Thread: Help in DIY Softboxes Materials

Default Help in DIY Softboxes Materials

I bought a book by Cyrill Harnischmacher titled " Low Budget Shooting". Its a DIY solutions to professional photo gear. Its a nice book, you might check it at funan Riceball book store, its in-font of macdonalds at the lobby.

I was planning to make a softbox out from the book but been to couple of art stores and i cannot find the items.

Maybe some CSers can help me find the following items below and where can i buy

Ethelyne vinyl acetate (EVN)
    Aluminum/Plastics rods
    Backlit film/ Mylar
    Ripstop Nylon

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Help in DIY Softboxes Materials

For Acrylic, Plastic, etc, you can check out www.dama.com.sg. As an added benefit, they will cut the acrylic pieces to your required size.

i made mine out of styrofoam and i saw the compressed styro that day which looks even better. give it a try!

Deregistered

y no those $2 umbrella at daiso?

Small diameter short length rods (hollow) up to about 1m ~ 1.2m in alum, steel(?) and even carbon can find at the hard-core radio-controlled stores in Hong Lim Complex Basement. They might have plastic rods, but I don't recall seeing.

Solid steel small diameter rods from say 5mm up to 20mm or more at most long lengths can find at any steel rod supplier in most industrial estates.

Plastic/acrylic look up Sign Makers or Sinage in the Commercial and Industrial Guide. Try to see if there's one located in the same industrial estate (if you're going to one to find solid small diameter steel rods) to save time.

Not sure what thickness or for how the EVN, Mylar and Nylon is going to be used, but some of these materials can be found in the Jln Besar/Kitchener Road area where there are industrial supplies stores as well as fabricators. Also can consider using tracing paper, white cloth etc as subs if you're not working with high W hot lights for long periods.

Another good way to check before travelling all over the place is to first look up the Commercial and Industrial Guide and call around.

Hope this helps.

tony/hacknet/jacob/ dream merchant,
    Thanks for the feedback, will try to check this weekend.