Thread: Filters essential for landscape and nature?

Default Filters essential for landscape and nature?

I need to move my pictures up to the next level and decided to take the plunge into creative filtering. I don't like to filter but sometimes the saturation of the sky and greenery aren't quite there.

I'm on a budget and don't want a box of filters I won't use so after trawling the web these are what I've only been able to decide on a ND grad for skylines.

Any other recommendations?

If you dun have a polarizer yet, get one
    Flickr :: Alpha 850 :: 50F1.4 :: 28-75F2.8 :: 17-35F2.8 ::

I would recommend the following:

1. ND - for silky waterfall effect, or to allow slower shutter speed in general.
    2. Graduated ND - for equalizing the brighness of the sky and ground objects, dso that you don't get over-exposed skys.
    3. Polarizer - to deepen blue skies, increase contrast in the clouds, and to minimize reflection on shiny surfaces.

Thanks.

Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Default Re: Filters essential for landscape and nature?

Originally posted by MoriMori
    I need to move my pictures up to the next level and decided to take the plunge into creative filtering. I don't like to filter but sometimes the saturation of the sky and greenery aren't quite there.

I'm on a budget and don't want a box of filters I won't use so after trawling the web these are what I've only been able to decide on a ND grad for skylines.

Any other recommendations?

I would recommend you to get a CIRC POLARIZER.

Sample shot taken yesterday with a polarizer.

Weather was warmth and hazy

S=1/160
    F=6.3

S=1/400
    F=2.8

Good luck.

Doods

Default Get a Cokin type ND Grad....

Hi There.....

Personally i would advice you to get a Cokin type ND filter as if you use a ring type, then you will be restricted to central graduation which gives you less control of composition.

With a Cokin type, the graduation point can be chosen and more flexible.....e.g higher up the image or lower.

Regards,
    Sulhan

jcryan55
    Guests

try looking at what someof the filters used by the famous landscapephotographers.Most of them invest in Lee Filters or Singh Ray filters. No prejudices but if u r so serious abt the photo quality, it may be worth the buy.
    Some exampls of the photgraphers are:

Galen Rowell....uses hispatented Sinngh Ray ND filters (costs a bomb but considered a king class filter, not available locally)

Joe Cornish...spokeman for Lee Filters.

Originally posted by jcryan55
    try looking at what someof the filters used by the famous landscapephotographers.Most of them invest in Lee Filters or Singh Ray filters. No prejudices but if u r so serious abt the photo quality, it may be worth the buy.
    Some exampls of the photgraphers are:

Galen Rowell....uses hispatented Sinngh Ray ND filters (costs a bomb but considered a king class filter, not available locally)

Joe Cornish...spokeman for Lee Filters.
    One thing that's not apparent until you actually own and use them is that you'll need the 100mm wide "Lee" series of ND grads if you are using a lens wider than 17mm, that pushes the price up to 150 USD per filter and about 130 USD for the filter holder and wide angle ring from B&H. Buy all 6 filters in the ND grad range and it's no change from 1100 USD by the time you add shipping.

The are however excellent, but frankly are not required unless you are shooting professionally or have money to burn.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!