Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why are lenses so expensive?

Default Re: Why are lenses so expensive?

I feel sad though, last time film camera kit lens is pretty sharp prime now kinda compromised zooms.. i rather they sell the cam with a prime lens

Quote Originally Posted by ilario View Post
    I feel sad though, last time film camera kit lens is pretty sharp prime now kinda compromised zooms.. i rather they sell the cam with a prime lens
    this is mainly because of consumer demand

everyone loves a zoom

in any case, you can always buy body only, no? that's why they offer body-only

in any case, the pentax kit is not a bad lens, honestly. i love it.. still keeping it for infrared work, and occasional shooting.. but not wide enough for me, hurhur

True enough, but people like to hear "bundle" than to buy separately though the same thing

True enough, but people like to hear "bundle" than to buy separately though the same thing
    of course, but if you know what you want, and you do not want a zoom lens, at least there's an option.. they did leave you that choice. the additional bundle makes the kit lens very cheap though, i think most people should get it seeing how you're getting a significant amount of value for the low price paid on top of body only price.

btw, you can ask the shop to give you a few kit lens to try out before you select one.. just look for the sharpest copy lor, that's what i did. my copy isn't razor sharp but it's pretty good around f/8 considering the price.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    not really, i understand that nowadays the cheaper lenses can use plastic elements.
    Hmmm, didn't know that. Never thought plastic can be used for good optical element. Learned something new today.
    My Flickr
    Life is measured by every moment that takes your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    this is mainly because of consumer demand

everyone loves a zoom

in any case, you can always buy body only, no? that's why they offer body-only

in any case, the pentax kit is not a bad lens, honestly. i love it.. still keeping it for infrared work, and occasional shooting.. but not wide enough for me, hurhur
    True that when there is demand, there will be supply from the makers.

Sometime I find that zoom can allow one to have more time and "space" to shoot. No doubt that zoom lens are less sharp. But when you shoot @ F8, sharpness should be quite ok. Also a little bit of PP should improve the picture.

After all, Pentax kit lens is still one of the best as compared to other brand.
    Let's get rolling :)

I second on the diamond comparison...

Prime lens and zoom lenses. Complication and complexity or parts and aseembly, precision and demand. Ask why a lens with lesser components and lens groups costs less interms of production materials as compaired to another that has more. The simple reason of a basic design that can allows wide angle shots with less prone to lens flare and ghosting as compared to zoom lens that inevitably requires more elements to bring the subject closer to the shooter compromising angle and flare.

Unless you have a factory of your own to make one lens for yourself otherwise this is how businesses are carried out and profits are made. There is a marginal anf constant fluctuation for lens prices. Demand aside its how each manufacturer competes and stay competitive at the same time.
    Last edited by liarliar; 12th January 2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Typo error

Will be more expensive after year 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by SpendorK View Post
    That's bad news

lenses are an asset. they can be used for a long time even if you've changed your body many many times. and they arent easy to design and make, you know! each optic has to be made to the exact precision. if not, you wont get your excellent imaging.

Quote Originally Posted by macingrouch View Post
    lenses are an asset. they can be used for a long time even if you've changed your body many many times. and they arent easy to design and make, you know! each optic has to be made to the exact precision. if not, you wont get your excellent imaging.
    Hmm, no wonder sometimes my photos came out not excellent. Probably due to the lack of precision inside the lens?

Just joking I do agree with you on the lens-asset part. I've told many guys before, if you have extra money, go and buy the best you can afford. Good lenses won't lose their market values too much when you resale them

Quote Originally Posted by SpendorK View Post

hahahaha your photos not excellent dont blame the lens ha. oh wells but sad thing is some brands have really low resale price unless you dont really intend to sell it off in the first place... for example sigma, it's resale price is less than half it's original price. So if you to buy, buy the bestest one! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    Good lenses won't lose their market values too much when you resale them
    As long as Pentax keep pushing out excellent cameras but unable to manage their lens distribution well, used Pentax lenses will always maintain good value.

Quote Originally Posted by VSonic06 View Post
    As long as Pentax keep pushing out excellent cameras but unable to manage their lens distribution well, used Pentax lenses will always maintain good value.
    That's the worst part about Pentax. Recently I tried to obtain the Tokina 80-400mm and both went for around US$600. And used. Ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    That's the worst part about Pentax. Recently I tried to obtain the Tokina 80-400mm and both went for around US$600. And used. Ridiculous!
    Didn't know it can fetch such good price. Should have grab it last time when i have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vulpix0r View Post
    Well, there is one selling on ebay right now:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokina-AF-80-400...QQcmdZViewItem

For US$800

Wow... The lens prices are so high right now. Let's hope that pentax come out more lenses to meet the demand of the user. (Praying hard that prices will not shoot up so fast )
    Let's get rolling :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12