Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 84

Thread: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

  1. #61

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    if you absolutely want 1/4000 or even higher shutter speeds.. point the cam at the sun..

  2. #62

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Quote Originally Posted by osocan View Post
    Those insane shutter speeds are not meant to be used in the usual outdoor conditions. If you consider this to be a white elephant then you are perhaps right.
    Its possible you just need to invest alot of money in it and a nikon D3 system =3

  3. #63
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    or start some fire, you sure can shoot at 1/4000s anywhere, including your room.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  4. #64

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Ahhh i also know get alot of flash and high speed sync them =3

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Eh TS, my 30D goes up to 1/8000s shutter speed. I've never used 1/8000s. Does that mean I'm using a white elephant? I think I've shot 10x more exposures than you've read photography books.

    Please do yourself a favour and really go and understand shutter speed, aperture and ISO. It is not even possible, in bright sunlight, with the ISO at 100, and aperture at f/2 to hit that kind of shutter speed, let alone your own room, or in a shaded area.

    As Kit said, just because your speedometer goes up to 220km/h doesn't mean you have to drive at 220km/h to effectively use your car right?

  6. #66
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Then u all just have said get those stopepr 5 paint,invest more and etc...
    And u though it was me who don't understand apeture,shutter and iso...those are really basic physic stuff which took me 5 mins to understand it all when i was in secondary school science..

    So the question now is,if the 1/4000s isn't something whicn can be easily used in a entry level dslr,then why are they incoporating it onto the cam?
    If one needs to invest heavily on a entry level dslr to use the very high shutter..then it defeats the purpose of an entry level right?since consumer would rather opt for more professional bodies like d3 or 5d?

  7. #67
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Eh TS, my 30D goes up to 1/8000s shutter speed. I've never used 1/8000s. Does that mean I'm using a white elephant? I think I've shot 10x more exposures than you've read photography books.

    Please do yourself a favour and really go and understand shutter speed, aperture and ISO. It is not even possible, in bright sunlight, with the ISO at 100, and aperture at f/2 to hit that kind of shutter speed, let alone your own room, or in a shaded area.

    As Kit said, just because your speedometer goes up to 220km/h doesn't mean you have to drive at 220km/h to effectively use your car right?




    Then under natural conditions,how can one use 1/4000s?

  8. #68
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Quote Originally Posted by dotaboy View Post
    And u though it was me who don't understand apeture,shutter and iso...those are really basic physic stuff which took me 5 mins to understand it all when i was in secondary school science..
    Its really apparent that you don't know enough. Spend more time on it.

  9. #69

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    their just giving u the option of using 1/4000, and i dont think it cost soooo much more to have a fast shutter(if u consider 1/4000 too fast in the first place). no one is forcing u to use the 1/4000 . the camera is in ur hands.
    Last edited by deklan; 10th January 2008 at 12:08 AM.

  10. #70

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Quote Originally Posted by dotaboy View Post
    Then under natural conditions,how can one use 1/4000s?
    F1.8 lens? ISO 1600, Super bright sunlight for e.g. sunn beach scene surfing? but 1/4000 is like.. Rather.. Over zealous unless you are a pro photographer. 1/60 will be fast enuff for most ppl.

    Quote Originally Posted by dotaboy View Post
    Then u all just have said get those stopepr 5 paint,invest more and etc...
    And u though it was me who don't understand apeture,shutter and iso...those are really basic physic stuff which took me 5 mins to understand it all when i was in secondary school science..

    So the question now is,if the 1/4000s isn't something whicn can be easily used in a entry level dslr,then why are they incoporating it onto the cam?
    If one needs to invest heavily on a entry level dslr to use the very high shutter..then it defeats the purpose of an entry level right?since consumer would rather opt for more professional bodies like d3 or 5d?
    In response to this one, The reason they have it is incase pros have an "entry lvl" dslr as a spare, and their main one spoils...

    Or it could be professions that don't need "nice" photos, like investigations or something, where they can use flash and not mind about "ugly" exposure.
    Last edited by GavinTing; 10th January 2008 at 12:10 AM.

  11. #71
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Quote Originally Posted by dotaboy View Post
    Then under natural conditions,how can one use 1/4000s?
    Nobody's stopping you from using 1/4000. Just don't expect what you are expecting. The camera is telling you that you got it wrong.

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Central West
    Posts
    1,952

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    On a bright sunny day (no clouds), at ISO 100, if your aperture is about f/1.8, then you'll reach about 1/4000s - just calculate back from the sunny f/16 rule.

  13. #73

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Ahh. I tell you when you can use 1/4000. You go out on a sunny day. Aim the camera at the Sun! I ensure you can get it 1/4000.

    Man you trying to go against logic here. If the road has a speed limit of 100km/hr, does that mean you cant buy a ferrari? Theres limitation in the physical word that does not allow certain things at certain condition. And just to tell you, its possible to shoot at 1/4000 indoor with a consumer dslr. You just need the right equiment and setting.

    Just to say I can obtain 1/8000 if my aperature is 2.8 ISO 200 on a sunny day taking pictures of the Sky
    Last edited by zerartul; 10th January 2008 at 12:11 AM.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Quote Originally Posted by zerartul View Post
    Its possible you just need to invest alot of money in it and a nikon D3 system =3
    In this instance, the best investment is an FM10 Such a question would not have been necessary

  15. #75

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    On a bright sunny day (no clouds), at ISO 100, if your aperture is about f/1.8, then you'll reach about 1/4000s - just calculate back from the sunny f/16 rule.
    or conversely, up the ISO to something like 400 if the TS hasn't got a f/1.8 lens..

  16. #76
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    you keep saying you understand, but you really really don't.

    when on sunny day (ISO 100, 1/125s, f16) the EV is 15, you want to shoot at 1/4000s, without changing the ISO, you have to change the f stop to f2.8.

    so for other lighting condition, you need to change the ISO or the aperture to maintain correct exposure if you want to use 1/4000s. do bear in mind most lighting condition don't permit shooting at 1/4000s.

    and stop being so "IRON TEETH."
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  17. #77

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Quote Originally Posted by dotaboy View Post
    i understand what is shutter and apeture..but i'm though since they have 1/4000s then i must at least be able to ultilise it...if not won't it be a white elephant?
    Yes... It is 100% true that you should be able to use it. But at first, you must understand when and why you should use it.

    Do you know how to read (understand) the camera meter? I don't think so..

    There is something like this you can find in your view finder. Can be horizontal or vertical depends on the brand of the camera.
    "--'--'--"--'--'--"

    If the expoture is right, you will see this.
    "--'--'--*--'--'--"

    If the expoture is not enough, you will see something like this (take note of the star which is on the left).
    "--*--'--"--'--'--"

    If the expoture is high, you will see something like this (take note of the star which is on the right).
    "--'--'--"--'--*--"

    let's say you want to shoot a fish in your fish tank (aquarium) and

    Conditions.........
    (1) you are not using flash.
    (2) There is no ambient light (i.e at night and all your room lights are off)
    (3) You fixed your zoom (e.g at 50 mm) and your lens has maximum aperture of F2.8.
    (4) Your camera is mounted on tripod.
    (5) Your fish tank is evenly lit with fish tank lights.
    (6) Your fish is moving.

    READ CArefully..

    First, you shoot full auto at iso 400 (assuming your camera have no auto iso or you are not using auto iso).
    -- your camera metering shows "--'--'--*--'--'--" and shutter speed is 1/30 and aperture value is F4.0.
    The picture will be nice. Not too dark and not too bright. But because your fish is
    moving, you will see your fish a bit blur.

    Second, you shoot manual exposure at iso 400. You want your fish to be sharp in the pic (i.e. stationary). You set your aperture to F4.0, and Shutter speed to 1/120.
    -- your camera metering shows "--*--'--"--'--'--" (i.e the amount of light enters the sensor is 2 stops under.)
    The picture will be darker than the first one but your fish is more stationary (sharper).


    That was how your 1/4000 case happens. There is no enough light for your photos to be properly exposed.

    Try to use AV (aperture priority) mode and put the aperture value to the smallest value. (i.e 2.8 or 3.5, the smaller the no, the bigger the apperture and more light goes into the sensor).
    And aim at whatever you want to shoot. Read out the shutter speed from the viewfinder. That is the fastest you can go for that scene or subject. If anything faster, your photo will turns out dark. You may wish to push up your iso but there is limitation that your camera can deliver.


    hope you understand.
    Last edited by mtunlinn; 10th January 2008 at 12:21 AM.

  18. #78
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,650

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Assuming that TS knows what exposure is all about, I'm beginning to suspect that he can't handhold at speeds less than 1/4000......

  19. #79
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    this will be my 1st and last post for this thread.

    not that i want to be rude to TS, but it is amazing you guys are even trying to answer his question.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  20. #80

    Default Re: Pictures turning dark at high shutter

    Thats why I say he needs a D3. the ISO of 25600 will be a blessing for him. Like this he can use 1/4000 and get smth!

    Just getting entertained here hehe.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •