Thread: Help Needed: Anyone been to Lake District and Edinburgh???

Question Help Needed: Anyone been to Lake District and Edinburgh???

I'm going to Edinburgh and Lake District this coming July, can anyone suggest places that is a must to visit?

coz I only have 3 days in each of the places and LD is very big with lots of lakes so i need to narrow down the places to visit. (hopefully got enough time)

really appreciate some help here!!! TIA

Having a car is pretty important for LD. My favourite places to stay in LD would be Keswick and Grasmere. You could probably decide where to go by looking at postcards/books on sale there

Originally posted by erwinx
    Having a car is pretty important for LD. My favourite places to stay in LD would be Keswick and Grasmere. You could probably decide where to go by looking at postcards/books on sale there
    Thanks
    Do you happen to know is there any car rental in LD??

I have been to Edinburgh and Lake District. Edinburgh Castle is a must, according to many...

As for the lake, there would be several activities during the Summer months. Photographers usually avoid those months not just because of the human traffic but other months of the year have so much more to offer. Nevertheless, you can always wake up earlier or stay back later to beat/avoid the crowds and then pray for the magical light.

There are also free guided walks/treks for those who haven't got a clue how to walk in the lake. You can see the link below for the scheduled walks for the month of May/June.

Personally, I have been to Ullswater, Derwent Water, Lake Windermere, Lake Bassenthwaite, Keswick, Watendlath, Hodgeclose, Braithwaite etc.

Lake District Maps

My Lake District Gallery

Lake District Tourist Information

Accomodation

Free Guided Walks/Trekking

More info on Lake District

virtualcumbria_Lake District

I would advise you to advance booking your stay there. The above links should help.

Given your time frame, I would base myself in Keswick as Derwent Water is around the corner. So is watendlath. The famous Ashness bridge is near there too.

When I said near, please be prepared to walk a fair amount of distance. A car would be useful but not all necessary as those places I mentioned are within walking distance.

Make use of the free guided walks, if any, from Keswick too!

Good luck and have fun!
    Last edited by jasphotography; 21st May 2003 at 03:13 PM.

Wow
    thanks, jasphotography !!!

I guess I would stay around Keswick, due to time constraint, got no choice can oni go LD for 3 days after tat i got to rush to Bradford for my residency

jasphotography , you got very nice LD gallery

did you took those pics using Digital Cam or DSRL?? very vibrant colors.

esp like Derwent Water and Watendlath

I may be going to Edinburgh to do my undergraduate posting in St Johns Hospital in Livingstone in Apr-June 2004. May I know how I should maximise the opportunity for photography? I guess if I have to travel, it'll only be in the weekend.

If I should hire a car, where should I do it from?

Would be possible to travel by public transport, say train, mountain-biking, bus, instead of driving? If so, where should I go and how?

Thank you.

Originally posted by yeocolin
    I may be going to Edinburgh to do my undergraduate posting in St Johns Hospital in Livingstone in Apr-June 2004. May I know how I should maximise the opportunity for photography? I guess if I have to travel, it'll only be in the weekend.

If I should hire a car, where should I do it from?

Would be possible to travel by public transport, say train, mountain-biking, bus, instead of driving? If so, where should I go and how?

Thank you.
    maybe you want to check this website out...
    Scotland

thank u.