Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photo Editorial Rates

Default Re: Photo Editorial Rates

perhaps a free ticket on SIA for you...? or discounted ticket...etc? i.e. in the spirit of getting some like benefit if not cash. but agree overall some cash is best, if not some in-kind benefit that translates to a payout...credits are good but often will not yield you long term benefit. Am not a pro but just thinking with some common sense here and reading other's posts...cheers, all the best and most imp kudos for making the cut to get your pic selected.

Quote Originally Posted by ckuang View Post
    If you're waiting for that to happen, it's going to be like hoping that water will eventually flow upriver. Around the world, the rights and pay of editorial photographers are being eroded very very rapidly.

Not sure if you've turned pro yet, but if you are planning turning pro, while credits are important, I would put a price tag on your work, otherwise before you know it, you'll be the go to guy for free pics. And when the organization is ready to pay for pics, guess what? they'll fly in some big name foreign photographer who charges money. Why? Is it because he is better than you? nope! simply because they will think his pictures are good because he charges money for it and you will forever be the no-budget-so-we'll-call-him guy.

Putting some sort of value on your work, more than just credit (it doesn't have to be monetary, it can be a trade for service or product, a page of advertisement in the mag, etc), will make your clients value your work more.

Blog Entries

And when the organization is ready to pay for pics, guess what? they'll fly in some big name foreign photographer who charges money. Why? Is it because he is better than you? nope! simply because they will think his pictures are good because he charges money for it and you will forever be the no-budget-so-we'll-call-him guy.
    Couldn't agree with you more in every aspect.

On Wed, at Seletar Airport while waiting for the chopper for an aerial photo shoot. I was told that the sortie before me was a "big time" American photog, engaged by a multi national company ie. flown in from US to an aerial photo shoot of its facility in Singapore.

Not that there are not enough good commercial aerial photographers here. But I guess its the branding and ostentatious factor attached to it too.
    Last edited by chngpe01; 11th January 2008 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daydreamz View Post
    perhaps a free ticket on SIA for you...? or discounted ticket...etc? i.e. in the spirit of getting some like benefit if not cash. but agree overall some cash is best, if not some in-kind benefit that translates to a payout...credits are good but often will not yield you long term benefit. Am not a pro but just thinking with some common sense here and reading other's posts...cheers, all the best and most imp kudos for making the cut to get your pic selected.
    no way a picture in the mag will get you those things. the pic is worth very little in monetary terms. like i said earlier, u will be looking at a hundred for a fp rop pic.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    So you talked with them about giving credits, was this before they printed the image?

It is their intention that bothers me with these kind of competitions, and it shows in that they still did not acknowledge the maker of the image, although in your conversation with them they did want to acknowledge?

Now they wil likely print your name (in small letters) somewhere in the next issue, so small that no one will see? No integrity...........

HS
    well said

If you're waiting for that to happen, it's going to be like hoping that water will eventually flow upriver. Around the world, the rights and pay of editorial photographers are being eroded very very rapidly.

Not sure if you've turned pro yet, but if you are planning turning pro, while credits are important, I would put a price tag on your work, otherwise before you know it, you'll be the go to guy for free pics. And when the organization is ready to pay for pics, guess what? they'll fly in some big name foreign photographer who charges money. Why? Is it because he is better than you? nope! simply because they will think his pictures are good because he charges money for it and you will forever be the no-budget-so-we'll-call-him guy.

Putting some sort of value on your work, more than just credit (it doesn't have to be monetary, it can be a trade for service or product, a page of advertisement in the mag, etc), will make your clients value your work more.
    as well

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post

Now they wil likely print your name (in small letters) somewhere in the next issue, so small that no one will see? No integrity...........

HS
    I don't see why this is a question of intergrity.TIME, an international magazine, if I'm not wrong, Newsweek as well, print credits in small fonts too.
    Does this mean they have no intergrity?

no-budget-so-we'll-call-him guy.
    This's a good one.
    just1book, no kidding!

thank you guys... all are well said and you're all got points on these and I don't have regret to brought up this topic... it opens the window of oppurtunity for every photographer to value their work and passion for photography...

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever View Post
    I don't see why this is a question of intergrity.TIME, an international magazine, if I'm not wrong, Newsweek as well, print credits in small fonts too.
    i'd say that at least they have the ethics to post credit without being asked.

Quote Originally Posted by JediForce4ever View Post
    You didn't understand what I meant......

First they don't acknowledge you but in the next issue they will print in small letters that picture this and this on this issue on this page has been taken by so and so.....

Almost no one will read these kinds of things.....

HS
    Last edited by hongsien; 12th January 2008 at 02:56 AM.

AFAIK, being also in the publication industry, I have come to know that companies like SPH and Mediacorp have great dealings with big stock agencies - such as Gettyimages, Corbis etc... These big names carry images in the millions... Stock agencies charge very reasonably for editorial usage. I was told that designers can use any image searched from the agencies' website for as low as S$60 per image - whether it is Rights-managed or Royalty-Free; but each image can only be used once for that issue of publication. So, I am guessing if SPH approaches any local photographer through browsing Flickr, it must be some unique images not commonly found in the stock agencies. But I believe they will not pay you too much. They just have to search the agencies' database of millions of images harder to find what they need... after all, it is only $60... sorry, I know this sucks. The publications my company are handling may from time to time use images provided by freelance writers abroad. The fee for each image is around US$50...

Hope this will help the discussion in this thread...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12