Ppl with computer are not happy cause they are so connected with the rest of the world that they can easily compare and perceived that the grass everywhere, except Singapore, is sooo much greener.

While the less fortunate in war torn and famine stricken countries are worry as to when is their next meal, ppl here are unhappy and complaining about the cost of rising fuel to propel their SUVs and 4x4s. And also raise in taxi fares.

I guess happy are those who appreciate the simple pleasures in life. But than again simple pleasures in life to many here could be owning a 1DsMkIII or D3 or maybe a Hassablad H3D etc. Human greed can never be satisfied
    what has material acquisition got to do with being happy? i think many of us are mixing up the concepts of being 'fortunate' and 'happy'. you can be fortunate but not happy and vice versa.

for what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

There seems to be something wrong here ppl,

(like the TS) who can afford to own more than $11k 500mmf4 L lens and yet unhappy. Perhaps because not only the cost of living is going up but not much birds to shoot here

Ppl who can afford to spit chocolate bubble tea, also unhappy.

Ppl who have jobs but not happy because they are stressed and think they should be paid more and work less.

Ppl with computer are not happy cause they are so connected with the rest of the world that they can easily compare and perceived that the grass everywhere, except Singapore, is sooo much greener.

While the less fortunate in war torn and famine stricken countries are worry as to when is their next meal, ppl here are unhappy and complaining about the cost of rising fuel to propel their SUVs and 4x4s. And also raise in taxi fares.

I guess happy are those who appreciate the simple pleasures in life. But than again simple pleasures in life to many here could be owning a 1DsMkIII or D3 or maybe a Hassablad H3D etc. Human greed can never be satisfied
    Just to share a poetry by a 13 years old kid :

Greed
    by Zachary
    Age 13

Greed is wanting
    wanting what you don't have
    keeping everything to yourself
    greed is hating to not have something

you always fight for something
    it might not even be yours
    but you have to have it

greed brings unhappiness
    rather than happiness of having something
    it rots your kindness
    until there is only one thought
    "i have to have it"

once greed is there
    it can't easily be stopped
    so watch out, and don't demand for everything
    and you'll be all right

Quote Originally Posted by schon View Post
    what has material acquisition got to do with being happy? i think many of us are mixing up the concepts of being 'fortunate' and 'happy'. you can be fortunate but not happy and vice versa.

for what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
    You mean people can be unhappy about being fortunate? If there are people here who are unhappy, it's only because they don't realise how fortunate they are relative to the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by schon View Post

if the person got $, but still unhappy, what will he become if he/she got no $?

like what parchiao said, they need to realise what is going out outside...

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    But charging up hills, setting the bangalore, crawling under wire and attacking FOFO ain't difficult at all...
    Then all the more reason why they should not be allowed to be exempted from doing something "not difficult". What are they afraid of? Why is the system so afraid of asking them to do so? 2 years NS, 15+ years of reservist, about 17 ICTs, manys BCTCs, countless IPPTs, maybe RTs, recall activations, etc....

If u cant "Fit" in sg what make u think u can live in W.Australia? (BTW, i never been to Australia) Maybe nearby singapore is a better choice.
    Like Indonesia?

"Selamat Datang!" they'll say to you!

Singaporeans need to learn to be gracious and more friendly first That is the main problem with those who complain about not "fitting" in...

It is not Singaporeans are not happy, it is Singaporeans don't want the world to know they are the happiest.

Why let the cat out of the bag and the whole country be swarmed with happiness-seeking Americans, Germans, English, Australians etc. etc.?

Anyone has read the book by James Hilton called "Lost Horizon"? It is about Shangri-la, situated high in the mountains of Tibet where people living there find inner peace, love and a sense of purpose.

Now Singapore is the Shangri-la of Asia liao.
    Last edited by Sion; 12th January 2008 at 05:42 PM.

If you find you can't live in Western Australia you can always swim back to Singapore what. (Presuming your DIY sampan is only sea-worthy for one-way trip).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast