Thread: What's speaking in tongue?

Question What's speaking in tongue?

I went to this church, one of the session got people start speaking something I dun understand. My friends told me that this was "speaking in tongue" but they couldn't really explain to me what it is.

Any Christian can help?

Default Re: What's speaking in tongue?

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    Very chim leh. So is it a language?

Quote Originally Posted by JillValentine View Post
    ..My friends told me that this was "speaking in tongue" but they couldn't really explain to me what it is.

Any Christian can help?
    "In the New Testament, the book of Acts recounts...accompanied by the miraculous occurrence of speaking in languages unknown to them, but recognizable to others present as their own native language. The phenomenon...the speaking of an actual foreign language, or as the gift of interpretation being given to those present: the ability to understand the tongues (each person in his own language)."

So its just babbling if no one,even themselves understands a word?..

Quote Originally Posted by JillValentine View Post
    Very chim leh. So is it a language?
    some ppl tell me its the language of angels.

i'm not a christian so i dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by firestone View Post
    "In the New Testament, the book of Acts recounts...accompanied by the miraculous occurrence of speaking in languages unknown to them, but recognizable to others present as their own native language. The phenomenon...the speaking of an actual foreign language, or as the gift of interpretation being given to those present: the ability to understand the tongues (each person in his own language)."

So its just babbling if no one,even themselves understands a word?..
    Does it mean that they are speaking in a foreign language they themselves dunno?

"Its use (including use in this article) sometimes also embraces Xenoglossy - speaking in a natural language that was previously unknown to and that is not understood by the speaker."

I once heard of an account where someone spoke in tounges, and of course, to that person, it sounded like gibberish. But there was someone else beside that person, a visitor in the church - a Japanese lady, and that the 'tounges' spoken was actually a form of Jap dialect. The conclusion was that God was speaking to that Jap person through the first person, who was worshipping in tounges.

As defined in the wikipedia article, 'speaking in tounges' can be any language that's unfamiliar to the speaker. So it can even be say, Tagalog for someone who has never known the Philipino language.

If you listen to a congregation speaking in tounges here in SG, you would notice certain prevalent trends and repetitions in the 'shapes' and 'sounds' of the words used. I have no idea what they mean, but i just noticed it that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    "Its use (including use in this article) sometimes also embraces Xenoglossy - speaking in a natural language that was previously unknown to and that is not understood by the speaker."

I once heard of an account where someone spoke in tounges, and of course, to that person, it sounded like gibberish. But there was someone else beside that person, a visitor in the church - a Japanese lady, and that the 'tounges' spoken was actually a form of Jap dialect. The conclusion was that God was speaking to that Jap person through the first person, who was worshipping in tounges.
    So this means that the content of the language was actually meant for the Jap person and the speaker is like a messenger who dunno the content itself?

Only if the message can be understood by the intended recipient then?

Generally, yes, or so it appears to be.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfreak View Post
    some ppl tell me its the language of angels.

i'm not a christian so i dunno.
    So, it can mean that it is an angelic language only the angels understand.

Also, it can be a foreign language the speaker doesn't understand but meant for a listener who understands it.

It seems that in whichever languages, the speakers will not be able to understand?

The church I went must be angelic language because the whole church is speaking - when everyone is speaking in tongue, there is no listener right?

Blog Entries

Thread will be locked and all members are remind to observe CS Term of Use esp #3.
    http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=63954