Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 76

Thread: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Singapore, western area
    Posts
    5,337

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    i see golden opportunity for bus and mrt.... up up up.
    their gold will reflect upon our bronze and rusty metal liao...hahaha

  2. #42
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Well the way the cyclical things work in Singapore, what the grand master plan is:

    1. Raise Taxi Fares
    2. Chase everyone to bus/mrt
    3. Bus/MRt packed, people complain
    4. Bus/MRT fares raised, to curb demand and to pretend to buy more capacity
    5. People go back to taxis when bus/mrt fares rise too high
    6. Repeat from step 1

    This is just shifting the problem around without solving the problem. Whcih is how our ERP system works by shifting the traffic around in a cyclical fashion, raising prices in that way too.
    hi vince

    we, singaporean adapt to new environment very fast and with very little fuss. we dont question (playing music to cow).
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    1. Where in the article does it say it's illegal? Actually, in a democratic society, it's not illegal until a judge says it's illegal.

    Singapore is NOT a democratic society. In the eyes of our law, all offenders here are guilty until proven innocent, not the other way round.



    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Well the way the cyclical things work in Singapore, what the grand master plan is:

    1. Raise Taxi Fares
    2. Chase everyone to bus/mrt
    3. Bus/MRt packed, people complain
    4. Bus/MRT fares raised, to curb demand and to pretend to buy more capacity
    5. People go back to taxis when bus/mrt fares rise too high
    6. Repeat from step 1

    This is just shifting the problem around without solving the problem. Whcih is how our ERP system works by shifting the traffic around in a cyclical fashion, raising prices in that way too.

    The trick is to increase the fares by an insignificat 1 or 2 cents. When you start to tally everybody's 1 and 2 cents, you will realise that it adds up to a large amount. Imagine if you take 500k passengers travelling in the day and 500k in the evening, with an increase of 1 cent per trip, that will amount to additional $10K per day. Multiply that by 30 days, you will get $300K. And I am pretty sure the amount of passengers well exceed 500K.

    It always never fail to amaze whenever the news interview someone about the fare increase, most will say that it's ok because it is only 1 cents. By agreeing to such increases no matter the amount, is as good as saying we support it. The saying every cent counts really hold true here.

    Unfortunately, Singaporeans have memories of 3 years because whenever the election comes, we will be so absorbed by the propaganda and be reminded of all the good things and nothing else. Maybe someone should keep track of all these "events" then that we can all have a recap before every election

  4. #44
    Senior Member azul123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Eastern Bloc
    Posts
    2,776

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    hi vince

    we, singaporean adapt to new environment very fast and with very little fuss. we dont question (playing music to cow).


    Speak for yourself. I am not that type of Singaporean.

    ../azul123

  5. #45

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Aiya, simple solution. Support Prime Taxi for now. In fact I call for their taxis for any ride that goes above $10 during peak hour, as 35% of $10 is $3.50 which is their call charge. They do not charge the 35% u see. They are getting FEEDBACK from drivers on what should and what should not be raised. Anyway their number is 67780808. I think its time someone silently protested or writes a long article to the newspapers.
    Chanxj
    my blog @ http://sgsnap.com

  6. #46

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    erm... i do feel sorry for the drivers that are getting squeezed. and the transport hikes make me unhappy too. but... do we really want taxi drivers setting their own fares? what if the reverse happens and during peak hour no one stops for you unless are willing to negotiate and pay extra $5?
    Black lens, white Lens, can take picture is a Good lens

  7. #47

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by insanne View Post
    Singapore is NOT a democratic society. In the eyes of our law, all offenders here are guilty until proven innocent, not the other way round.
    1. That is a sad reflection of what S'poreans generally believe (along with things like they don't have any rights, etc).

    2. In this case, it's a misconception. LTA can make all the noise they want, but until they prosecute, and until a judge returns a guilty verdict, it's all noise.

    A society with rule of law means that both the govt and the citizens have to obey the law, but it is an independent judiciary which decides which party has broken the law, not the govt.

    Normally, ordinary people cave in because they don't have the funds to defend themselves in court, or they take a dim view of their chances. In this case, I think LTA is unlikely to prosecute, it would be very bad publicity, big mighty LTA vs little old taxi driver.
    Last edited by waileong; 10th January 2008 at 09:51 AM.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    BTW, I believe our society system is modelled on a Socialist Democracy model. Not a pure Democracy model like what many young people think.

    Thus the words.... "TO BUILD a Democratic Society" not "HAD BUILT a Democratic Society"

  9. #49
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Ah, that's where it becomes illegal (see the Act quoted earlier).

    Quote Originally Posted by pai View Post
    erm... i do feel sorry for the drivers that are getting squeezed. and the transport hikes make me unhappy too. but... do we really want taxi drivers setting their own fares? what if the reverse happens and during peak hour no one stops for you unless are willing to negotiate and pay extra $5?

  10. #50

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    BTW, I believe our society system is modelled on a Socialist Democracy model. Not a pure Democracy model like what many young people think.

    Thus the words.... "TO BUILD a Democratic Society" not "HAD BUILT a Democratic Society"
    The world has changed. Singapore was kicked out of the Socialist Democrat Club long ago. And in any case, that club no longer exists. Even "communist" countries like China and Vietnam are not really communist any more. Not when they pass laws to allow private ownership of property.

    It is because of the rule of law that Singtel is able to sue IDA for $1.5B and win, that an asthmatic has successfully sued the Traffic Police for unlawfully denying her a driving licence, and others have successfully sued IRAS for tax-related matters, etc.

    The world has changed. Singapore has changed. But many peoples' thinking have not.
    Last edited by waileong; 10th January 2008 at 02:02 PM.

  11. #51
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    The world has changed. Singapore was kicked out of the Socialist Democrat Club long ago. And in any case, that club no longer exists. Even "communist" countries like China and Vietnam are not really communist any more. Not when they pass laws to allow private ownership of property.

    It is because of the rule of law that Singtel is able to sue IDA for $1.5B and win, that others have successfully sued the Traffic Police (for unlawfully denying a driving licence to an asthmatic), and sued the IDA for tax-related matters, etc.

    The world has changed. Singapore has changed. But many peoples' thinking have not.
    Yah..Singapore did really change..change things that most of us disagree, and never make changes that we want..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  12. #52
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    291

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    My mum just took a taxi from Changi Airport to Jurong after midnight and her total costs is $32. Guess the killer cab fares are those starting from CBD during the peak hours.
    I took from tampines,where ikea is to my house at the sports school via the highway and it cost me 22.80 during midnight..
    killer

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    If you observe, the majority of the big taxi companies seem to have actually the same owner.
    oops kenna found out..
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    3,924

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by insanne View Post
    Unfortunately, Singaporeans have memories of 3 years because whenever the election comes, we will be so absorbed by the propaganda and be reminded of all the good things and nothing else. Maybe someone should keep track of all these "events" then that we can all have a recap before every election
    trust me.. there is.. you just need to go to the correct forums to see it. someone will dig out the coincidental handing out of freebies and presents by santa claus every special leap year.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  15. #55

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    sorry double post
    Last edited by insanne; 10th January 2008 at 08:38 PM.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    1. That is a sad reflection of what S'poreans generally believe (along with things like they don't have any rights, etc).

    A society with rule of law means that both the govt and the citizens have to obey the law, but it is an independent judiciary which decides which party has broken the law, not the govt.
    of course we got rights, it is what sort of rights.

    Independent is the key word, do you think that our judiciary is independent?


    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    The world has changed. Singapore was kicked out of the Socialist Democrat Club long ago. And in any case, that club no longer exists. Even "communist" countries like China and Vietnam are not really communist any more. Not when they pass laws to allow private ownership of property.

    It is because of the rule of law that Singtel is able to sue IDA for $1.5B and win, that an asthmatic has successfully sued the Traffic Police for unlawfully denying her a driving licence, and others have successfully sued IRAS for tax-related matters, etc.

    The world has changed. Singapore has changed. But many peoples' thinking have not.

    Singapore has definitely change, but changing to and for what is the issue? And it seems, looking from something as simple as this thread, a lot to desire for. People, certainly more, change, we are all shaped by our enviroment, don't you think so
    Last edited by insanne; 10th January 2008 at 08:39 PM.

  17. #57

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    Normally, ordinary people cave in because they don't have the funds to defend themselves in court, or they take a dim view of their chances. In this case, I think LTA is unlikely to prosecute, it would be very bad publicity, big mighty LTA vs little old taxi driver.
    i think they might!! cos in their evil little devious eyes, they are thinking "what can the teeny little peasants do? nothing!! hahahahaha!!! muhaahahaha!!!!! sue them all we want!!! we shall punish them with higher erp if they become naughty!! muhahahah!!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

  18. #58
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    i think they might!! cos in their evil little devious eyes, they are thinking "what can the teeny little peasants do? nothing!! hahahahaha!!! muhaahahaha!!!!! sue them all we want!!! we shall punish them with higher erp if they become naughty!! muhahahah!!!! MUHAHAHAHA!!!!!"
    Peasants revolt.

  19. #59

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Peasants revolt.
    the key letter is "s". peasantssssss. pural. and in this context, pural means majority, not a few helpless "martyrs"(as quoted from feer).

  20. #60

    Default Re: Discount ads on taxis illegal, says LTA

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Well the way the cyclical things work in Singapore, what the grand master plan is:

    1. Raise Taxi Fares
    2. Chase everyone to bus/mrt
    3. Bus/MRt packed, people complain
    4. Bus/MRT fares raised, to curb demand and to pretend to buy more capacity
    5. People go back to taxis when bus/mrt fares rise too high
    6. Repeat from step 1

    This is just shifting the problem around without solving the problem. Whcih is how our ERP system works by shifting the traffic around in a cyclical fashion, raising prices in that way too.
    We are frogs in boiling water.
    Last edited by Sniper ShutterBug; 10th January 2008 at 10:38 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •